Wondering how to determine woofer size without specs

Anonymous
I was just wondering how you go about measuring the woofer driver size in a speaker. This may seem like a really stupid question but I do not have any specs on a set of speakers (and I can not find them), and I need to determine what crossover frequency I should set on my surround receiver. There is a chart in the receiver manual about what crossover you should set based on the size of the woofer used. Unless there is a better way to determine the optimal crossover point for what the speakers can handle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

timn8ter
Are you not able to see the woofer?

Anonymous
Ok, I guess I was a little more confusing then I thought? I just wanted to know what points to measure from. It is ok. I have figured it out. :)

timn8ter
Oh I see. I can understand the confusion. Manufacturers will advertise their driver size based on the entire diameter, frame and all. This is fine for consistency among the makers (in almost every case). It seems an odd way to do it since it's obvious the surface that produces the sound is considerably smaller once you subtract the frame and surround but the only people concerned with that are the designers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us