PSB Image . . . Monitor Audio Bronze . . . Epos ELS-3 . . . Ascend CBM-170 . . . Can't decide. Grateful for thoughts and/or suggestions

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 1
If I may beg the board's indulgence, I am requesting help from others more (MUCH MORE) knowledgeable than I. I have been reading posts here for months; I have waffled back and forth on the pros and cons of various bookshelf speakers during this period. At one point I even purchased a complete system (minus receiver/amp) online, only to return it upon reading another review after it's purchase.

After much thought, I have narrowed my somewhat-exhaustive search down to the four models noted above. All four have received good reviews from various sources. All are at the same general price point. Regretfully, the only sytem I've been able to audition were the Monitor Bronze, with which I was impressed.

I have just about decided on either the Harmon Kardon AVR-230 or 330 paired with all but the Epos. The H-K's would be compatible with the 6 Ohm PSB's correct? If I go the Epos route, I will most certainly choose the NAD T743 (or possibly the T753 if I forego a sub for a while).

Our listening area is 12' X 20' X 9' with an 8' opening into an adjoining room. My assumption is that the system will be used for music slightly more than with television.

I realize that if I were to ask 20 diferent listeners, I'd probably get no clear majority preferring one brand/model. Without benefit of personal auditions, I must respectfully request the opinions of others who have. One of my primary concerns is that my decision be the right one "on the first take." I'm hoping for years of good, reliable sound with no second-guessing.

I know that, ultimately, this decision should come down to personal preference(s). However, I am certain that we can benefit from the opinions and suggestions of experienced listeners.
If you've read this far, I thank you for your interest (and patience). Any suggestions or advice would be most helpful and much-appreciated. Thanks to all for an excellent forum.

Anonymous

John, I have been seriously considering the PSB's and Ascends, plus Axiom M3's. Thoughts or suggestions anyone please?

Username: Chuck_m

Cincinnati

Post Number: 2
John - I recently got a Marantz amp and the axiom M3's and am more than happy with them. I think the H-K is also a fine choice, with characteristics similar to the Marantz. I was considering NAD at the time, but was scared off by recurrent quality problems I heard about. I also considered the Ascends .... but as well-reviewed as they are, asthetics must be considered at some point, and the Ascends are just too damn homely (IMHO). Check out the Axiom website - a lot of helpful advice even if yopu go with something else. But I think you have to double/triple the dollars before you start hearing anyhting better.

Good luck with it

james monroe
Unregistered guest
my vote hk/psb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us