Kenwood speakers - m-audio audiophile

Username: Shantaram

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I don't really have any experience with sound equipment, it seems like a great place to start learning. I was recently given a M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE USB audio interface like this one --> http://www.core-sound.com/audiophile_usb/audiophile_usb.jpg

I have a pair of old Kenwood bookshelf speakers and I was wondering if it'd be possible to connect them to my laptop via the Audiophile interface? The speakers don't have a connector so far, just plain wires that I thought I could attached to an RCA connector perhaps.

However, here's the part I am really confused about: I understand that there might be an amplification issue as the Audiophile has no built-in pre-amp. I guess that those speakers would only work if connected through an amp, am I right?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17564

The unit you show essentially acts as a "pre amp". What you'll need between that unit's output (via an RCA patchcord) and your Kenwood speakers is a "power amp". Something like this would do the job; http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-304 If you use a unit such as that which also inlcudes a volume control - in addition to the volume control on your USB DAC - simply run one volume control all the way up to full rotation and use only one volume control on one unit. You'll be taking one unit's vc out of circuit and treating the power amp stritcly as a power amp and not an integrated amp. So one volume control on one unit and no more than one is being used in the system.

Username: Shantaram

Post Number: 2
Hi Jan, thanks a lot for your reply.
I had the suspicion that I would need something else to make the speakers work.

I am actually also looking for something that would allow me to record vocals and guitar on my computer (thus some interface that would allow me to plug in a XLR microphone and a guitar, perhaps also passing through the Audiophile), is there any piece of equipment that would allow me to do connect all these things (mic, guitar and the speakers)?

Thanks a lot again

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17566

There are several options to explore. They are, however, mostly outside of the typical consumer oriented home audio lines. You'll have to head over to the home recordist/semi-pro studio market. With the prices on digital recording/storage devices falling with each successive season, this is a very broad ranging market right now and highly competitive in both pricing and quality. DAW's (digital audio workstations) are available on line which can range anywhere from getting you started to providing very high quality results for minimal financial outlay. Since the market is moving so rapidly it is not out of the question to think you could pick up a few years old component for a fraction of its original cost.

Try Musicians Friend, any Guitar Center (on line or brick and mortar store) Sweetwater or a dozen other high value retailers who still offer a decent level of customer assistance. Sam Ash is another retailer with whom I've done business. The options you're likely to face will be whether you want one single component which does all you think you want today or whether it is best to break the system into more component parts which can more easily be upgraded bit by bit as you progress. All in one components tend to be cheaper to buy initially but do restrict you to trading in everything in that component when you decide to have better gear. It's your choice as to which will best suit your needs.

What guitar do you own? A '58-59 Gold Top I hope. A '62 blonde Epiphone Sheraton? One retailer at a local show last year had one for sale. He was asking $27k. I have a more recent version of the Sheraton and asked, why so much? He claimed it was the only blonde Sheraton from '62 still known to exist so, since there was no known market value for a '62 blonde Sheraton, he could ask whatever he wanted to ask. I suppose so, though I believe he left that show still in posssession of his $27k blonde Sheraton.

Or, possibly, you have a '52 Telecaster once owned by a famous musician?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us