5.0 Cabinet Speakers in a 17'x11'x10'(WxLxH) space - $850

Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 10
5.0 Cabinet Speakers in a 17'x11'x10'(WxLxH) space within a 26.5'x17.5'x10' room - $850

***For the section between the dotted lines, I have a TLDR for it. Sorry, I know this is long.

Hi guys! So.. I have limited experience with the endless companies that release speakers, as can be said for most people who are simply enthusiasts; I'm looking for opinions. For it to be otherwise, I would need the luxury of having been able to swap in and out all the signature speakers within similar price ranges of each company in a minimally sound altering room. What I can do instead is mix and match characteristic descriptions of suggested speakers and line that up with what I'm looking for. That's in fact what I do.

I will narrow down the field of scope for what I would like as much as possible. Pretty much all of the following will be to help form a picture and ideas in terms of what to suggest, not to limit you with each successive detail though. In other words, ideally yes, but you don't need to be familiar with each thing I mention to make suggestions - just the general idea of the type of sound and a technical grasp for the room environment. Thanks

Firstly, here's a relatively accurate diagram of the room. Each square is approximately one foot. From bottom to top is 17.5 feet: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/Typhoon859/IMG_20120320_185400.jpg?t=13345 41910

The floor and walls are regular wood and drywall. The front speakers would go on the shelves (although really it's like 2.5' tall wooden cabinets). The surround speakers would go on speakers stands. The placement is fairly obvious; any nuances can be figured out; no need for concern in that area. I feel as though the distancing and positioning can be figured out quite ideally.

The diagram should really extend further, but further is simply more of the dining room and then the kitchen. It is all connected and forms a total of 26.5 ft., as suggested in the title.

The speakers are being paired with an Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver.

I will likely extend the setup to 7.1 at some point but for now the rear speakers aren't of concern. The subwoofer budget is around $500-$600 but as there is another section for that, details will be posted in a separate thread.

I was thinking of splitting up the budget for the speakers like so: $175 each for the Front L&R, $200 for the Center, and $150 each for the Side L&R. It can be spread out of course however, although, I feel this makes the most sense. The budget can really only be pushed by $50, $25 more each for the Front L&R I was thinking. Also, these amounts aren't limited to current pricing. If there are ever known deals on whatever suggested speakers, that can be taken into account, no matter how extreme/rare. Those are target prices for the minimum. I will constantly be tracking once I come to a decision.

For the size of the room, I'm thinking 6 ohm speakers would be best? Generally speaking, relative to how speakers tend to be designed, I'm thinking that this would allow for louder sound at lower volumes? From what I understand, this also tends to be better for dialogue. In any case, I'm looking for speakers that don't require a ridiculous amount of power to drive. For the purposes of this setup in particular, it is more for TV and movies than it is for music, although I'd of course like it to sound well with music also. In the end, good speakers are good speakers and at this price range, I don't think I should need to make too many compromises in one direction or another. The only technical compromises for the most part should be just what's mentioned above - no sacrifices in tone as related to music. The sacrifice in that sense here would be the dynamic range in music since more amplification more accurately reproduces differences in volume (less compression) and more uniformly and naturally reproduces middle to lower ranges.

Sound & Tone Preferences-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
With the intended purpose now mentioned, I'd like to now describe the kind of sound I'm looking for, using as many examples as I can from my accumulated experience with music.

In terms of what's worth mentioning specifically about which I understand enough/have enough experience with, the Logitech Z-5500 system, the entry level Onkyo HT-S6100 HTiB, and the Toyota Corolla 2007/2008 JBL Audio System comes to mind. A little strange on that last one, I know, lol.

The first two speaker systems in the above mentioned are fairly popular so my thoughts on it might give some perspective. Of course I will try to shorten the thoughts as not to give full-on reviews. So, as far as Logitech goes, I really like the sharpness of the sound while it maintains a certain warmth to it. The mids kind of bleed into each other so that may be the reason why; clarity suffers for it but the sharpness, probably due to certain spikes in treble, colors that flaw relatively well. The tone of the subwoofer is also great, although boomy. (I got the system for $300, however many years ago it was already, and there's simply no better bang for the buck.) Now, as far as the Onkyo system goes, let's just say this.. The lower mids are impossible to neutralize which constantly gives dialogue a muddy sound and treble is only existent if you're sitting relatively close to the speakers and have them pointed within one degree towards your ears; sense of direction suffers for it. That's probably my biggest negative and a very important issue which needs to be significantly improved upon in the current selection. This is a surround system after all. Now, on the other hand, bass extension for those speakers is decent and the general tone of the speakers is quite nice for music - just lacks excitement in the treble area and often times just sounds muddy. Last thing I would say is that the Onkyo speakers always sound distant in general and definitely so in comparison to the Logitech speakers. An important factor they have over the Logitech on the other hand is natural sound. The Onkyo speakers are natural sounding and less distracting for casual listening while the Logitech speakers' sound is forced.

The Toyota Corolla JBL mentioned stock system is VERY impressive (in the front row of the car and more-so when stopped when no external noise is factored in). It's a fairly common car and maybe some of you guys may have experienced it and took notice (always more noticeable with music you know). In terms of my preference with speakers out of what I have owned, currently own, and have heard from countless other sources and places (cars, the many people's computer speakers, home stereo systems like from the older days, home theater systems), I prefer listening there. Of course, this is relative to lower end stuff but I mean, not all of which is total crap. I could name some specific things but that'd be besides the point. The point is this: the sound feels very close, almost headphone like; the stereo soundstage is decent (I understand that it's designed for the specific space and that everything else I've likely heard wasn't perfectly positioned - a problem which needs to be deliberated when selecting speakers here); and the tone is perfect! It's a little bit on the warmer side, absolutely not fatiguing, and characteristic of the actual sound, so probably relatively flat with a few small bumps in determined areas. Tone for lower frequencies is also quite accurate (listening with Bass: 2) although not quite fully extended. In general, it's just a great balance between a fun sound and accuracy. Only thing I'd say is that it lacks separation, that which also creates problems with clarity. It's for a different reason though, better than the reason than that with the Onkyo speakers. It'd be even worse with them if it weren't for my upgraded receiver to the TX-NR708.

I need to now bring up headphones because apart from the JBL car system, headphones are the other two sources where I enjoy/prefer listening to my music over anything else. The absolute perfect sound through a properly decoded and amplified source (with slightly boosted bass) is with the Brainwavz HM5 (Fischer Audio FA-003) headphones. They are full-sized closed cans and the best way to describe them would be absolutely neutral and unbiased. They play exactly what you give them. They have incredible, perfect separation; you can hear the exact distances of every instrument, voice, chorus, or whatever. You can hear exactly where everything is placed in the stereo soundstage - very fine points all the way from far left to far right. All I can say is that certain songs which are made interesting by the JBL system (due to more of like a collage/blending of the sound and certain boosted areas), kind of sound boring on the headphones even though more accurate and separated. A baby of the two would be a perfect listening experience! That's pretty much what one would be looking for in a surround sound system I would think - certainly I.

The other pair of headphones are IEMs: the Brainwavz M2's. They sound a little bit muffled with VERY SLIGHTLY "overly fun" bass which I correct with my Cowon J3 PMP ("MP3 Player") with it's EQ. The result, I mean, and even on their own, they are otherwise wonderfully pleasant sounding headphones. Amazing natural sounding instruments with very warm (like in a humid wooden cabin) tones. Incredibly fun and full sounding with a signature that very rarely interferes with the intended sound of a song. Overall, just natural sounding...

TLDR-
-I'm looking for relatively flat sounding speakers with potential tradeoffs only for a) a tone slightly on the warmer side, b) SLIGHT peaks here and there for bringing a bit of excitement to the sound, and c) a sense of extension in the soundstage (tricks with tweeters).
-I would like there to be a great sense of presence - for the speakers not to feel distant like my experience with entry level Onkyo speakers.
-Another problem of significant importance and drastic improvement which I'm looking for is sense of direction relative to those Onkyo Speakers. In general it's an important factor which also ends up contributing to soundstage.
-If familiar, I would be fully satisfied with anything similar in design individually or mixed with the Toyota Corolla 2007 (and years further up most likely) JBL sound system, and/or Brainwavz HM5 (Fischer Audio FA-003) monitor headphones, and Brainwavz M2 IEM headphones.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

So that's that! Thank you guys profusely, especially if you read through this whole thing! I greatly appreciate your time! Any suggestions would be helpful - what you think would be the best bang for the buck and fits my preference. Once again, thank you, sincerely!

-David

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17219

Buy some Paradigm Atoms and ignore all of the flaws in your thinking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. What do you mean ignore the flaws in my thinking? There's pretty much only about two sentences where I mentioned that they should probably be 6 ohm speakers which is where something could be "wrong", which also was kinda indicated.

I mean, look, I could just ask, "$850, speakers good for price? Thanx." Then I'd get completely random responses like this one. Is that really a suggestion or are you calling me stupid and randomly saying get those? I honestly don't know. How can I factor those into my decision without any details?

Those are monitor speakers. That's fine and it'd actually be nice if it made sense for me to get those but you gave no indication of that. I'm not sure what you're suggesting here... Get two pairs of those for the front and sides?... And my budget is higher. There's nothing better in your opinion $45 per speaker more (or $20 for the surrounds although less so in that case)?

Thanks for responding though I guess.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17225

Well, the "6 Ohms" bit is wrong.

The speakers won't play louder at low volumes. They'll play as loud as you want by controlling the volume on the receiver. I don't meet many people who want loud at low volumes. Six Ohms has nothing to do with how loudly the system will play. Six Ohms certainly has nothing to do with the size of the room. And, sorry to break it to you, but speakers are not just six Ohms. A speaker's impedance load wanders all over the place and what you need to know are what are the lowest and the highest impedance points - not the nominal value of six Ohms. If a speaker just glanced the six Ohm measurement on its way from 2 Ohms to 64 Ohms, the manufacturer could say it was a six Ohm load. It would not be other than at a few very specific frequencies but the manufacturer could say that. It would also be nice to know the degree of phase angle the speaker presents to the amplifier but that is information that's a bit more difficult to come by. If you had said you wanted to avoid speakers which did not dip beneath six Ohms, that would have been a bit more logical but it really would have resulted in no answers since I doubt any of us have memorized the minimum impedance plot for all the available $175 to $200 speakers.

I'm not calling you stupid. I'm trying to say you have waaaaaay over thought this process and what you've thought about really has no bearing on a good, inexpensive HT system. Your "reference" is a pair of computer speakers? I don't care how good they are in your estimation, they are computer speakers and you are probably sitting about three feet away from them. Do you really want your system to sound like a car stereo? Do you really think that's possible when the average car interior is about 200 cubic feet max. And the speakers only have to fill up that 200 cubic feet enclosure? Oh, and the car - and the room I suppose - shouldn't be moving. Though on a nice gravel road ...

Oh, well, if you're on a gravel road someone 's probably listening in the trunk.

Or, do you really want your system to sound like you are wearing headphones? Even pretty good headphones? You know, like sounds are all inside your head?

I'll tell you it is not going to happen when your system has to fill up what looks to be well over 2,000 cubic feet with one speaker mounted near a wall and the other near open space. And siting the speakers on top of a hollow cabinet isn't going to help the situation. You'l be sitting how far away from these speakers? And you're not moving, right?

Are you driving? You shouldn't. Too many distractions cause accidents and I don't want t be killed by somebody trying to figure out how close his HT system comes to his car stereo when the car's not moving - but the car is moving! And you're about to T-bone me!!!

The Atoms fulfill your requirements for relatively flat frequency response on paper. They are considered to be excellent speakers for anywhere near their price. They are more than good enough that an additional $45 per speaker will maybe gain you nothing but probably actually get you sound that is not as good. The Atoms are not fussy about the amp they pair with but they are good enough to be driven by far more expensive gear than your receiver. What other indications would you like me to state?

Did you not want "monitor" speakers"? I didn't see that in your essay. What does "monitor" mean to you that might disqualify a speaker?

See! you're over thinking this whole thing again!

"Monitor" is just a name manufacturers stick on speakers. Logitech could have said their computer speakers were "monitors" since you monitor what's coming out of the system by using their speakers. You need to stop thinking so hard about all of this. Or, if you insist on thinking so hard, at least figure out what facts are real, what information is pertinent and what is just not going to apply to your HT system - which would be six Ohms, computer speakers, car speakers, headphones, etc. .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
"The speakers won't play louder at low volumes. They'll play as loud as you want by controlling the volume on the receiver. I don't meet many people who want loud at low volumes. Six Ohms has nothing to do with how loudly the system will play. Six Ohms certainly has nothing to do with the size of the room. And, sorry to break it to you, but speakers are not just six Ohms. A speaker's impedance load wanders all over the place and what you need to know are what are the lowest and the highest impedance points - not the nominal value of six Ohms. If a speaker just glanced the six Ohm measurement on its way from 2 Ohms to 64 Ohms, the manufacturer could say it was a six Ohm load. It would not be other than at a few very specific frequencies but the manufacturer could say that. It would also be nice to know the degree of phase angle the speaker presents to the amplifier but that is information that's a bit more difficult to come by. If you had said you wanted to avoid speakers which did not dip beneath six Ohms, that would have been a bit more logical but it really would have resulted in no answers since I doubt any of us have memorized the minimum impedance plot for all the available $175 to $200 speakers."

Yes, read two sentences which I made clear were likely incorrect and ignore everything else I said. I'm beginning to think people like you do this on purpose. I'm looking for help from somebody more experienced, not a lesson on how accurate the things I may have mentioned are. And btw, I know everything you just said about the relation to ohms and about phase. I don't understand it to an overly technical degree (hah, get it? Degree?..), but I know this. I didn't get to edit that paragraph since past a certain point on this forum you can't do so, but I was going to change the paragraph to this:

For the size of the room, I'm thinking 6 ohm speakers would be best? Generally speaking, relative to how speakers tend to be designed, I'm thinking that this would allow for louder sound at lower volumes? This may be just some random claim I heard somewhere which made sense to me at the time. What I'm simply suggesting is that I'm looking for the speakers to be designed not to need a crazy amount of amplification to be decently loud. From what I understand, this kind of design also tends to be better for dialogue. The reason for this is that it'd provided a sense of clarity at lower volumes since mid and lower frequencies would then be less prominent. In any case, I'm looking for speakers that don't require a ridiculous amount of power to drive. For the purposes of this setup in particular, it is more for TV and movies than it is for music, although I'd of course like it to sound well with music also. In the end, good speakers are good speakers and at this price range, I don't think I should need to make too many compromises in one direction or another. The only technical compromises for the most part should be just what's mentioned above - no sacrifices in the tone as it relates to music. The sacrifice in that sense here would be the dynamic volume in music since more amplification would inevitably more accurately reproduces differences in volume (less compression) and more uniformly and naturally reproduces middle to lower ranges. I know I'm contradicting myself a bit but what I'm saying is that I'd like a fine balance between the two, slightly leaning towards the above mentioned design.

Maybe that clears things up better.

"I'm not calling you stupid. I'm trying to say you have waaaaaay over thought this process and what you've thought about really has no bearing on a good, inexpensive HT system. Your "reference" is a pair of computer speakers? I don't care how good they are in your estimation, they are computer speakers and you are probably sitting about three feet away from them. Do you really want your system to sound like a car stereo? Do you really think that's possible when the average car interior is about 200 cubic feet max. And the speakers only have to fill up that 200 cubic feet enclosure? Oh, and the car - and the room I suppose - shouldn't be moving. Though on a nice gravel road ..."

You're responding without fully having read what I said, which would be ok if you weren't flustering about every detail which you have read, incorrectly so may I add. At no point did I say my reference was specifically a pair of computer speakers. And btw, reference to what?... Also, the example with the car system was to give an idea of the kind of sound I ended up enjoying. Most car systems are actually quite crappy, BMW's or whatever it may be. I was talking about the tone of the sound for the most part and yes, I do expect to find 5 speakers good enough for the price not to prefer my car speakers over them, to put it in my own words. I also mentioned that in regards to the car, it was "in the front row of the car and more-so when stopped when no external noise is factored in".

"Oh, well, if you're on a gravel road someone 's probably listening in the trunk.

Or, do you really want your system to sound like you are wearing headphones? Even pretty good headphones? You know, like sounds are all inside your head?

I'll tell you it is not going to happen when your system has to fill up what looks to be well over 2,000 cubic feet with one speaker mounted near a wall and the other near open space. And siting the speakers on top of a hollow cabinet isn't going to help the situation. You'l be sitting how far away from these speakers? And you're not moving, right?

Are you driving? You shouldn't. Too many distractions cause accidents and I don't want t be killed by somebody trying to figure out how close his HT system comes to his car stereo when the car's not moving - but the car is moving! And you're about to T-bone me!!!
"

Okay, I'm actually responding to what you're saying in sequence and I've already been getting this impression but at this point it's been put over the top. Are you insane? I mean, seriously... Why are you going nuts? And the things you're saying... Wow. So irrationally birthed. The things you fixated yourself on are so insubstantial and what you're deducing from these things is mind-blowing. Bro, get it together. I'm sorry, but how else can I respond to this?.. At the very most, if this is truly what you get from what you've read, then make your obtuse presumptions, ignore the post and the idiot that made it, and move on.

"The Atoms fulfill your requirements for relatively flat frequency response on paper. They are considered to be excellent speakers for anywhere near their price. They are more than good enough that an additional $45 per speaker will maybe gain you nothing but probably actually get you sound that is not as good. The Atoms are not fussy about the amp they pair with but they are good enough to be driven by far more expensive gear than your receiver. What other indications would you like me to state?"

Well let's start by saying that initially you made absolutely no indications. Let's follow that by saying that what there is else to say is the many different kinds of impressions one could have of a sound source. That is, if thought about in any form deeper than that of simply its mechanical workings. What you mentioned also doesn't seem to be from personal experience. Instead it's regurgitated information of speakers better known as being "good", same as the Audio-Technica M50 headphones that were constantly recommended to me when I was looking... "They're flat, they're this, they're that". Ended up being the worst pieces of crap ever. That could've easily been avoided if the kind of sound which I described I was looking for was considered in the slightest bit. Of course you need to have at least a little bit of insight and not be a drone that thinks he/she knows it all based on hype and what Dr. Dre says he uses.

"Did you not want "monitor" speakers"? I didn't see that in your essay. What does "monitor" mean to you that might disqualify a speaker?

See! you're over thinking this whole thing again!

HOOOLY CRAP! Lol. That actually made me ROFL. I said nothing! NOTHING! Lol! So insane!.. Even talking to yourself. "You wanted monitor speakers?!!! MONITOR SPEAKERS!!! YOU THINK TOO MUCH!"

But anyway... No, I made no indication that I specifically wanted "monitor" speakers. If there were ones that fell in line with what I wanted, it would be nice though. It's an underlying preference that I have but shouldn't be factored. Sorry, that may be too insightful for you.

""Monitor" is just a name manufacturers stick on speakers. Logitech could have said their computer speakers were "monitors" since you monitor what's coming out of the system by using their speakers. You need to stop thinking so hard about all of this. Or, if you insist on thinking so hard, at least figure out what facts are real, what information is pertinent and what is just not going to apply to your HT system - which would be six Ohms, computer speakers, car speakers, headphones, etc. . "

Lastly... Stop lecturing me using my lines (things I often say myself) and learn to accurately read what's being said. Don't simply make outlandish assumptions without moderation and questioning. If there's something you're trying to place your finger on, ask...

The reason for all the information is so that there is in fact less to ask. For those who are willing, it also gives more of a background. That's all! Take what you want from it. All I can say is that it takes a certain level of intelligence to take what you will correctly. NOT KNOWLEDGE, intelligence... That being the case, even your knowledge is questionable.

Let's leave this at that. It's stupid for you to waste your time on some overly introspective essay writer like me. Enjoy the extrospective sound of your speakers!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17227

Extrospective sound of my speakers"?!!!

You're the one who believes, "more amplification would inevitably more accurately reproduces differences in volume (less compression) and more uniformly and naturally reproduces middle to lower ranges.

Please, leave my speakers out of this, they have nothing to do with such pollywoggle.

"If there's something you're trying to place your finger on ... "

Nope, that's not what I'm doing with my finger.

"ignore the post and the idiot that made it, and move on."

ok, bye-bye, mr. man.

(Sorry, that last may be a bit "obtuse" for a thinker of your calibre.)

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3708
David - To sum it up, your way of thinking is way off when it comes to building your speaker setup. I am not trying to be a pr1ck bud, and neither is Jan, he is just trying to help.

Your "6ohm speaker will be good volume level for my room " bit does not make any sense at all. Why not go as sensitive as possible. Perhaps an 8ohm Paradigm Atom speaker is best. I think Jan's recommendation of the Paradigm Atom is a very very good one. Remarkable performance, within your budget, and even easier to drive than a typical 6ohm rated speaker. Easy to match up to any inexpensive amplifier, and sounds good placed almost anywhere. A very very versatile speaker, while having a performance to price ratio that is amazing.

You never want to compare car audio to home audio. Car audio is terrible at best. Its about as accurate as a drunk man trying to walk a tight rope...errrr. LOL!

Buy the Paradigm Atoms, and enjoy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
"Extrospective sound of my speakers"?!!!

You're the one who believes, "more amplification would inevitably more accurately reproduces differences in volume (less compression) and more uniformly and naturally reproduces middle to lower ranges.

Please, leave my speakers out of this, they have nothing to do with such pollywoggle."

What's funny is that you didn't even get my jest, as expected though.

"Nope, that's not what I'm doing with my finger.

"ignore the post and the idiot that made it, and move on."

ok, bye-bye, mr. man.

(Sorry, that last may be a bit "obtuse" for a thinker of your calibre.)"

I think the problem is that you don't understand English.

"David - To sum it up, your way of thinking is way off when it comes to building your speaker setup. I am not trying to be a pr1ck bud, and neither is Jan, he is just trying to help."

Well, this is the only place where I've gotten such feedback. And no, Jan was not "just trying to help". In no way is that how it's done.

I also really like how you and him based that on that one statement.

"Your "6ohm speaker will be good volume level for my room " bit does not make any sense at all. Why not go as sensitive as possible. Perhaps an 8ohm Paradigm Atom speaker is best. I think Jan's recommendation of the Paradigm Atom is a very very good one. Remarkable performance, within your budget, and even easier to drive than a typical 6ohm rated speaker. Easy to match up to any inexpensive amplifier, and sounds good placed almost anywhere. A very very versatile speaker, while having a performance to price ratio that is amazing."

Yes, indeed the 6 ohm thing doesn't make sense. Read the bold paragraph which I responded with to Jan. Maybe then it'll make sense where that came from. It's not something I got from my technical undemanding and was rather random. That is why that just should've been Ignored completely or simply corrected, not something you use to discredit everything else I've said.

The amplifier, or rather, receiver I got is inexpensive? I think it's more than decent for what I'm looking for, no? In any case, In terms of what's on the general market, it doesn't get MUCH better than that.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

"You never want to compare car audio to home audio. Car audio is terrible at best. Its about as accurate as a drunk man trying to walk a tight rope...errrr. LOL!"

I agree, and that's why I was surprised by the system that I mentioned. What's more funny is that Jan was saying, not exactly but, how my expectations for my home system based on my budget or whatever it is, to match how good it sounds in a car relative to how much easier it is to fill the space... And as I've mentioned multiple times already, I brought that example up to make a relation to the tone more than anything. What you're saying, even if the case here, is irrelevant. Not relevant to why I brought it up. But anyway, thanks again for respoding, sincerely.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17228

By God! Nick, I think he is drunk.

Dave, where else have you posted this question? I'd like to see where you are being sensible - or even just civil - with anyone who responds. There must be one place where that's happened, right?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3709
...... *scratches head*

I did read your bold statement. Why 6ohms though? Why not 8ohms? Easier the load, louder it will get with less current.

I wasn't calling you amp inexpensive. I was just stating the flexibility of the speakers when they can be powered by low cost AVR units or even be placed on higher end separates or integrated amps. Their flexible when it comes to amp matching. Thats all I was stating. The Onkyo is a flexible receiver with decent sound and is also a good bang for the buck. My friend had the same receiver powering Paradigm Monitor series speakers with good results.

I do not agree with your method of putting together a system, however I do not care either. You can put it together how ever you like. The problem here is Jan pointed out your flaws in thinking, and gave you expert directions on how you should go about putting together a good system, that meets your budget. He even gave you a specific model to try. Instead of taking a look around, shutting up, listening and learning, you got offensive, in which Jan or many others will become offended. It is a waste of time to help you any further. We gave you our recommendation.

Here it is again : Take it or leave it :

Paradigm Atom V7's. Go buy 5. Hurry. If not, then jump back in your car to hear the tonal accuracy you require.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"By God! Nick, I think he is drunk.

Dave, where else have you posted this question? I'd like to see where you are being sensible - or even just civil - with anyone who responds. There must be one place where that's happened, right?"

That's ok. I think I'd like to keep those places disinfected.

"I did read your bold statement. Why 6ohms though? Why not 8ohms? Easier the load, louder it will get with less current."

Sigh... Where are you guys from? Where did you even learn to read and by whom? Any conclusions I can make of this are absurd. I'm impressed you even go to a forum.

I am forced to now quote myself...
"relative to how speakers tend to be DESIGNED", as in, with that purpose in mind for whatever reason; "This may be just some random claim I heard somewhere which made sense to me at the time", at the time thinking that it may be some trend, also without any knowledge of how that relates technically with anything else; "It's not something I got from my technical understanding and was rather random", so in other words, it's not a conclusion I personally came to. I said this to you in my last response and you're still dumbfoundedly asking me such questions, rhetorical or otherwise...

"I wasn't calling you amp inexpensive. I was just stating the flexibility of the speakers when they can be powered by low cost AVR units or even be placed on higher end separates or integrated amps. Their flexible when it comes to amp matching. Thats all I was stating. The Onkyo is a flexible receiver with decent sound and is also a good bang for the buck. My friend had the same receiver powering Paradigm Monitor series speakers with good results."

Right... That's absolutely fine. I understand that. "I think it's more than decent for what I'm looking for, no? In any case, In terms of what's on the general market, it doesn't get MUCH better than that." Do you not understand the tone of those statements? Your defensive response defies all logic.

Why am I f***ing wasting my time on this sh!t? Sigh...

"I do not agree with your method of putting together a system, however I do not care either. You can put it together how ever you like. The problem here is Jan pointed out your flaws in thinking, and gave you expert directions on how you should go about putting together a good system, that meets your budget. He even gave you a specific model to try. Instead of taking a look around, shutting up, listening and learning, you got offensive, in which Jan or many others will become offended. It is a waste of time to help you any further. We gave you our recommendation."

In no way, shape, or form did I mention my method of putting a system together. Wtf are you even talking about? To put it simply, all I did was give details of the room arrangement and the limitations on that front and gave details in terms of the kind of sound I was hoping for. So basically you're saying I shouldn't look for speaker based on the kind of sound I like/I feel would be most fitting for the purposes, technically or otherwise. I should instead just go with random speakers which are considered good. Great, I got it. Thanks. <--Just to help you along here, THIS TIME, I was actually being sarcastic with my gratitude.

I can only be respectful to a certain degree, even if I think the response I got is total BS.

"But anyway, thanks again for responding, sincerely."

Apparently sincerity is a made up word. Sorry for thinking a bit more of you than the previous fella here. My mistake.

"If not, then jump back in your car to hear the tonal accuracy you require."

Apparently you missed the part which I even put in italics, "a perfect listening experience", and that was in regards to when I mentioned some sort of hybrid of the car system and the flat response headphones. In other words, that was suggesting the INACCURACY of the car system relative to the ACCURACY of the headphones. Good job at trying to be sarcastic there.

Yes, and AT THIS POINT is when decency is now completely out the window and my unrestrained honest opinion is coming forth. Now you can go ahead and say something which you think is clever and I don't give a f*** as I came here for help - not to rationalize with a couple of morons. Say whatever. This is over. Have a party on this thread if you want. I don't care; it is no longer mine. It was burnt to the ground by a couple degenerates. No point in lingering; I am moving on.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17229

ok, bye-bye, mr. man ... 'scuse me ... bye-bye to "that idiot" who made the first post.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us