Archive through December 31, 2011

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4815
Still on the hunt for a nice integrated. Looking (currently) at a Creek Destiny or the Exposure 3010S. I believe they're somewhat comparable.

You guys have any input on the strengths/weaknesses of both amps.

Art, I believe you're familiar with the Creek amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3546
Got to listen to the Creek Destiny matched with your 6's Dave at my dealer around a year ago and remember being pretty impressed with it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4817
Cool. Good info buddy.

We both know the 6's can be hot on the top end. A good match?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14627
Both of those amps are quite composed and powerful. I like a lot of the design features on the Destiny. I've not done a direct comparison. Ofcourse I would love either of them with the matching cd player...oh yeah! If I had to choose I would probably take the Creek.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4818
Thanks for your input Art.

I'll still be using my CA 650C as a transport and the BDA-1 DAC for a source.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1107
You looking at the Destiny or Destiny 2? I heard the Destiny once with a Saturn and Tannoy Prestige speakers. Very nice. You probably can't go wrong with the Destiny and I would think it would match up pretty nicely with your speakers (MA RS6 still???).

I think the Evo 5350 is the most powerful amp Creek ever made and came out maybe a year ago or so. I might take one home in the fall to try out against my 2010s2.

I can't really comment on the 3010, other than to say I've been told that it's not as good as the 2010s2. Apparently the 2010s (or s2) is more or less a Farlowe design, while the 3010s has been significantly changed. Exposure made their name based on Farlowe's amps and they are liked by a lot of Naim users. That said, I have not heard the 3010s(2) and I'm not sure how true any of what I've been told is about it's performance vs. the 2010s(2).

Love the 2010s2 though...very clear with plenty of low end drive, it's very well liked for rock music and I agree on that front. When I tried a Simaudio i-1 in it's place it lost a lot of that excitement for me. Sim was a little too smooth. The Exposure matches up very nicely with the Simaudio CD.5 though.

Definitely listen to a 3010s, it's more money and should be a better amp, but if I were you I'd compare it to the 2010s2 before plunking down the cash.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14631
Good reminder about the Destiny. The Destiny 2 is killer!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4819
Thanks for the info guys. The Creek I was looking at was the Destiny Art, but I see that there's also a Destiny 2 up for sale. I take it it's worth the extra scratch?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3548
It was a good match indeed David. It also might have been the Destiny 2 now that I think of it. Not sure how old the Destiny is. But this Creek amp was pulled out of the box brand new by my dealer last year so might had been the 2 model. I have read about the Destiny 2 in almost every Hi Fi magazine I use to subscribe to and everyone raved about it. Not that reviews matter but I mean there wasn't a bad thing said about it by anybody.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4820
Just ordered a 3010S2 :-)

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3549
Cool!! Email me when you get it. BOOINNGG.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4821
BOIIIINNGG!

For sure man.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1108
Nice Dave. Will be interested to read your thoughts.

Ever see the MCX series from Exposure? Over $30K for the whole system (well, you'll still need speakers). Now that looks bad@ss!

http://nuke.nonsoloaudiofili.com/Portals/0/TAV%20Milano%202009%20Seconda%20Parte /Hi%20Fi%20United%20-%20P1000305.JPG

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4822
Will let you know when I get it. Hopefully it'll be here by Friday and I can spend some time this weekend getting familiar with it.

Thats nuts!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14633
Congrats, David!

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1302
David,

Enjoy the sound and post some pics when it's all together.

Dave

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4823
Thanks Dak.

Just arrived today. There was a little issue with UPS being retarded (they actually delivered the amp to the wrong house, even though it had the correct address on it).

Got it home safe now and had a few listens on it.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1305
David,

Glad to hear it got there safely, finally. Let us know what you're hearing. Dave

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1110
Whaddya say, Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4832
Hey Guys,

Well I've been living with the 3010S2 now for a few weeks, and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this amp. It has everything; a very detailed, airy high end, great midrange, and rock solid low end.

Here's a couple of comparisons against a few of the recent amps I have owned:

Exposure vs. W4S: The Exposure absolutely clobbers the W4S in the high end. The W4S was almost truncated at high frequencies, and things like high hat and cymbal crashes had no decay. The Exposure has way more attack as well.

Exposure vs. Rega Elicit II: The Exposure absolutely crushes the Rega in the power department. The Rega would very quickly run out of steam at high volumes or with dense (another way of saying Metal) music. I can keep turning the Exposure up until my house is shaking, and it never even comes close to compressing. The one thing the Rega did quite a bit better than the Exposure is PRaT.

Construction wise the 3010S2 is a very solid hunk of metal. It has no bells and whistles and is audio simplicity. Just a power button and two knobs (volume and source). Pretty much the only complaint I have is the cheap plastic remote. That's it.

Sound-wise I would categorize the Exposure as just a bit to the right of neutral (slightly revealing) with authoritative bass. This is not a solid state amp for tube guys, for sure.

I'm looking forward to trying this amp with other speakers, because I think maybe my Monitor Audio RS6 may be just a bit too bright for this amp.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4833
Some pics:

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1111
Nice room. Looks like we might have the same CD rack. I bought mine online from a furniture store.

I agree with your take on the Exposure sound. Overall it's very balanced, but the bass does stick out some and not in a bad way. It's clear but full, and provides a real foundation for the music and lots of drive when required.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4834
Thanks Dan. Do you still have your 2010? Is it the S or S2 model? What speakers do you think compliment the Exposure sound well?

yeah, I bought mine online too. Can't remember where. Once it gets full, I have 2 more empty racks :-)

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1112
I've got the 2010s2. I think I've got some synergy going on with my Simaudio CD.5 and Castle Avon speakers, though I'm still trying to figure out if the Castles rock enough on the harder stuff. They aren't bad. For softer rock (Eagles, Leonard Cohen, etc) they sound excellent.

Like Naim, Exposure is said to mate well with speakers from Neat and Kudos. Never heard this combination myself, but there seems to be consensus around this. Rega speakers would probably work well too. I believe the newer RS line is well thought of.

I'll be trying a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 in my system shortly. I've already parted with my Quad 12L2 and Tannoy DC6. To me they just did not measure up to the Castle.

About a week ago I heard a speaker from the new Totem Element series. The bookshelf is priced at about $6,000, and the floorstander for a few thousand more (then another floorstander for probably a couple grand more). I heard one of the floorstanders, powered by Jadis monoblocks. The clarity and ease with which it seemed to produce sound was just awesome. Needless to say, it's out of my budget. I think Reference 3A makes a speaker with a similar design. In the long run (next five years) I would like to purchase a used pair of 3A de Capo standmounts.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14680
Nice room, David, and nice write up. Doesn't sound like my kind of amp based on your review. What speakers will you try out next?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4835
Thanks Art. That room was a year in the making.

Not sure what to try out next. I still really do like the Monitor Audios. No matter what I'll probably hang onto them since the resale value is really low.

I was think maybe Quad 22L2 would work nicely (keeping with that whole Brit theme) or maybe Gallo Ref's. I've heard Jamie's quite a few times and they are really speakers that just disappear. All depends on finances in the near future. The Quads are much closer in reach, obviously.

Totem Hawks too maybe. Dunno.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1113
The room doesn't look that big. Could you get away with a standmount or relatively small floorstander? I found the 12L2 had way too much bass, so I would wonder how much the 22L2 has. Might depend what they are on though...my stands really seemed to up the bass, though the balance was a lot better when I had the DC6 on the stands. Perhaps that just means the stands weren't ideal matches for the 12L2, or maybe there was some sort of room issue.

I'd also be tempted to move the speakers out a bit. In Jim Smith's book (Get Better Sound) he said that a rack in between the speakers does have a negative impact on the sound. Wasn't sure I bought into it. Well, my rack is in between my speakers and I have little choice in placing it elsewhere, but I did move my speakers out so that they are at least clear of the rack. Adjusted toe in and I must say the improvement is substantial. Whether that is due getting them away from the stand or further away from the wall is hard to say. Would love a room where I could give them even more room to breathe, but that's not in the cards right now.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4836
Good points Dan. I'll address them in order :-)

1) You are correct. The room is very small (10x14). I thought about a stand mount speaker. I still have my very nice (if I do say so myself) homemade bookshelf stands. But I'm sorta afraid I will miss the very deep bass that the MA's provide (almost 32 hz, give or take).

2) Originally I had the speakers moved out away from the back wall and side walls, but then they were too close together and the imaging diminished.

3) There is absolutely nowhere else in the room for the CD rack to go. The room is just that small. In fact, there's no room for furniture at all except for my little couch.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1114
The room is always the most challenging and frustrating thing. I don't know how many times I've rearranged things.

My room is 13.5 x 11. I've got an equipment rack, speakers and CD rack like you do, but also a big desk, credenza and a bookshelf for my LPs. But I don't have the big sofa, only one small chair. My system is on the long wall rather than the short. it was the only way I could squeeze it in and have it look decent and be more functional. Still, my room isn't as clean and nice as yours, and I listen pretty nearfield (about 5' from the speakers). Unfortunately I had to put the chair right up against the credenza. It seems to work though...maybe all the stuff in the room breaks up the soundwaves.

How about a subwoofer? Adding one or two subs is something I'll play around with, eventually.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4837
I'm kinda lucky in the way that I don't have to share this room with anyone. I built it for the sole purpose of music, and it (relatively) sound proofed, and completely dampened.

Room treatments are next.

I've kicked around the idea of bookshelves and maybe a small sub. It's definitely an option.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14685
I have a veritable cube for a room and it's one that floorstanders just won't work in and as a matter of fact I have found any speaker that does under 60hz does not work in my room. Where you place the speakers for the best midrange is not where the bass works. The solution was standmount speakers with limited bass and a sub. I can optimize the placement of the sub and then set it for best results meanwhile my standmounts are where I get the best midrange and high end performance.

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 425
How does the Creek 5350se compare to the nad372? I have a chance to buy one locally for $799.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14985
$799 seems a fair price. What speakers do you have now?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 426
I still have the Nola's Art. The IA is on Audiogon.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 427
I still have the Nola's Art. The IA is on Audiogon.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14993
What's the IA?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 428
The Creek integrated amp is on audiogon. Do you think the Creek 5350SE is a step up from the NAD C372?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14997
I did see that on Agon. 8/10 condition...hmm. It's a good amp but it would depend on what you value in an amp if it's actually better. For $995 you could get a brand new CA 840A (that's $800 off of retail), complete with warranty. Some pretty good ears here can vouch for it.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3608
The CA840a V2 has been put through multiple blind, and non-blind group tests under 2K US and has won almost every time. It has beat the Creek Destiny amps on numerous occasions. Of course, reviews and what other people tend to like in their system is always different. The 840 is an amazing amp. Not your typical budget CA amp that is for sure. Built like a tank and sounds better than amps costing twice its price. Smooth, powerful, detailed with a very well controlled bottom end. Oh and it times well too, and is very musical.

Here is my take on the amp :

http://www.audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=23

I have no experience with the Creek amp. But I can assure you the 840 walks all over the 372 in every area. Plus it has flexibility and connectivity galore.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4885
Nice write up Nick.

I gotta agree with you on the 840A. At 2K it is a sensible choice, and 1/2 price BNIB it's a total no brainer.

Pick up the 840A Mord, you won't disappointed.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 429
Is it better than the NAD 375? Would it be better to upgrade my speakers or the amp?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14999
I'm guessing that the C375BEE which I know to be a great amp and 840A are very different and once again it will depend on what you value in an amp and what sound you are after which is best. They are both class leaders but remarkably different. The C375BEE will be similar in presentation to your C372 but much better and the 840Av2 will be a whole different animal.

Were I in the market and had a grand to spend I would buy the CA just because it is such a remarkable bargain. Heck if you don't like it you can wait until the clearance is over and sell it for darn near what you paid...now is the time to act. I've always wanted to be flush when these great deals go down...you have an opportunity here.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 430
Nice reveiw Nick. Well I guess I'm going to order one. Can't buy one locally. Amazon sells them for $975 and so does Spearit Sound. I should be able to sell my NAD and a new Denon 791 and almost cover the price give our take a few $100. Maybe the 840 will make my Nolas sound better and I will just keep them. I hope they are good sonic match. I wonder if the anti cables will work well with this amp? Merry Christmas to myself!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3611
lol Right On Mordecai.

To answer your question on the 375bee. I agree with Art. The 375bee is a great amp. Its going to bring a lot of the sonic attributes you currently have only better. I cant comment on a straight comparison to the CA 840 as I have not heard the 375bee in my system but I can say this,

The front faceplate is much cleaner on the 840a, u get a 3inch LCD with all 8 inputs located along both sides. They can be read from across the room. each input can be renamed to whatever you like. The LCD brightness is adjustable.

You get Balanced connections with the CA, The 375bee does not. Each inputs gain can be trimmed independently due the CA having a full Relay Volume control. It has preouts just like the 375bee but you can also use a regular input double duty to an AVR so your front speakers can be ran in a Home theater setup, as well as keeping them for dedicated two channel listening. Did I mention the volume control makes a neat clicking noise? lol. Enjoy. Let us know how it matches up with your gear. Give it a good week or even two to settle in with about two hours a day of play time. Mine is still breaking in.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3612
FWIW the CA 840a V2 brings a wayyyyyy different presentation than NAD.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4886
Absolutely! I think mine has completely hit it's stride now. Fantastic match with the B&W 685's!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15003
Mordecai, the anti cables are a nice novelty cable but don't be frustrated if things still don't sound right just move the anti cables along and get some inexpensive quality cable.

The Nola's are a very good speaker so I'm guessing it will sound great!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15004
BTW I highly recommend Spearit Sound. Their customer service is second to none.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4887
I second that. I've bought several pieces of gear from them. Great service.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15006
Mr Dave is your profile up to date...I don't think so?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4888
No sir. I got tired of updating it after changing my gear on a bi-weekly basis. lol....

Like you Art, I am going to get off that ride for awhile now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15008
Right after you update that profile...just sayin'...!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4889
Done! :-)

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15009
Very well then. I must have a look!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15010
I must have missed the whole B&W 685 thing. Are you enjoying them?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4890
Yeah, I was gonna post something about that once I spent a bit more time with them (it's only been a week or so).

I was in the market for new bookshelves for my music room for awhile. The Sierra-1's are great speaker, I still have them actually, but I was finding there was a very pronounced bump in the upper mid-range that I was really noticing in my room.

I went to a dealer here in Ottawa (one of two I deal with) who had the entire line of PSB speakers on sale for up to 40% off, with the intention of auditioning everything but the Synchrony line, which was more than I wanted to spend.

The salesguy recommended I audition some B&W speakers along the PSB. I gotta admit, the B&W were completely off the radar for me. I put them up against the PSB speakers, and they made the PSB's sound congested and closed in, almost like big box store speakers.

I really like the 685's. I liked them so much, if fact, that I A/B'd them with the more expensive B&W CM1 and found them more suited to my taste. They're very warm, natural speakers, with none of that top-end sizzle that a lot manufacturers use to make their speakers stand out in a store.

I bought them.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15012
Outstanding, Dave...congrats. They are a very nice speaker which a lot of folks miss out on because they try to match them up to electronics that aren't up to the task. What color did you buy?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 431
We'll see Art. I like the anti cables. I have the IC's and amp jumpers too. What cables would you recommend? U know I'm just not a believer in expensive cables.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15013
No one is until they try a set that opens their minds and their ears. Some of the best reasonably priced cables I've heard are the Morrow Audio cables. Some AQ and Kimber models are nice as well. Get hooked up with a cable exchange. I found that in the end the Anti Cables gave everything an overbloated spacey sound that I couldn't live with long term.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 432
What is a cable exchange?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 433
What is a cable exchange?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15015
Here is one such company.

http://www.thecableco.com/

There are occasionally local ones and don't forget that most dealers will let you take cables home for demo.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 434
Damn iPhone. Sorry for the double post.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1150
Ha-ha, I might have to give one of these things a roll of the dice. If I can find one for $1,000 in a few months I might do it, as I'm just not ready to part with my Exposure or Anthem amps yet. I really like the Exposure, and I still haven't spent enough time with the Anthem at this point. It would likely be a half year trial with the 840A though, as I am pretty set in the fall of next year to move to a pair of high efficiency speakers (either Tekton or Zu) with a nice tube amp.

Anyways, nice to see you guys enjoying the amp. And the 685's too Dave. Heard a pair once (albeit briefly) and it didn't seem to put a foot wrong.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 435
Any of you listen to classical music with the 840? I've read a few reviews that claim the 840 is a little thin and doesn't have the slam with classical music.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4891
No classical music here Mord.

I do listen to music that requires a lot of "slam" (that you would probably hate, lol).

It is not "thin" sounding.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 437
I actually listen to a wide range of music David but I enjoy film scores with lots of percussion. Good to hear that. So it has plenty of dynamic slam.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15024
It would help if you put your system in your profile, Mordecai. Gives folks a point of reference. I've already forgotten (if I ever knew) what your source is and what you are using for cables, etc.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 438
Good idea Art. I updated my profile. I've not made any component changes in about a year now. I've done some free tweeks and that is about it. I followed your advice and have just been enjoying the music.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15043
That helps, Mordecai. Now I can see at a glimpse what you have. Thank you.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3613
Thin? Nope. Ton of slam.

Dave and I listen to some metal that if heard through a thin sounding Amp would shrill your ears off. It does it all very well.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17023

Classical music?

Slam?!!!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15046
Mahler.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 439
Well maybe I'm not using the correct audiophile terminolgy Jan. I assumed slam referred to the low end.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17024

Words are fungible, Mordecai, but "slam" is not a word I normally associate with classical music. True, the huge Telarc drums used in recordings such as "The Firebird Suite" and Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man"; http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Appalachian-Spring-Fanfare-Common/dp/B000003CSW (I am fascinated and saddened that my plastic computer seakers do not do this music justice. LOL!) have the ability to "slam" with a wave of pressure which actually tends to momentarily push my head backwards or, with large, hyper efficient speakers such as a Klipschorn make pants legs rustle. That is more the exception than the rule in classical music though.

I wouldn't call Mahler's bombast "slam". Holst's "Planets" has moments of truly awe inspiring crescendoes and ethereal silences, both of which lend to the potent dynamics of movements such as "Mars, Bringer of War"; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

However, Wagner (Ring Cycle/Ride of the Valkeries), Tchaikovsy (The Firebird/Sym #4), Mussorgsky (Night on Bald Mountain), Shostakovich (Fifth Sym.), etc lack what I would actually define as "slam" which, IMO, belongs more to modern rock where the performer is actually "slamming" into a wall of sound.

More than anything, classical music has "Authority" I would say.

Horns and woodwinds, even low frequency players such as tubas and bassoons can and should have "authority" but I don't hear them having "slam". Obviously, violins, violas, flutes and chimes can only dream of "slam" while they can cut incisively with authority. Mostly though, where one instrument remains largely earth bound with authority, another soars to the very heavens.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 440
I was mostly interested in knowing if the amp had a thin sound which does refer to the low end. Some of the film scores I listen to have a dynamic range that I thought was referring to slam. Its all subjective anyway when describing a sound.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 441
I ordered the 840 today from Audio Advisor. I've purchased from them in the past and they are close so I should receive the amp on Thursday. They have a 30 day return policy too. It will give me some time for a good listen and decide if I want to keep it. I'm sure I will based on all I've read and heard from owners. This is the most expensive piece of equipment I've purchased (i'm cheap) so far. To get it half price is great because I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. I wish I could have purchased it locally but I can't find a retailer that sells Cambridge Audio.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15049
Mahler's bombast was slam enough to cause my cd player to skip, some years back. I think it was on my Symphony No. 6 SACD by Tilson Thomas. The Planets certainly has it's moments. Do understand what you mean by authority, though.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 442
The 840 will be here Thursday. Picked up the HRT 2+ also. Got a great deal from Onecall.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15073
I'm very close to ordering a Rega Brio-R. Couple weeks at most.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 444
Why the Rega over the 840a Art? Do you have a Rega CDP or turntable? Or do u like the sound/build quality? The price is close is why I'm asking.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3618
The Rega Brio-R apparently has a fantastic Phono stage Mord. Art has a Rega table he would like to use I believe.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 445
That is what I thought Nick. Just for the sake of conversation, What speakers are a good match for the 840A?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3619
I am currently using the Totem Staff speakers with great results. The Totems are a laid back, musical joy ride. I love them. The 840 is really starting to settle in and loosen up. I have never owned a New integrated amp out of the box before so I never got to hear how one changes during break in. I must say, there is a definite break in. Also, the 840a loves to play warm. If you cant leave it on all the time at least turn it on about 20 minutes before playing for best results. Oh, also, when you get it hold down the mode button on the front, then turn off the Volume Ramp so the relays dont click when turning on and off. I am having a lot of fun with this amp. Its a doozy.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4901
I've found that about the 840A too Nick. not only does it sound better when its on (20 minutes sound about right) but it even sounds better after at least 20 minutes of running music through it. Definitely an amp that benefits from warm-up.

FWIW B&W is a good match for CA too. One of my dealers swears by that combo.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15090
Yeah Mord, the Brio-R has an excellent phono stage and the less boxes in my little space the better. I also (probably erroneously) believe that the Brio-R will someday be a classic amp, a bit like the Naim Nait and Nait 2. I must say that I'm enjoying the CA CD player and much like what Nick is describing with his amp this player is opening up nicely. I sold my Marantz CD player today so I'll be ordering the Brio-R by the weekend!

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 446
Good for you Art. I look forward to hearing your review. I see you had a dedicated circuit installed . Mind if I ask how much it cost?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15099
I'm not sure how much it cost because we had Darren do some other work as well. Total cost was around $750. But again I can't really separate out the dedicated line and outlets. Don't forget Mordecai that I also have all of the gear plugged into FIM 880 outlets and frankly they make far more of a difference than dedicated lines do...amazing but true.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15103
Just ordered the Brio-R...

How does that go...boooiiinnng!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4902
NICE!

Booooiiiiing!!!!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15104
The dealer said that the U.S. distributor is out of them for now and that she has 4 coming in tomorrow. Counting mine 3 of them are spoken for. She also said that she is probably going to buy one as she believes (as I do) that this may be one of the most important products of the decade and will likely be collectible...who knows. She said that the phono stage is much better than the Rega Fono Mini that I am currently running...pretty stoked!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3622
Boooinnnnggggggggg! Sweet.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 447
Good for you Art. I read the reviews, sounds like a great piece of equipment. Should sound wonderful with your Harbeths. My 840 didn't arrive today. Audio Advisor included the CA ipod dock ($100 dollar value). A good deal all in all.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15112
Wow, sounds like a great deal Mordecai. I'm digging the CA sound tonight, both in my system and in my wife's. You'll like it I think.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3625
The 840 is a beast. A much more refined sound than his 372. If you were missing clarity, grip and musicality in your system Mord the 840 will bring it.

Art- I would think the CA CDP's neutral open sound would be a great combo with the Brio-R's bag o tricks. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 448
The 840 is in the house! Hope to set it up when I get off work.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15121
Uh oh...Mord's gonna have fun tonight!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15126
The Brio-R is in and I'm on my way to Portland to pick it up!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3628
Cool. Hope to hear some thoughts from the both of you soon.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 449
Double Boooinnnnggggggggg for Art and me lol. Got company tonight, have to wait till tomorrow to set up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us