Affordable Speakers/Set-up for college kid on a budget

Username: Protest

Post Number: 1
I really enjoy my music, but unfortunately ive been limited to incredibly disgraceful laptop speakers, and headphoones which are nice but I dont always want them on my head.
I had been looking into computer speakers, which I may still opt for, but if possible a real mid-fi system would please my ears a hell of a lot more.
So my question/requests to you are as follows

1.Can a full system I can run off of my laptop be assembled on the cheap? Ideal is under 150, though I highly doubt this is realistic, so really as cheap as possible.
2. What will this be comprised of? I'm guessing I will need an amp, a couple of bookshelf speakers, will I need a sub as well or will the bookshelf speakers provide enough bass.

EDIT* I guess I should add that my laptop does not have a soundcard. Just based on another thread I happened upon I would need a cable to convert my headphone out to RCA?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16655

Why don't you give these folks a call; http://www.audioadvisor.com/

Ask about the Audio Engine line.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1746
Under $150? not quite. Best Buy sells an Insignia receiver for around $75. You could probably pair this with a decent cd player and book shelf speakers for around $200 to $300 total.

Bronze Member
Username: Klepsydra

Post Number: 36
I've enjoyed my AudioEngine speakers. I've also heard some good things about Behringer's active speakers, I don't find them as attractive but you can find them for a good deal sometimes.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2546
Another dorm-sized speaker is the RSL.

This is an old name from Southern California. The originator recently bought his name back and is back in business. The orignal RSL speakers were a wide line including JBL Studio monitor (JBL 4311s) copies which were every bit as good as the originals. The 'Speed Screens' still have a following.

http://rslspeakers.com/

At the recent THE Show up in Newport Beach (CA>), these and the audioengine both impressed.

Username: Dkstrikesagain

Post Number: 5
I love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's for computer systems I think they sound plenty good with lots of volume...also not too shabby of a sub either I highly recommend them! Also you can get them on newgenoutlet for 100 plus shipping, this is an absolute steal!

Username: Tdey1618

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 3
On the cheap, look into the M-Audio AV-40 to connect to the laptop. You won't need a receiver, interface, or subwoofer. It has a manual bass switch in the back in case you desire more bass.

I used these because I was doing some audio mixing for my band and needed something cheap, powerful and good that wouldn't color the sound too much. So with the AV-40 the quality of the sound you get will be roughly equal to the quality of the music you're listening to.

On the other hand, If you want cheap speakers that color the sound nicely, look into Klipsch 2.1 and there should be quite a few used and new ones. However, I had two sets of 2.1's and they eventually died on me. I had in ear bud headphones from Klipsch as well and they eventually died.

As far as stand alone systems, I don't know as much as the other people here. That's actually why I signed up for an account today!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15427
You signed up to a pretty dead forum. There are some good folks here with some great expereince and advice, however there is a lot more activity at Audio Asylum, AudioKarma, Steve Hoffman and and other forums. Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us