Re doing old radio had some questions

Username: Sweeney316

Post Number: 1
so i want to modernize a old radio unit (like old looks like juke box) would like a reciever that picks up am/fm cd player in it would be nice. size would like 14 long 7 inchs high would be nice size. and need to just power two 6 or so inch speakers and a 8-12 inch sub. would like a hi pass filter with it. and needs to sound nice, not looking to be CRAZY loud but loud enough where it would match a decent house stero. i know car stero not so much home stero. my first idea was to use a car stero set up with a converter to power it from a wall plug. but idk how well or safe that would be. would like suggestions. and being able to expand would be nice. like a cd changer, a record player, all going through one reciever would be nice for later down the road.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16445

If I understand your question correctly, I would suggest you first determine whether what you are about to tear apart has any real value in an "untorn apart" state. Vintage gear can be either junk or gold to the right buyer.

Post Number: 2
it is already striped out nothing works on it. it has an original speaker and the buttons to control the radio. but thats about it nothing else wiring already cut. it would probably cost more to repair then to modernize. and i am not affecting anything cosmetic. using spots that are already there. the way the speaker is mounted is on a peice of plywood that the speaker is mounted on. so i was just going to cut another piece that is the same size and mount the speakers/sub to that and place in same spot. there is a cubby (used for idk what storage or something) that i was going to put the reciever for access. and then the top looks like there was at one point a record player. it is a ge radio f109. like i said only has original speaker and the push button controls THAT IS IT!!!!

Post Number: 3
also the value of the radio has more sentimental value then anything. so it is not being sold. if not made useable will just be used as a piece to look at and remember. but its my g/f's fathers. and it means a lot to him, and he is really into music. so i am keeping all outside aesthetics the same, just want it to be modernized so he can enjoy his vast cd/record/general music collection, and be able to enjoy the history of it considering it was his grandmothers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16447

I guess I'm not understanding just what you're trying to accomplish. OK, the push buttons work but they can't be made to work with new components which lack push buttons. Trying to find a component which fits into a space says what? How will the user access the component? And CD's? How does a CD player fit into a vintage jukebox? Sorry, I just don't see your plan so I can't provide much assistance. You might try contacting Antique Electronics Supply for more assistance. Probably, just putting their name in a search engine will pull up several other sources of information to explore.

Also, you intend to replace the existing speakers or use the existing speakers? You will need to determine whether any existing speakers you might choose to incorporate into the final design are of the permanent magnet variety. Modern speakers do not operate exactly in the same manner as some vintage speakers and attaching an amplifier to the wrong type of speaker could cause some problems.

Post Number: 4
okay sorry i didnt know it was so diofficult for people to understand that im just trying to keep the look of the old radio. THAT IS IT KEEP THE LOOK OF THE OLD RADIO. i am not restoring it. i want to basicly make my own home audio system with- t-wo speakers probly about 6 inch or so speakers like i said, and a 8-12 inch sub. for home audio. then im just going to put the components in the BOX (old radio) speakers were old speakers were. and then the recieve where there is a little cubby in teh front.

so basicly can an-yone just tell me a good set up for inch or so speakers, and a 8-12 inch sub. preferably a cd player with the radio reciever.....that is all i need to know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16449

There are six inch full range speakers available from Parts Express. Subs are also availble from the same source. They also sell amplifiers or you can call Audio Advisor for more options.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us