Dumb Question: Which Wire?

Username: Jerseyguy

Newark, N.J. U.S.

Post Number: 1
I have a dumb question on hooking up wires from my stereo receiver to my stereo speakers.
Does it matter which side you hook up the silver wire and the gold/bronze wire?
Is one color positive and the other color negative? If so, which one is which?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent at every connection. Your owner's manual should tell you which side is the positive connection. Just make that the positive connection at every location and you will be fine.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1752
That's correct. It is just a way of colour-coding, so you can identify the different connectors easily at each end. Then you can connect + (amp) to + (speaker) and - (amp) to - (speaker) for each channel. Essential.

Username: Jerseyguy

Newark, N.J. U.S.

Post Number: 4
Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1755
Len, you are welcome.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Let's go, Tonto. Where's that friggin' horse of mine?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1762
Len, if you find a silver bullet lying near your speaker cable, it is just the cue for the closing credits and a burst of Rossini's "William Tell" overture....

J. Vigne has a mission for righting wrongs, and does it very well, but has this tendency to get carried away. For example, riding off like that, into the sunset, just for effect...

Anonymous

Is there any diff wheather I connect to HF or LF on my speakers? When should I use HF or LF?

Cheers!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
OK, Tonto, shoot the little ...

We have work to do elsewhere. Rightin' wrongs and wrongin' rights. (I hate those rights! Not your rights. The rights who think they own my rights.) Besides, Tonto has to fix me dinner and clean up after the horses.

I would suggest you read your owners manual. They contain the most marvelous materials. If that fails you please contact the store from which you purchased your equipment. They now have your money and you have their equipment. They should be happy to answer all your questions as they come up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1794
I find it is usually the self-styled lefts who think they own my rights. Of course, they are really rights, in disguise.

www.politicalcompass.org

Click on "composers". I coincide exactly with Shostakovich. This is getting scary. I think I shall put that link on old dogs, too, it could do with a tweak. "Discoveries" is getting silly.

Anon,

I, for one, am lost with "HF" and "LF" on speakers. What means this? When baffled, The Lone Ranger and Tonto are apt to resort to political discourse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us