12" 200 watt sub with a low power amp???

Username: Lukasz6

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 1
i have a spare Orion CO124S 12" Sub. i also have a logitech stereo in my room which has a small 6"sub in it. the 12" sub is rated to max 200 watts rms but is great with a 100 watt amp in the car. the sub in the stereo is only 20 watts rms. i am wondering if i would be able to connect up the sub to the stereo and still get a decent bass? i don't want to pull apart the stereo and test it out just because i don't know if it's destined to be rubbish and i don't want to damage my current stereo, just incase. I do have a ported sub box from a previous stereo that fits a 12" sub i would just move the amp and sub into that box. i know basic wiring as i've installed car stereos, subs and amps before i just wasn't sure about this.

will it work? if not is it worth getting a cheap 4 channel stereo amp for the sub and getting some 6" speakers. I'm on a budget so it would be awesome if i could get some recommendations for like a $50 amp.

thanks so much in advance!

Username: Lukasz6

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 2
i've seen it being done with an 8" 200 watt sub with a similar stereo on youtube. i'm guessing a 12" 200 watt rms sub would be the same as it's the same power? would its still sound crappy and weak bass?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18091

"would its still sound crappy and weak bass?"

Probably. You need to look at the "electrical sensitivity" of the driver and its stated impedance load. Bass frequencies eat up lots more watts than do mids and highs. It's rather unlikely this will be a good match for your amp.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us