Connecting an amp to an AV Receiver

Username: Dichro75

Post Number: 1
Hi folks I have a question about connecting an amp to a 5.1 Surround system. So basically I have a pair of Dahlquist DQ 20's (given to me by a friend) that are rated @ 4ohms. All the 5.1 Surrounds I have looked up simply don't support a 4ohm load. While getting a very high end AV receiver would solve this problem it is not in the budget. I recently acquired a Carver TFM-15 (150w/ch @ 4ohms) to power these 2 speakers but have come to find out that the small 5.1 receivers I am interested in do not have "Pre outs". My question is can I use the headphone out to run to the amplifier in order to power those 2 speakers or will that mess up the surround effect? I have also been told now I need to get a preamp and separate amps for the other speakers but this isn't in the budget either. is there any way around this? The other speakers in the set up are Aperion 4B's as satellites and an Aperion 5C (the rep told me this would match best w/ the Dahlquists) as the center.

Thanks for all help and info!

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1993
If and this is a big "IF", I am understanding you correctly, you intend to use this amp to power speakers using you receiver's preamp? Does your receiver have multizone capabilities. A little clarifying will come in handy here.

Post Number: 2
I don't believe it does have multizone capabilites. That doesn't seem to come in until the midrange receivers. I was just hoping to boost the power to those 2 speakers to avoid any clipping that would probably occur at higher volumes. I see that there is an audio out (RCA red and white). I am looking at the yamaha v473. Am i able to use that output to the carver and boost the 2 front and right mains with it? Right the idea would be to use the preamp in the 473. instead of investing in more components.

thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2885
Super, sounds like just a simple, single 5.1 system install...

If you aren't trying for 'zones', but just want a 5.1, they answer is NO, the headphone output is not suitable. Chances are, it mutes the amplifier outputs, anyway, so even if you Did get a pair of speakers / amp to work, the back channels / center would probably mute.

Your best bet is to go upline.....to the point where you DO have pre outs. That goes to the fronts and the other 3 speakers run from the receiver. That will considerably lessen the strain on the receiver. It will also sound better when just doing stereo music, if that's an issue.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17419

"My question is can I use the headphone out to run to the amplifier in order to power those 2 speakers or will that mess up the surround effect?"

No, you cannot use the headphone out to power a separate amplifier if you wish to maintain the surround functions of the receiver. The 5.1 signals of the surround processor are not similar to the stereo signals coming from the headphone output. Additionally, you would lack virtually all control over the processor which would include speaker to speaker balance, setting speaker size and low frequency cutoff in even the most basic HT receiver. The headphone output jack is designed to drive a much higher impedance circuit (8 to 100 Ohms) than any dedicated power amp would present (0.1 Ohms or only slightly higher) and the impedance mismatch would cause problems in the final sound quality with insufficient drive provided to the power amplifier.

"I have also been told now I need to get a preamp and separate amps for the other speakers but this isn't in the budget either. is there any way around this?"

Not really. A separate pre amp and power amp with surround capacity will be far more expensive than any moderately priced HT receiver which you say is already out of your budget. Buying a stereo pre amp/power amp will present the same simple problems of integrating mismatched components once again.

"I see that there is an audio out (RCA red and white). I am looking at the yamaha v473. Am i able to use that output to the carver and boost the 2 front and right mains with it?"

Same problem, a two channel output is not going to fit into a 5.1 format. You need to step up in price to gain the pre outs of the 5.1 processor in a HT receiver or buy a higher grade receiver in the first place.

Four Ohm nominal loads require a rather drastic increase in current delivery to the speakers when compared to most 8 Ohm nominal loads. The Dahlquist are not easy speakers to drive IMO. Most receivers just aren't built to supply this sort of current vs voltage output. If you keep the volume level down and the receiver has adequate ventilation, you might be able to run the Dahlquist for awhile off a middle of the road HT receiver from, say Harman Kardon who are known for their high current amplifiers. I'm not encouraging you to do this but, if you have no other options, you might consider this and treat the situation as provisional.

Post Number: 3
Yikes. Ok well thank you all for the quick very informative responses. I should have taken my other friend's advice.. Don't involve the DQ's.. they are becoming a thorn in my side (for this application anyway).

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17423

Pieced together systems using "acquired" components are typically disappointing anyway. IMO you'd do best to have a more modest system with no jerry rigged connections.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1994
"Super, sounds like just a simple, single 5.1 system install..."

I don't see where he mentions a particular make or model Leo, but I think you're right.
I guess it's in the RCA/Sony level.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1995
"Pieced together systems using 'acquired' components are typically disappointing anyway."

Strange as this may sound, I know a number of people who have pieced together systems of what they call "vintage" gear. They say that they are pleased with these systems. Personally, I'd pass on these systems and the gear therein.

"IMO you'd do best to have a more modest system with no jerry rigged connections."

Yep! Jerry rigging is to be avoided at all costs.

What kind of budget are you looking at for a receiver Dichro? If it's not too painful to part with them, you may want to sell the DQs and put that money toward a HT receiver from Denon, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer or Onkyo.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2889
Super....with 'gifted' gear....'ya pays your money and takes your chances. Free is usually worth what was paid for it. And system integration takes a backseat. Way back.

Note that jan took about 3x longer to say pretty much what I said, though in somewhat greater detail.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 2017
Exactly Leo, that's why I pass on gifted gear. As for jerry rigging, I've seen people pay the price for doing that. Fried amps are most common. They sure don't smell too good!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2893
Nothing ever works the same once you let the smoke out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2023
Amen to that!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts