Speaker Wiring Question

Username: Delraychris

Post Number: 1
Hello all. I am wiring my parents house for, among other things, basic home audio. It will consist of (2) outdoor ceiling-mounted speakers and (4) indoor ceiling-mounted speakers that will enable them to listen to music.

Zone A: (2) Speakers

Zone B: (2) Speakers

Zone C: (2) Speakers

Each "zone" will have its own volume control knob.

Since each zone has two speakers, I have run a 2 conductor line to each speaker back to the volume knob, for a total 2 lines.

Now then, each volume knob has inputs to 2 lefts and 2 rights (one for L and R for each speaker).

My question is this, can I use ONE Left input and ONE Right input for BOTH speakers instead of having separate left and right inputs for each? I am not concerned with fading left or righ in each zone.

Thanks!

Post Number: 2
total of 2 lines PER ZONE.. sorry.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can install a stereo to mono transformer for the less important areas that will allow both channels to be reproduced by one speaker (in mono). You can buy these at most larger electronic supply houses, choose the approriate wattage. If you are unclear how to wire the transformer someone at the supply store can probably help you.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can install a stereo to mono transformer for the less important areas that will allow both channels to be reproduced by one speaker (in mono). You can buy these at most larger electronic supply houses, choose the approriate wattage. If you are unclear how to wire the transformer someone at the supply store can probably help you.
Your amplifier must share a common ground for this transformer to be used.

Post Number: 3
Would there be an issue to not using a converter?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Sorry I don't understand your question.

Post Number: 4
I am installing in-ceiling speakers into a new home. For example, in one room (i.e., the dining room), I will have two speakers in the ceiling. The wires for each speaker will be run to a volume control. From the volume control the wires will be run to a place near my stereo amplifier.

My questions are these, is there a need for "stereo" sound for the ceiling speakers? That is, the need for the LEFT speaker to contain the left channel only and the RIGHT speaker to contain the right channel only. Can I simply pump both the LEFT and RIGHT Channels into EACH speaker without the use of a "stereo to mono" transformer.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Only if you want to destroy your amplifier as soon as you turn on the system. You cannot combine speaker outputs. That is the purpose of the transformer if you don't want stereo. If you have two speakers in the same room why would you not want to go ahead and use them as a stereo pair?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us