Constant buzzing and popping sound -- receiver or speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 21
Yesterday when I turned on my stereo receiver, I was hearing a loud buzzing sound with loud popping sounds as well. This is a constant sound and I immediately turn off the receiver since it is such a loud and awful sound. I checked all the connections and everything seems fine. I did not make any setting changes since the last time I used my system. I switched input modes and this did not make a difference; still the same awful noise being produced. I have had this receiver for 10 years and never had a problem like this. The speakers are approximately 7 or 8 years old, but have not really been used much until the last couple years. What could be causing this problem and is it more likely to be caused by the receiver or the speakers?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16962

Speakers are, in most consumer audio installations, purely passive devices. They cannot produce sound unless there is an electrical input driving them. There are very rare instances where a speaker system might produce noises while they are being driven by the amplifier but these would be so uncommon as to be not worthy of consideration.

Most likely the receiver has a problem with its power supply, not uncommon with a 10 year old receiver. Find a qualified repair shop for your receiver's brand and ask for an estimate of repair costs before you spend money on a receiver.

Username: Keshwar04

Trinidad and...

Post Number: 1
My problem is finding a qualified shop for my Hafler 500.
I also have loud popping noises that already blew out two speakers

Username: Keshwar04

Trinidad and...

Post Number: 2
My problem is finding a qualified shop for my Hafler 500.
I also have loud popping noises that already blew out two speakers

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17787

First, place "vintage audio repair" in a search engine.

I believe Atlas Sound in the PA area is still in business and can service Hafler.

You might also contact Audio Classics (NY I think). If you're overseas (from the US mainland), your options are limited and it might be time to let go of a 35 year old amp.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 2241
Doug, it sounds like dust may have gotten into your volume control. I had a receiver with this issue about 10 years ago. There was constant popping and the volume would not change when the volume control was rotated. The technician advised me to replace the receiver as this would be cheaper than having it fixed. Thankfully, I had another receiver handy at the time which sounded better to me with the speakers I was using than the one that popped had.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14871
The problem you're experiencing could be the receiver or the speakers. Most likely the receiver. If you want to check the speakers, open them up and have the electrolytic capacitors checked on the crossover boards. Caps tend to fail after about 10 years or so, if the speakers are older, and they can cause a noise similar to what you heard. I've witnessed this on Sunfire subwoofers and KEF Reference speakers to name a few. More likely though, it's the amplifier stage of your AVR.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us