Help with non-working cassette deck

Username: Freudstein85

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

Can anybody help me figure out what is wrong, and maybe what I can do to fix it, on my cassette deck?

Its an very old 1983 Samsung ST-4277 reciever with built in cassette player. The reciever part works just fine. Awesome sound from that one. And the cassette deck does not work. Or, the fast forward and rewind buttons work, but the play button does not. When I push it down, it will not spin. It does spin when I rewind and fast forward though. I opened it up and the biggest belt spins when I push play, but the smaller belt that makes the "heads" spin does not when I push play.
Anybody?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18432

Nothing other than a combination receiver w/ cassette deck is not a product which was designed to have longevity. Mechanical parts wear and break.

Best bet is to buy another cassette deck if the receiver has options for an auxiliary input.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3455
Best of luck finding parts!
A 34 year old cassette deck still running? Sort of?

Lubes / Oils have dried up or simply 'hardened'. Belts are old / worn / cracked/. Bushings / bearings are worn. Even the motor and associated mechanics might need help or be nearing end of service life.

Are you comfortable working on this kind of equipment? Do you have the service information? How about spare parts? I'd suspect a couple belts, at the least, and cleaning and relubrication also on the list.

When you press the play button, can you HEAR the motor working? First Clue, IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us