I want YOUR opinions!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Audiophiliac

Boise, ID USA baby

Post Number: 3
Well I finally ebayed the AVR-3802. Along with one of my 2 pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V.2 and my Studio CC. So I have one more pair of 60s to sell and I can start OVER! Its about time too. So I am looking at my options for pre/pro/amp combos and receivers. I will probably go with a receiver for now. I think I will wait til I buy a house to do a dedicated theater with all the goodies. I do work at a hi-fi shop as an installer so I experience a lot of brands and models. We mostly do Marantz, Denon, Rotel, and Krell. Integra, Classe, Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Lexicon...and a ton others we have done or can do. My top picks right now are Denon 4802R, Marantz 8400, Rotel 1056 or 1067, Arcam AVR300....and my newest object of desire is Lexicon's new RV-8. Since I don't plan on using my HT setup for distributed audio/multi-zone, I dont see the need for it, but all receivers over $1000 retail these days have at least a 2nd zone and some of the newest ones have a 3rd. The Lexicon is kind of expensive (even at my price). If I am going to spend more than 3-4k, I might as well spend 5-6 and do a Krell Showcase stack. Or a Rotel 1098/1095/1090 stack. So I am trying to stick to the $1500-$2500 range (retail). My 3802 was flawless and sounded great! So that leans me towards 4802R. Marantz always sound good, but due to a few recent issues, I have personal (read--> stupid) reasons for not wanting one too badly. But still the 8400 is a solid product. I know I wouldnt be disappointed with any of my choices. I am brand new to this forum so I am asking for the input of fellow enthusiasts. I will still make the decision on my own....but I would like to see what everyone else likes. As far as speakers go, I am probably going to end up with Studio V.3 stuff. I can't afford Wilsons (best in the world as far as Im concerned). Martin Logans dont like Metallica very well, B&W Nautils just dont do it for me although they sound phenomenal. I also cant afford the Krell Resolution speakers that I heard for th first time last week.....amazing!! So, for affordable and sounding great, Studio V.3 is it. Much better than V.2. So thats where Im at. Also if anyone has any experience yet with INtegra's new DPC-8.5 6 disc DVD/DVD-A/SACD changer, let me know. I'm skeptical of it but it is the only one on the market (if you dont count Onkyo's stripped down version of the same player). Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!! PS...Loewe rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 388
I think the Rotel and Arcam receivers are a lot more interesting than the very old 4802. The 1067 and AVR300 are the best options I can think of, of cource if you want something even 'cheaper' check the NAD T773, it's very good as well.

You can probably take receivers for home audition from your hifi shop so it will be easy to decide what to choose. Just try everything with your Paradigms at your own room.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophiliac

Boise, ID USA baby

Post Number: 15
Thanks...Yeah I first looked at the Rotel...then we signed on with Arcam and the 300 looks comparable. The Rotel has more flexibility in setup and I know it sounds excellent. I just want something different. Thats why I am looking at Lexicon although it is lots of dollars. :-) thanks for the opinion. And yes I can bring anything home and try it lucky me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us