Marantz sr5011 n Bose acoustimass 6 series 5

Username: Sourabh_rp

Post Number: 1
Can anyone please help me about the compatibility of mentioned speakers and av receiver. Also i am getting it from US so what should be done about the volts and what else precautions should be taken. I am a total rookie.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18451

The receiver can drive the Bose system without problems.

Where do you intend to use this system? A US market receiver will have a 120VAC transformer. If you try using this with any other Voltage, you will destroy the receiver.

If the receiver has not been built to accept universal Voltages, don't throw your money away by using this unit with any other Voltage input.

Changing the power transformer was once a common way to move between countries but not today. It will cost you far more to convert this receiver to, say, a 220 Volt system than it is worth.

You can buy a step down transformer to run 120V components on 220V lines but the max. Amperage for such transformers is intended for things like electric shavers or other small appliances and will not be sufficient for this receiver.

Username: Sourabh_rp

Post Number: 2
Hi Jan Vigne
Thanks for responding
I intend to use it in India as i'll be shifting back. The voltage in India is 220 n i'll be using a step down transformer for both. Can you please also guide me about the use of stepdown transformers
Are those safe !!!
And what wattage step down transformer should i opt to drive both without compromising on their performance ?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18452

You'll need to find the highest sustained Amperage transformer available. Look at the specs for the receiver and it should give you some idea how much current is drawn by the receiver. Give yourself at least a 15-20% margin above that number. If you have any questions, contact Marantz customer relations.

Transformers of this sort are safe as long as they can handle the peak Amperage draw of the component connected to them. Unfortunately, the transformer is the gateway of the power supply which makes it the heart of the amplifier.

A transformer with sufficient current capacity to support this receiver will probably be almost as large as the transformer inside the receiver. It will weigh almost as much and it will cost almost as much as a new receiver with the proper Voltage transformer inside.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18453

You'll need to find the highest sustained Amperage transformer available. Look at the specs for the receiver and it should give you some idea how much current is drawn by the receiver. Give yourself at least a 15-20% margin above that number. If you have any questions, contact Marantz customer relations.

Transformers of this sort are safe as long as they can handle the peak Amperage draw of the component connected to them. Unfortunately, the transformer is the gateway of the power supply which makes it the heart of the amplifier.

A transformer with sufficient current capacity to support this receiver will probably be almost as large as the transformer inside the receiver. It will weigh almost as much and it will cost almost as much as a new receiver with the proper Voltage transformer inside.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us