Receiver that can control the audio volume in 3 areas separately

Username: Emariani

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a receiver that can control the audio volume in 3 areas separately. The source would be the same for all areas and not multiple discrete sources. This is primarily for audio (music) not video/TV. I'm also looking for something with an RF remote possibly. Thanks. The more affordable the better. Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17292

I know of no receiver that independently controls the volume in three discrete areas. You would normally use a speaker switch box and independent volume controls for this sort of installation. There are a few variations on exactly how to set up a system with that combination but those are the prime ingredients for three areas.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14737
Onkyo's NR10xx series AV receivers have powered Zone 2 and 3 as I recall. They would allow for this as long as the source for at least zones 2 and 3 are analog. That said, you can use a Logitech Harmony 900 remote if you want to use an RF remote. This would allow you to convert the RF remote to an IR signal at the AV receiver, which is how I run mine.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17294

Zones and areas are distinctly different animals. Can the Onkyo run the same source to all "zones"? I would think that should be possible.

Username: Emariani

Post Number: 2
Thanks! The Onkyo TX-NR717 looks like it has powered zones 2/3 for $620. This should do the trick. I will also look into a Harmony 900 remote. Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14742
yes, you can independantly select any input source for each zone, thus allowing you to select the same source for all zones if you desire.

The only trick, as with just about all AVRs Ive seen, is that you have to use an analog source for any secondary zone (2, 3, etc)

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1832
Eliot, Denon and I'm sure Marantz and Pioneer also make mulizone receicers. The Denon DRA-397 is a stereo model that will allow you to control the volume in each zone independently. You can set zones 2 and 3 are always on the same source as the main zone. Id imagine the the other brands' models can do so as well. I'd recommend checking all of them out to see which one you like best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us