The most dynamic speakers you've ever heard...

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 956
I am smitten with dynamic speakers. Can you share your experience regarding this please?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17492

"Dynamic speakers"? Do you mean as in not "electrostatic" or "magnelanar" speakers? Not piezo speakers?

What is your definition of a "dynamic speaker"?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 957
I mean the difference between the silence and loud sound is pronounced. I like the L O U D pretty sounds piercing my heart !!!
It's living at best, for me.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17500

If you like L O U D , listen to Classic Klipschorns.

Username: Palange5139

CORNELIUS, OR United States

Post Number: 1
Those are nothing compared to my Janszen Z-824 speakers.....Just sayin

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17502

Nothing?

Well, the Klipschorn is the longest consistently running loudspeaker in any American manufacturer's line. It's also 5' tall and 123 lbs each. Its stated low frequency response is 33Hz, though that can change since the Horn is using the actual walls of the room as the final fold of its bass package. A larger room would provide a longer horn which, in turn, would produce a deeper bass cut off.

Most important, the stated electrical sensitivity of the Klipschorn is 104dB output with only one watt input. That places it in the same league as a small group of the most expensive commercial systems. It can play very loudly with a five watt amplifier. It is the most "dynamic" loudspeaker I have ever encountered. It can make your pantslegs flap with no more than a fifteen to twenty watt amp using the most dynamic program material you can find. It is virtually impossible to overdrive the Horn - you'll be out of the room before it even gets started - and it is only the most foolish who would clip an amplifier running into a Klipschorn. Using a ten watt amplifier, you would be capable of approximately 120dB SPL - about the same volume as a loud rock concert or a jet engine heard from twenty feet distance. That's with only a ten watt amp!

My recollection is the Janzens are in the low 90dB range in sensitivity. Their (manageable in comparison) enclosure size dictates a low frequency cut off almost a full octave higher than the Horns. That would work out to the listener requiring approximately ten to fifteen times as much amplifier power to reach the same SPL in room. It is, if memory serves well, a simple bass reflex box. The tri-fold, back loaded horn of the Klipsch is unique for any speaker systems and quite elegant in its execution - none the more when you consider the Horn's late 1940's origins. The Klipschorn was designed by P.W. Klipsch with no CAD programs, just Paul and an old fashioned slide rule.

I know of no current audio reviewers of note who still use the Janzens as a reference quality loudspeaker. The Klipschorn remains a "go to" speaker in these days of two watt SET amplifiers.

That's "nothing"?

Did I mention you can still buy a new from the factory pair of Klipschorns?

IMO that's "something"!

Username: Palange5139

CORNELIUS, OR United States

Post Number: 3
I did try to get a rise out of you...And it seems I did succeed..I was hoping to get your opinion...Not a copy and paste from Klipschorns website. Although very informative..Not what I wanted to see in return...yet predictable.
No need for me to try and expand on this much in fear of more copy and paste responses?Just a few things tho....
You said your "recollection" ? Do you really recall anything about Z-824? I would guess you have never seen a set let alone heard them? Just a guess mind you...I mean they are one of the rarest most sought after speaker on the *vintage* market. Electrstatic v. ? and in final due to boredom here. Amplifiers aren't the devil. Did I mention you can still buy a pair today, if your lucky at auction for the same price as the msrp when they were manafactured? That says something! Good day sir! happy copy and pasting to you.....

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17503

Self satisfaction is wonderful, isn't it? Unfortunately, in your case, it's totally misplaced.

I sold Klispch for many years and everything I stated regarding the Horn is what I remember about a somewhat unusual product.

However, your response did make me pull out my 1977 "High Fidelity's Test Report".

The eqiuipment: Janzen Model Z-824 (now a Z-824a), a floor standing full range loudspeaker system, in pecan finish wood enclosure. Dimensions: 31 X 29 x 10 1/2 inches (maximum) deep. Price: $790 Warranty: three years (electrostatic elements, ten years). Ship[ping paid one way. Manufacturer: Janzen Electrostatic (Division of Electonic Industries, Inc.), 7516 42nd Ave., N., Minneapolis, Minn, 55427 (as of 11/75)

It's a twin 12" system with eight electrostatic panels up top arranged in an angeld array split down the middle with four panels on each side of the center peak. It has a level control for the panels. Bi-ampable by removing the jumpers between binding posts. "A line cord supplies energizing volatge to the electrostatic elements."

I stand corrected, the enclosure is sealed - not BR - and the crossover is at 800Hz. Janzen rates the system at 4 Ohms.

There is a peak of 16 Ohms at 5kHz.

At 20kHz the impedance is almost 2 Ohms.

It is relatively high in electrical sensivity - for an acoustic suspension enclosure type - but peaks at 109dB (at one meter) "before distortion rises excessively on steady tones".

"Some listeners used the term 'throaty'; in A/B comparisons some described it as 'a little less body' by comparison to some other speakers."

"Some evidence of ringing is visible in 3kHz pulse-scope photos."

"White noise has some coloration, presumably attributable to the 3kHz dip ... "

"Electrostatic elements tend to be beamy ... " (That was a problem with a speaker only 29" tall. That placed the on axis response well below a seated listener's average ear height. I remember that being a strange combination of values, great high end [for the day] but only if you squatted down too low.)

Response is approximately -6dB at 26Hz and 15.5kHz, on axis, referenced to 81 3/4 dB.

The THD is admirably low, somewhat common for acoustic suspension systems of that day.

Not copy/pasted.

Do I personally remember this speaker? I can't say, Janzen was a fading line by the mid '70's and I can't remember the exact Janzen models I had heard at the dealership I frequented. I was selling at another store by that time and I occasionally visited this store to keep up with the local high end audio competition. The shop was more into Bozak Concert Grands - stacked !

But, yes, I remember the generic sound of the Janzen speakers of that time period. A little bit Quad, a little bit Advent and AR with a touch of the Bozak's in there and not at all like the fully horn loaded Klipschorn.

The thread is about "dynamic" speakers. The Janzens don't really qualify no matter how you use the term.

So, what? you just stopped by to brag on your speakers? I see you mentioned them in another thread also. Just thought you'd let us all know you have some old speakers? Yeah, so do I, but I don't splatter that news all over for no good reason.

Now who's full of themself? It sounds as if you've never experienced a pair of Klipschorns and a McIntosh tube amplifier paired together.

And I know I never said "amplifiers are the devil". I said the Horns play very loud with a very small wattage amplifier. And they do. We would occasionally demonstrate them using four watt Advent 400 Table Radio just to introduce/educate people to the benefits of a highly efficient speaker system.

Bronze Member
Username: Ornello

Post Number: 87
The most efficient speaker is not necessarily the one with the greatest dynamic range. In any event, the maximum sound pressure level (SPL) of a speaker is not related to its efficiency. Some very efficient speakers cannot play very loud. They are too delicate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us