Zone 2 with Onkyo Reciever

Username: Swp4lfe

Post Number: 1
Hello I have a Onkyo Reciever Tx-SR508 . Now I have two speakers in my bathroom ceiling and the reciever is in my bedroom. I also have a central speaker and two ceiling speakers in my bedroom. Now when i want to listen to music/tv while in the bathroom I want to be able to select my Blu ray player or cable as the source. But nothing happens, No sound permits through the speakers. The only time I can hear sound through the zone 2 (bathroom) is when i plug in my ipod in the back of the reciever into the tv/cd Input. Can someone help me understand what do i have to do to get these speakers to work with any type of source with the reciever. (tv, bluray, ipod, cable, etc.)

I can provide further detail if asked.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16802

Do you have an owner's manual? Have you looked for the information there? Unless someone here is familiar with that specific receiver I doubt we can provide the help you require as this was a particular feature on a portion of the Onkyo line and not shared by most other lines. Do you have a link to an online version of the owner's manual?

If no to the above, can you call the retailer you sold you the receiver?

Post Number: 2
Yes I have the manuals and can't understand what I'm doing wrong. Here's a link to the online manual http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-sr508_manual_e.pdf

Any tips will be appreciated

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16805

OK, you haven't provided a lot of information but I'm going to guess the problem is in the sources you're trying to play through the zone two speakers. If the iPod works, then you can assume you have the zone two configuration established. But the iPod only outputs a two channel, analog signal. The BluRay and cable are likely outputting a multi-channel, digital signal.

If you'll set the receiver to a two channel output mode by using the available DSP modes, you might have a work around here - though I suspect Onkyo wouldn't have made this that easy. More than likely, you'll have to run stereo, analog cables to the receiver from the digital sources and set up the source players to output both analog and digital - if that's possible. These analog outputs from the sources will (probably) need to be run to different inputs on the receiver than where you locate the digital signals; say, an "AUX" input. Then switching to the "AUX" input rather than the BluRay input should get you sound from the zone two system.

That's my best guess at this point after reading what Onkyo doesn't explain.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2582
If Jan is right, another approach may be to limit the output of both the BR and the cable box to PCM....

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help. I will buy some analog cables and play around with it when i have some free time.
I dont understand why it doesnt just play simply.

I will post a reply if i get it working or not.

Thanks again

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2583
Did you follow the instructions on page #47? When selecting zone 2 source, you have an 8 second time limit........

Post Number: 5
I found a solution to my problem. I bought some RC cables and put them into the back of the reciever in the " Zone 2 output" and from there i went to my source (blu ray) So now I can hear the sound from all speakers!! Now I will see if I can play music from the blu ray player while still watching tv in the bedroom.

Username: Kodiaddons

Post Number: 1
I have one speaker in the kitchen and their corresponding receive is in Dining Room. But when I want to listen to the songs by blue ray then nothing happens. What can I do now? If you have a solution for this problem then let me know. I also have a website which provides you the information about Kodi Krypton for movies, cartoons, etc.https://crumbles.co/best-kodi-add-ons/

Username: Optratucson

Post Number: 2
Hi everyone. I want to know what are the methods or equipment to use, to sent or transmit strong radio frequency wirelessly to interfere a PA speaker system. I came across the product called hackRF one, but I am not sure if it works. Thanks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3549
I'm sure the FCC might have some input on your plans.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us