Blown Fuse in Bose Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System Acoustimass Module

Username: Foxman09aolcom

Post Number: 1
I moved to the Philippines this year and my bose system (Companion 3 Multimedia Speaker System) was delivered this week. STUPID me I forgot to plug it into my transformer (220V standard outlet here) so it stopped working right away and I have NO ACCESS to a Bose repair center :-( . I would assume the main issue is a bad fuse in the Acoustimass module. On other forums I have seen people fix blown soldered fuses in different models of Acoustimass units so I assume I have the same type of fuse to deal with.

Anyway, I'm asking around to find out how to open this unit so I can replace the fuse myself. I heard in some units there is a hidden locking system that needs to be flipped and buttons need to be popped off. I have taken out the screws but it won't open up (due to some flip lock apparently). I don't know what the quartersized wood piece with two holes on the bottom is for but it doesn't move with slight pressure. I thought it was best to leave it alone until I got some directions. People say the lock switch is hidden in the seams (where there is wood and plastic meeting) but I don't see anything. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pry a little bit before something POPS out or what. It's recommended to use a flat head screw driver to access it.

If anyone has a clue how to open this thing please let me know.

Here are photos of the module for reference.

http://imgur.com/a/UBC7G#0

*I don't know if image links are allowed on this forum so I'll upload the photos directly later if the link is deleted*

Thanks everyone

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5630
I've never heard of a hidden lock switch and I doubt there is one. I'd just remove the torx screws around the amp plate (which you seem to have done), and then just pry off the plate with a flathead screwdriver, starting around the amp plate so you don't damage anything. Though, with the shape that thing is in, I doubt that aesthetics is such a bid deal at this point haha. It's likely being a bit tough since there's gobs of glue all over that plate keeping it in place.

Also, just so you know, most modern electronics with that sort of thing will likely have blown power supply units, such as blown caps, resistors, etc. Your saving grace however, is that Bose still use fuses in a lot of their equipment (their equipment isn't very technologically advanced, it's mostly old fashioned and goofy), so you might actually be lucky with just a blown fuse.

Username: Foxman09aolcom

Post Number: 2
Hey Jexx

Forgot to update this forum. I fixed it. I'm glad I didn't listen to your advice haha, I would have ended up destroying the whole module because there were 5 more hidden Philips head screws in the back under what turns out was a sticker. Ya this baby has a few bruises though and now with me removing all the stickers it's getting pretty darn ugly.
This actually does have a fuse and it was blown and I fixed it. Good as new. The circuit board had a note on it about what fuse to use for 120 Volt and 240 volt outlets. So I put in the 240 volt fuse and now I don't have to use a transformer for it :-) . Anyway total cost to fix: 50 cents. Saved myself $149.50

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5631
Glad you got it fixed! And yeah, since Bose still uses a lot of outdated technology, it doesn't surprise me that it just needed a new fuse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us