HK 230 with Energy, Polk or Klipsch - please help

I am pretty much set with purchasing a Harman/Kardon AVR 230 receiver and am confused about which 5.1 speakers to buy. I am looking at the Energy Take 5.2 (although I haven't heard them yet), the Polk RM6700 (with 303 sub) or the Klipsch Quintet II with their sub.

You thoughts and comments are appreciated.

elitefan
You need to audition each set with music/movies you are familiar with and pick what sounds best to you. Good choice on the H/K. Personally I like the Polks best you may not.

Merlin
Have you forgotten Acoustic Research AR HC6? I have one set up in my room and I challenge ANY (Yes ANY) sub/sat system under $1000 to compare and I think my AR HC6 will beat them very easy in sound stage, accuracy and musical category too. Look at the review here for yourself
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/acousticresearch_hc6.htm

Merlin
I forgot to use the quote from The Perfect Vision magazine that describes AR HC6. If you want the full review, you got to pay $3 to download it :)

"AR's new HC6 Home Theater package system combines high performance with stylish, luxuriously finished cabinets for an experience that pleases on every level. Stunning clarity, incredible voice reproduction and extraordinary flat frequency response continue the tradition of AR's Home Theater package systems. The remarkable HC6 achieves full home cinema performance with no compromise of equipment or features. A black, high-gloss piano finish on all system pieces lends a sophisticated appearance that enhances a variety of interior styles. AR's HC6 creates a completely involving home theater environment."

TR
I can't seem to find the HC6 anywhere. I would like to listen to them. Their website seems useless.

Also, does anyone think the jump to the AVR 330 is worth it? I want to set-up some outdoor speakers and I am not sure if I can do that with the 230 (I don't really know how the multi-room thing works).

GT
If you want to set up outdoor speakers, then the 330 would be worth it over the 230. You'd be hard pressed to find the AR HC6 speakers though. If you do, they'll probably be around $400 for the whole systems including sub. You probably won't be able to listen to them before buying. I see it here, but their stock might be low. http://www.thedotcomsuperstore.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=1695

The Energy's and Polks are good satellite speakers. But I wouldn't get the 303 sub, I'd buy the Adire Rava sub or HSU VTF-2 or the new HSU STF-2.

Of course, if the 6700 is a package deal, then you really have no choice on subwoofers. I think you can get the Energy with or w/o sub.

GT
"I have one set up in my room and I challenge ANY (Yes ANY) sub/sat system under $1000 to compare and I think my AR HC6 will beat them very easy in sound stage, accuracy and musical category too."

Merlin,

I found a professional review that says the Energy Take 5.2 is better than your AR HC6. Does a direct comaparison.

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/acousticresearchhc6/index.html

Merlin
GT

So that means Paradigm and PSB Alpha set can't compete with Energy at all??? On audioreviw.com, AR HC6 scores higher than Energy Take 5.2 while Take 5.2 has 13 reviews and AR HC6 has 16 reviews. This website also indicate that AR HC6 in one of the best sub/sat system under $1000.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/rosarin1978/AR.pdf

How about this one? Perfect 100% score on AR HC6
http://www.cnet.com/Acoustic_Research_HC6/4852-6467_7-8726194.html

Tell me what you think GT. I am not say that Energy is bad but I am pretty confident on my AR because the legacy has lived since 1952 .:) Anyway, I used to look for sub/sat system before. I admitted that I looked at Energy, Infinity, Polk, and Paradigm but I stick with AR and I think I made the right decision to buy AR HC6.

Anonymous
may i suggest you try monitor audio speakers for he hk 230. very nice choice in choosing Hk. If your more into budget speakers the bronze series of monitor audio speakers are quite good. may i also suggest you get ecosse 2.3 speaker cable. they are very well matched. and if you have extra dough, you may want to try velodyne subs.

GT
Audioreview.com has speaker reviews by consumers not hi fi professionals. Plus most people paid about $300 more for Energys so the value rating would be higher for the AR HC6. I'm not saying your HC6 is bad, in fact its pretty good, but I've heard both and thought the Energy Take 5.2 is better. The HC6 is definitely a better deal if you can get it for $399 though.

My thought is that if I had $1000 to spend, I would get 5 Ascend Acoustics CBM 170's and a cheap sub. Maybe a NHT Superone package, 5 Axiom Audio M3's and a $300 sub, the Energy Take 5.2 package, Polk RM 6700, Paradigm or PSB. There is so much more to choose from if you have $1000 to spend.

Now if I only had $500 to spend your HC6 would be high on the list. I just think they're are better choices for $1000 which was your orignal challenge.

I think AR is having financial or reorg issues currently. It's getting difficult to find some of their products.

Merlin
GT

Yep, Recoton had filed bankruptcy and AR were being bought by Audiovox. The future is uncertain for AR right now. Anyway, I did have NHT SuperZeros set but I sold them on ebay. If I have to pick among PSB, Paradigm, Energy and Polk, I would definitely pick Take 5.2.

It is nice to hear other people opinion and I believe that I got some other point of views fron you to GT. I just like AR because therir characteristic in sound reproduction. I seem to lean to "laid back" type of speakers more than "bright" speakers.

AR just happens to be cheap because Wreck-co-ton (recoton) were in trouble, so AR mane is droping big time. Hope, to see them get back again though.

Smitty
Yea, it's a pity what has happened to AR. I certainly enjoy my AR 310HOs (predecessor to AR Hi-Res AR9) coupled with the AR AR2C centre. My rears aren't hooked up yet (AR 206HO).

I haven't heard the HC6 speakers but have seen several positive reviews and they do look very nice, they even come with a pair of white gloves so you don't damage the finish :). Having said that though and as much as I like AR I wouldn't recommend buying them right now just because of the financial situation AR is in.

Merlin, FYI if you need parts or service for those speakers you may still be able to contact abtechservices@mindspring.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us