Sony ES receivers

Username: Mammy

Post Number: 1
Any thoughts on this line? Right now I plan on pairing them with a combination of Bose speakers and Niles speakers.

I want to make a decision in the next few days. Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 390
Are you interested in the digital amps DA2000 and above? or the analog DA1000?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 510
Robert,
You can do much better than Sonyes and Bose. For my tastes you can't do worse actually. What is your budget and are you planning a 5.1 system or what?

MarcUR
Unregistered guest
Actually, the Sony STR-DA2000ES and models above (ie 3000-5000, not the 1000) are surprisingly nice receivers. My bet is 95% of the people knocking them just assume because its sony, its crap. The new digi-receivers have a surprisingly huge soundstage that is tall, deep and wider than most receivers out there. Definitely worth looking into, especially at the price point.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 511
MarcUR,
No, I am not knocking Sony because it's a Sony. I am knocking it because Sony receivers, including the ES models are very bright and have very poor multichannel power output. If you like bright, go ahead. I have had two Sony dealers in the last year tell me they sell Sony for the name only, they know they are not among the top brands but so many people buy on name only they feel forced to carry Sony for the masses.

MarcUR
Unregistered guest
therealelitefan, have you heard Sony STR-DA2000ES, 3000, 4000, 5000 or 9000 (i've only heard the 2000 and 3000). Unlike the rest of the receivers they produce, I wouldn't characterize these digital amps as "bright", more of a neutral sound. Here's a post on a taper board (people who record live concerts) going into detail some of the pro's and cons of this sony line. Its from doug oade who runs a shop in GA. Personally he's provided me with a ton of info about taping, along with helping me a hell of a lot more than than my local dealer when i ran into issues with my NAD (which i purchased from my local dealer).

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=101&topi c_id=109&mesg_id=174&page=2

Username: Mammy

Post Number: 2
My price range is roughly $2000.

What are some other suggestions on speakers?

I am looking to be educated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
I agree with Marc. The DA1000 is a little brigth, but otherwise near perfect for the price and the digital models are closer to neutral, have lots of power and they're very pleasant to use. Their weakest point is matching with speakers, the big output impedance and uneven frequency responce at different load-impedance is a problem with some speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
Good speakers are B&W, Dali, Dynaudio, Epos, Focal.JMLab, Infinity, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, Revel, Tannoy etc. to name a few.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us