Orb Blow Audio

Username: Erick66

Post Number: 1
Disappointed. It is how I feel after setting my people's choice Orb Audio speakers. I have a Marantz 5005 and few days after setting the system I made a test on a loud volume (-0,5 dbs). The result: 3 speakers just blew. I followed exactly what was determined in the manuals. Has some one ever had this situation?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16936

No, but I would think it would have been wise to gradually increase the volume until you heard distress from the speakers and then back off. The signal type will dertemine the ability of the speaker to absorb power and survive. Low bass is far more difficult than would be mids and highs. Long duration signals are dissimilar to short percussive signals when it coes to power handling

Whatever power handling spec you see on the speaker is worthless information for this very reason. The basic rule is increase volume until you hear distortion and then back off or you will damage something in the system.

In addition, the input voltage coming to your amplifier will change with different sources. If the input voltage changes, then the relative loudness of -0.5dB will change. I have never seen a speaker owner's manual which suggests you should test the speaker at "full volume". The Orbs are fairly small drivers, they may play reasonably loud for what they are but I would guess you would have blown up most speakers when you increased the level to -0.5dB.

It's not the speakers I would be disappointed with.

Contact Orb and explain what you've done. They will probably replace the speakers or repair them - their call under warranty. But don't check out the repaired speakers in the same manner.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1673
based on the description of what you have done, you had these poor little speakers receiving a full 20-20 signal. At max volume??? no $hit Sherlock! They are only designed to play down to 100hz at max.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us