Receiver Reccommendation for Newby

Help. I am an old audiophile that has lost touch. Since having children virtually all my equipment has been broken and is need of updating.

I have great speakers (some old ADS speakers that still sound great), but need a new receiver for audio and home theater. I need recommendations for something in the $400 to $900 price range.

Don't think you can go wrong with a Denon or Marantz. They each have several models in the price range you're speaking of

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are all a cut above the rest, except maybe Harman Kardon. I've always loved their tech raps, but sometimes their reliability is so-so. Denon, Yamaha and Marantz.

Yamaha usually has slightly better signal processing and usually a phono input (if that matters), Denon slightly more balls. Marantz (Philips) is more Denon like me thinks.

po
You can check out the Onkyo lineup as well, the TX-SR600 is around $500 and has a pretty good feature set for that price range.

Yamaha has a great entry level receiver for around $500 too (the 5560 I think).

Anonymous
Listen to the others, but if you go for a Yammy, you will be forfeit to listen to cd music with preciseness and warmth, its more like a craporama, yammy - great for movies, not so for music. I urge you to check out Rotel...they may sound foreign, but they also sound incredible and have HEAPS more power than denon :P <-thats to you denon lovers hahah
www.rotel.com

smilin
My reccomendation would be either the Denon or Sherwood Newcastle I've heard the same made things about onkyo and poor construction quality compents with the MArantz (althought they do sound nice)(this is comming from a repair guy.

Check out AxiomAudio for speakers.

Amir Yanovsky
Stay away from Yamaha as far as you can!
Denon and marantz are great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us