Pro amp hookup

Username: Gid58

Post Number: 1
Please help this ignorant audio idiot. I was given a single input 5500 watt amp (new) and bought his speakers, how do I connect my FM tuner, CD player, and maybe TV input, into a single input? What exactly do I need? Please help,Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3250
Need a little more info.
Does the amp have level controls?
Maybe the name / model of the amp in question.
if it is JUST an amp, you'll need a PREAMP to control the level of output.
ANY preamp will include switching for multiple sources, called 'inputs'.

Post Number: 2
Thanks,it's a Pyle Pro Pt4001X. Is a preamp pretty much a (switcher)? I also have a Yamaha EQ, I'm gonna GET BACK at my neighbors who play rap loud all weekends long. I'm gonna give them a flavor of Rock and Roll Thunder! Thanks any info will help me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3251
First, this amp certainly does NOT produce 5500 of any watts with which I'm familiar.
Power claims for many manufacturers are an equal mix of marketing, voodoo, measurement and imaginative specsmanship.
Your standard home outlet is about 1800 watts. A 20 amp circuit is maybe 2200 watts or a little better.
That's at 100% conversion, which ALSO isn't going to happen.

And Yes, you can MAKE a Switchbox with a level control or just a switch box and use the level control provided on the amp.

I presume the EQ is some kind of parametric unit? That's ANOTHER can of worms. Increasing the level by a mere 3db DOUBLES the required power. Most speakers have limits which preclude simple and limitless bass increases. IOW? You'll burn 'em up. And the TWEETERS may be the first to go South.

What do you plan to use as INPUT to this lease breaker? The simple way is just to hook up a CD player, set the level controls on the amp, make sure the CD player is on REPEAT FOREVER and go out to dinner.

When you return, a couple things may have happened. Your door is kicked in and the stereo smashed.
The breakers were flipped off to the house to SILENCE that awful racket. (I'vd done THAT move!) Somebody smashed a window and either put a garden hose inside full-on OR tossed in an incendiary device.

Best case? Maybe your speakers SMOKED and silenced the rig or put it into 'protect' mode.

If you persist, I'd recommend Cerwin Vega Speakers. They'll typically take a beating far beyond whatever you pay for 'em.

I'll come visit you in the Hospital.

Post Number: 3
You made my day while reading your reply, I understand about the EQ, and when I purchased a friends Peavey PV215 speakers for a brother in law deal, and he gave me the amp. and the cables for the speakers,but I need to purchase the input cables. We are gonna fire it up this weekend, I'm gonna warm up the Hood with some Johnny Cash, then when they aren't looking I'm gonna hit them with some Ted Nugent Stranglehold over and over, Let us Pray!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3252
with that on the playlist, your BEST bet is to convince the mob that comes over to burn you out that you are DEAF.
Than try to turn it down later on and don't crank it up too early.
Even if the mob thinks you are deaf, don't push 'em too far or it could get UGLY.

Username: Janoski

Post Number: 7
That seems to be a messy situation [getting blasted on by rap music all weekend long] looking to turn ugly if you even want to return the favor with that. Better have your acting chops ready and make sure to have anyone else in your household or neighborhood to keep your cover and not blow it. That is, if you can sell that at all.

On a side note, this post's about a month old. OP's in a hospital now, fully deaf?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us