Diffucult question: bi-amping front speakers with 7.1 receiver

Username: Diplotocus

Post Number: 10
OK apparently this question is difficult because nobody I've met has been able to answer it. Here's the situation:

I have a set of Polk LSi9 speakers (bi-ampable of course), and a NAD T773 7.1 receiver. Is it possible for me to use 2 channels on the NAD that I'm not using (probably the 2 rears) to bi-amp my fronts? I'm not sure if it would increase sound quality that much but I'm looking at it as a challenge. Also, I'm only going to build a 5.1 system, and the only reason I bought a 7.1 receiver is because NAD doesn't even make a 5.1 anymore. I'd love to get my money out of those 2 "dead" channels. Thanks for any help guys and gals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Sorry did not mean to double post. Guess there's no way for a member to felete a post?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 401
If I remember rigth the T773 has pre-main loops for all channels, so yes, you can bi-amp the fronts. Just unplug the jumpers, get two 1xRCA->2xRCA slitter cables, plug them to left and right front preouts, and the other ends to left and right main-amp in and left and right surround-back main-amp in. Then just 'bi-wire' from L&R and SB L&R. Remember to remove the bridges from the speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the info. Will doing it this was cause any problems? It should in theory basically just double my power to the fronts right?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 402
You'll have to adjust volume differences so they will match. Other than that there should be no problems.

I dont think it will double your power, it's not the same as bridging. It will have some affection to the sound, but not the same kind than doubling the power. AVSForums had a very long debate about this and I dont think they ever came to a solution. At least 2x100W is not the same as 200W.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 896
hey landroval i've gotten pretty creative with
the preamp ins and outs with my h/k reciever but
i never thought of trying your idea.

that's the way to think outside the box.

don't know how well it will work but a cool experiment
none the less.

one thing i am doing so i get 7.1 on sacd/dvd-audio is.

spliting my rear outputs from the dvd player and
going to both sets of rear inputs on the reciever
,with some tweaking of levels and speaker placement
sounds much better to me.

to me it's a lot of fun to experiment instead of
allways doing things the traditional way.

Eurosound
Unregistered guest
Check out : http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

for the same bi-amp experiment on a Denon 3805.
Maybe it helps......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us