New to pre amps need a suggestion for my hk pa 2400

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 17220
IM seeing that depending what one you get can make the type of sound you get feel free to make suggestions right now im not sure of price range.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17221
I see that they make digital and analog pre amps combined I want that for my cd player which is optical output.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17394

You want what? A pre amp with a CD input or a pre amp with a built in DAC? Do you need a phono pre amp too?

You really will have to narrow down a budget since used pre amps can go for as little as $100 and a new pre amp can cost up to $30k.

Why do you want a pre amp when you just purchased an integrated amp? Why not get used to the sound of the integrated amp first, then decide what you would prefer to have to improve on the hk's performance?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17222
Its not a integrated amp it needs a preamp. I recieved it yesterday. Well I did want one with a dac but i dont have too and yes i need one with a cd input if i go the non dac route. 300 - 400 would be my budget but if i need move up i will if the sound quality demands it. I found a adcom gtp 750 is that a good choice for $250? I dont need phono. Heres a picture.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17223
Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17395

Most any pre amp will drive the HK. If your CD player has variable output controls, you don't even need a pre amp. Just run the variable outputs straight into the amp and use the CD's control to adjust volume. In general, stay away from pre amps built before 1985 as most line inputs of that vintage or earlier would tend to overload with the 2V output possible from most CD player's line level outputs. I would not buy a pre amp with a built in DAC since the DAC will be outdated long before the pre amp would be. But you can buy DAC's that can serve as a pre amp if you want.

Beyond that, if you want a pre amp to influence the "type of sound you get", you're going to have to be fairly specific about the type of sound you want. Just buying an Adcom because it fits your budget doesn't quite meet that criteria.

There are plenty of sites which sell pre amps; used, new, good, not so good, with high quality headphone outs and without headphone outs, etc. You can probably find that HK pre amp in the photo if you shop around. What do you think you want? Do you need low impedance outputs to drive long cables?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17224
I think I want to go the cd player with the variable output method. I found a luxman dz 112 that just had the belt replaced what do you think of that as a option for $160?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17397

A Luxman?! I'm not going to spend time researching the player since Lux has not really been in the US since the mid 1980's. I don't remember selling that model but a second generation CD player is not what I would any money into. Given Lux's in/out/in/out again approach to US marketing, even a more recent Lux model is, IMO, asking for disappointment should you need service on a product from a company which doesn't even acknowldege that it built a line of components for US distribution - largely because whoever owns Luz today is not who owned Lux before and the current owners have no intention of being saddled with the failures of someone else's gambit.

Digital moves quickly in some respects and, if you have $400 to spend on a pre amp, spend that same amount on a newer, more well designed and serviceable model from a company that intends to be around for awhile. The same advice applies to CD players; if you want a specific sound quality from the system, you'll first have to achieve that value in the source player before the amp and speakers can reproduce that value.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17225
Ok first I should have told you im not familliar with what is a good brand. The only experience Ive had is in the mass market brands. The only thing ive owned that I dont consider mass market and of any value are my nht classic 4's which i spent 1500 dollars on and is alot to me and to be honest i expected more for the money but they arent too bad. Anyway ive seen these volume controlled cd players only seem to come in mono output and im assuming thats the lesser models and there are stereo ones. I appreciate your help so far Jan.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17399

I've never seen a mono output CD player. The best thinking, in my opinion, is to place the emphasis of the system at the source player. No component downstream can make up for anything left out at the source and no component downstream can correct any errors made in the source player. That makes the front of the
system the most important part of the chain. The speakers can only reproduce the quality of the signal they are fed and better speakers are meant to show you the quality of the signal coming into them. Decent speakers with cheap front end gear will sound like cheap front end gear.

So, are you telling me you don't have a CD player at this point?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17226
That is correct sir. I do not have a cd player. As you can tell im also behind in how things are done technically as well. I havent felt like a noob about something in general like this in a long time ha.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17400

What's the budget for a CD player and a pre amp?

If you have a computer you can devote to use as a source - possibly using an external hard drive to store your files, you can add a USB DAC and use the computer to control volume levels. That might be a reasonably cost effective way to go about putting together a rather high quality system for not much cash.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17227
Yeah actually I was just considering the dac idea tonight. I mean it would be able to hold all of my music and all that stuff wouldnt take up much room. Computers is one thing im not short of either. As far as price id only be in the 300-400 range and I doubt that would buy much. But I could buy one like an hrt music streamer 2 for $150 and save up for another later.

Full scale output: 2.25 Volts RMS
Frequency response: (20 Hz / 20 kHz) 0 dB / -.5 dB
Noise floor: (DC to 30 kHz) 26 uV RMS
S/N ratio: (DC to 30 kHz) 98 dB
THD+N (1 kHz FS): 0.010%
USB to audio output isolation: > 20M Ohm
Data rate: Up to 96 kS/s
Bit depth: Up to 24 bit
USB type: 1.1 or above
Power requirements (USB buss): 200 mA
Dimensions: 4.1" long, 2.1" wide, 1.2" high

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17228
any of these look good?

http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=dac

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17229
http://http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=dac

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17230
audiogon has some too

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17401

You'll have to decide what you might prefer in a DAC. Like I said, the source player sets the tone for the rest of the system when it comes to musical values. At a local audio show this year I heard a very nice system sourced from a laptop and run through the Jolida miniDAC for a little over $100. The system was somewhat like yours in that I wouldn't have put as much emphasis on the speakers as either that system or your own did considering what was in front of the speakers. But the system had coherence and met many of the basic goals of high end audio. I was certainly impressed with what I heard from a very inexpensive front end and I could see that level of performance satsifying many listeners.

If you can live with a single source system which uses the computer to playback discs or files, then right now, a computer based system or a music server would appear to be a viable option. Do some research on the music reproduction of the various DACs and decide what values are important to you, then make a decision. Places such as Audio Advisor have good consultants to assist a buyer and they offer generous return/exchange policies. You can also check for clearance and demo sales, though I wouldn't suggest you buy a product simply because the price has been reduced. Check Music Direct and Elusive Disc also. The number of on line only retailers is overwhelming and you can find good values from small companies who don't go the traditional dealership route. Beware, however, that some of those companies might not be in existence in two or three years if you require service/assistance/upgrades. Caveat emptor.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1998
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help