Connecting remote speakers using an extension cord

Username: Zipster1967

Post Number: 1
I have an outdoor theater system and would like to connect the speakers to the amp through an extension cord The grounded type. Can I use the ground lug on the extension for the negative lead on both left and right speakers? I plan on connecting an old computer power cord to the amp using the two power wires as the left and right channel positive connectors and the ground connector connected to both channels negative leads. Then on the other end where the speakers connect I would use an outlet that plugs into the end of the extension cord to connect both speakers. Is there any problems with using this method that I am not seeing?

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1740
Do the speaker terminals on the amp have common ground? If so, using an extension cord may not give the best sound quality. If the amp does not use common ground, I don't believe it would hurt anything, but I would caution you to check it out before going ahead.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16553

First, you'll need to determine whether the amplifier has common grounds for both channels. Most do, but a few do not. Should the amplifier have discrete ground lines, you'll blow up the amplifier with your present scheme. If the amp has common grounds, the wiring will "work" if you make good connections. It's a pretty b*stardized way to go about it when you could just buy a spool of speaker cable for a few bucks and make nice connections without all the kludging around. Don't tell me, you've got this old extension cord laying around and you thought you'd put it to use some how. Home Depot and Lowe's or any hardware store will sell you the appropriate guage of cabling in the exact length you need for about $0.40 a foot.

Sound quality? It's an outdoor theater system, right? Any cable that makes the connections will sound just the same as any other cable that makes good connections. Making good connections is the most important thing here. And this is a temporary connection, right? If not, then don't even think about doing what you've described. Buy outdoor cabling - possibly burial type - and do the job right with water tight, gas tight connectors.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us