HK AVR vs HK DPR and HK 7300 vs Onkyo 901 vs Sony ES5000

Researcher101
Unregistered guest
So far I have read every thread on this site and still haven't quite gotten the info I was looking for...But let me say this...Ya'll now your stuff.

At any rate here is where I stand right now in my home theater

I am running all JBL Studio Series speakers: S312s up front, S-Center, S1201 Subwoofer, S38II for Rear Surround, and S36II for Secondary Rear Surround

I currently am using all Monster Cable Ultra THX interconnects and speaker wires (yea I know I bought the Hype)

My current Receiver which was also my first is a 10 year old JVC 884V (Top back then for 5.1) It however has begun to develop several problems including a failing Subwoofer output (Due to a surge through my (now surge protected) old subwoofer) I am using my XBOX as my current DVD player and a JVC 200 Disk Player with Optical Digital connection for CD's and XM Radio Home kit all with top end Monster interconnects..

I have been researching the available receiver scene out there and have come to the conclusion that a decent receiver will cost me in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1500 dollars...which coincidentally is my exact budget for a new receiver.

My tastes are largely an obsession with big sound DVD Movies with the occasional 5.1 or DTS XBOX game... Nearly every DVD I own was purchased for the overall sound characteristics (with the exception of those couple of missed dates from Columbia House DVD Club) Music on the other hand is less of an obsession but still a high priority...

With that huge bag is information out of the way here is the reason for the post

Harman Kardon produces an AVR high power high bandwidth series and a DPR digital path series

Just curious on anyone's thoughts about this as the 7300 and the 2005 are comparably priced and have similar performance characteristics.

Lastly to compare three receivers in the similar price range Onkyo 901, HK 7300 (or 7200), and Sony ES5000.

Thanks in advance for the posts and any possible help ya'll may be able to give me or others reading this thread.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 935
personally i'm not sold on the digital recievers.

and the hk7300 is one heck of a machine. in my oppinion
the sony and onkyo aren't quite in it's league.

that 7300 is a special machine.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 413
I agree with Kegger, the 7000-series is so good in every way, this new 7300 even has some special features like Faroudja DCDi and good headphone processing.

Similar Situation
Unregistered guest
Researcher101,

I'm in a very similar situation. I too have JBL Studio S speakers and am upgrading my receiver. I'm consider the Onkyo and the Denon 2805, as well as others. The principal reason for my wanting to upgrade is that the surround sound just is not that good with my current system (I have the Pioneer VSX D811 and Audioquest wires). Do you know, perhaps because you've heard the Onkyo live, that the receivers you've mentioned, along with the Studio S speakers, will produce the sound you want for DVDs?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 953
i believe you would be happier with one of these recievers
for your jbl's.

i use to run the s38's and the other jbl studios.

h/k, pioneer elite and marantz seem to work really
well for klipsch and jbl series of speakers.

that is just my oppinion but coming from prior experience
that's what worked well for me.

hope that helps.

Researcher101
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys...I just ordered the AVR 7300...Can't wait I'll make a few more posts when it comes in...Thanks for the help and info
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us