Volume Control Knob

Username: Inaba116

Houston, Texas United States

Post Number: 1
Good Evening!

I am trying to install a simple speaker setup to play some music in my house. I am wondering if I am using the wall mounted volume control knob correctly. I did a test and setup one speaker that is directly connected to the receiver and another speaker that is connected through am Audiosource AE100VC. It seems as though the speaker that us going through the volume control is not as loud. Is this normal?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3214
Have you gone thru the setup? You can adjust the AE from 1 to many PAIRS of speakers.
Did you follow wire size recommendation for the length of run? Don't scrimp on that point. 'Skinny' wire has more resistance which WILL cut volume AND can effect other parts of the sound. Really LONG runs will require really BIG wire. The expense will mount up under those conditions.
I would suggest that when the VC is all the way 'up', the 2 speakers should be at equal level. Unless you did the test with the A/B speaker selector on the receiver.

Again, CAREFULLY go thru the setup. The manual is online and whoever sold you the device SHOULD be able to provide some support.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18002

Whenever such a problem arises, you want to begin at the beginning. First, you need to check that the amplifier outputs equal volume without the volume controls in line. Possibly the balance control will need a tweak to achieve equal volume from both channels.

Next,as leo suggests, you need to double check the set up of the vc. With the control knob set to its maximum, the vc itself is essentially out of circuit. (This can be deceiving though since this is a transformer coupled control and your set up of the control can alter the amount of Voltage allowed through the device.) Check the channel balance with the in-wall vc fully advanced and using the amplifier's volume control as your master level set. Make sure the amp's vc is set to its minimum when you first power up the speakers and apply music to the system.

This is transformer type control which means there are multiple taps from the transformer which provide more or less output at each tap. If the controls are not set properly, then an imbalance will result. Also, check for input/output connections on each speaker. If these are reversed in for out and out for in, again, an imbalance might (will) result. Then, if the problem still persists after all these checks, make sure the control and its wiring are not touching any metal electrical wall box.

If the problem still is not resolved, I would make a direct connection between the amp and the speakers at the volume control location. On occasion a nail or staple will be put through one leg of the in wall cabling which will result in higher impedance on that side and lower volume output to one speaker. This is especially important if the wiring was installed before the drywall went up.

And, yes, if none of this fixes the imbalance, contact either the retailer who provided the vc or AudioSource directly.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us