Newbie Question - B&W w/ Sony ES

TedW
I have been looking at home theatre systems for my basement. The room is L Shaped and the home theatre would be in the corner of the room. One section of the L has a bar in it and the other is a large open area almost big enough for a pool table (not wide enough). So basically to the left is open (Bar) and behind is open room. The previous owners had a cherry corner cabinet and shelves built in. Next to it is a fire place.

As a result, there really isn't any place to put a floor speaker. I am looking to purchase B&W 601s as fronts, B&W LCR60 as center and LM1s as rears. I chose the LM1s since they are wall mount. I haven't decided between the B&W sub and a paradigm sub. I am planning to power all of this with a Sony 3000ES reciever.

The local places have been helpful, but they are obviously interested in making money and aren't partial IMHO.

Initially, I looked at satellite speakers but felt the mid range was missing.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good setup or give me a good alternative or some advice if I am making a mistake?

Anonymous
Try Fluance & Kenwood instead. You will love it.

Try buying from a store that will let you take it home. You cannot tell what a system will sound like in your home by listening in a store, and you have some unusual acoustics. I just purchased a speaker from a store that gives a 7 day return period. Other stores will give you a credit and let you trade up. So you want to store out inexpensively since you can't trade down. This way you can listen in your home and make sure it sounds good there. BTW, I just auditioned the B&W LCR60 center and wound up purchasing the B&W LCR600 instead. It sounded much more natural.

TedW
I just looked at the FLUANCE website and it doesn't look like they make bookshelves to begin with. Kenwood is a little too mainstream for me. Anyone else?

TedW
Thanks Orcrone. I will check with the store. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of stores to choose from in my area of Ohio. Do you know what the price difference between the LCR60 and 600 were? I may consider that as an option.

Jei
I am insulted, Fluance isn't in the same league. You will love the B&W but I recommend a Denon w/ B&W
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us