Receiver to weak. Proper preamp/amp for cerwin vega D9 speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Jodavis

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 50
Hi there, I've been on here before trying to get help but been so busy over the year I didn't bother trying to get the right set up for my speakers. Anyway, the cabinate size is similar to the cerwin vega VE-15f's, except that all of the drivers have been upgraded when I bought them and the crossover inside had been modified to suit. Also each speaker has 2 mid range drivers instead of 1. My specs for the drivers in each cab are: 1 Beyma CP12N/N compression tweeter (15watts AES), 2 Beyma 5M30 mids (50 watts rms each @ 8 ohms rated impedence) and 1 Audiopipe TS-AR single voice coil 15 inch woofer (500 watts rms @ 4 ohms rated). My yamaha RX-V861 8-6 ohm receiver cuts off at not that loud listening volume, as the volume is a slow crawl/increase in volume from -80db to 0.0db which is somewhat loud, +16db being max. It's like my receiver is driving very difficult speakers to get them going. The woofers move, but there is very little bass response, oomph, sound pressure whatever for massive floor speakers that have massive 15" woofers capable of 500 watts continuous. Let alone the duo circle port vents at the back. Yes, I have rented a power amp using the preouts and it's the same thing but slightly louder with less volume control. Ive looked up videos of the newer VE 15f models that have a weaker 15" woofer using a NAD preamp and pro power amp and the camera distorts from such high spl bass response. I want to go the preamp/power amp route. What would be a good match? I was thinking a nad preamp and an amp of at least 1000 watts continuous.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17843

So, you're problem is the system doesn't play loud enough with enough bass output?

Bronze Member
Username: Jodavis

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 51
The upper end gets loud just fine. For some reason im not getting enough bass response/moving air as the size and power they can. The woofer flexes when I play loud except there isnt any oommphh, like actual bass frequencies. I hear more noise from the driver working in and out and other things in my room sliding than I do experience anything from two 500watt rms woofers lol. Then the receiver cuts off if I try and go louder.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17846

"I hear more noise from the driver working in and out and other things in my room sliding than I do experience anything from two 500watt rms woofers lol"

I'm afraid your humor has eluded me in that comment. I'll guess you meant to say things are already loud but you want them louder still. Your comment regarding 500 watt RMS woofers leads me to think you are making comparisons to car audio systems. To my knowledge there aren't any high end consumer home audio speakers that employ 500 watt RMS woofers.

Your posts leave more questions than I can overcome. Did the speakers always sound weak in the bass after the rebuild? How do you know the bass alignment is correct between the cabinet/vent volume and the mechanical requirements of the new woofers? What system/program did you use to mate the drivers to the enclosure?

In your intitial post, what is a "weaker 15" woofer"? I don't get the "weaker" idea.

If the sound is already loud - but without sufficient bass - and you just want it louder, how loud are you wanting the sound to be? Doubling wattage only gives you about 3dB of headroom. It all exists at the top of the peaks in levels and not at the average SPL. Doubling the power once again still only adds another 3dB to the peaks. In home audio there is no need for 1k watt amps. Do you agree or disagree?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us