Speakers for Yamaha rxv1400

I have recently received a Yamaha RX-V 1400 receiver. I am looking for a speaker set up to go with it. Any thoughts on how an Energy Take 5.2 system would sound. I see people saying that Yamaha receivers sound bright. Is this the case with the Take 5.2 also?

Any suggestions? I am trying to keep things on a reasonable budget, under 1K.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

TR
I am looking at that combo with the Take 5.2. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your receiver and how much did you pay?

Hawk
Jimmy:

Yes, the Takes are a little on the bright side and this would be exacerbated by the Yamaha. Additionally, the takes do not have much of a soundstage--they do not image well, but they produce a surprising amount of volume for such small speakers.

You will do much better with the One Call Home Theater Pacakge (www.onecall.com), which consists of five NHT SuperZeros speakers and a very nice Phase Tech Power 8 subwoofer, and which cost about $590. Only slightly bigger than the Takes (about 1" taller), the NHTs are a whole lot better sounding and will match your Yamaha much better.

TR - email me

Hawk - thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was wondering.

The onecall package seems to be out of stock but I will watch for it. I am going to look around for someone with the NHT speakers around me so I can go give them a listen. Any other speakers you or anyone else think I should think about and try and hear?

Hawk
Jimmy:

If you can't find the SuperZero set from One Call (you are the second person to report them out of stock, but my computer says in stock when I check, so who knows!), then you should check out the newer NHT SB-1s. Ovbiously more expensive, but they are an improvement and are slightly larger than the SuperZeros, with a bigger mid/woofer capable of going deeper in the audio range. I have priced them at $235/pair from Kief's, and the matching Center speaker, the SC-1, is also $235 (MSRP is $300).

Also, check out the AR HC6 set and the Mordant-Short MS-300 system. The latter one does not have a sub included. You may also want to try out some Paradigm Cinema series speakers--they are quite good.

Merlin
I have AR HC6 and they are excellent for both HT and music. I really can't tell how good they are but I have listen to Take 5.2 and I still pick AR HC6 over Take 5.2. In addition, I used to have NHT SuperZeros set up for HT. I would say that they perform better on music over HT. SuperZeros are bass shy. You must have sub to complement them. I sold SuperZeros and went with AR HC6. If you buy them, you won't disappoint; they are excellent. Check this link http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/rosarin1978/AR.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us