Please comment/Rate

Username: Enlighten

Post Number: 1
New to the world of Hi Fi, I am looking to buy a cd players for my Music Fidelity A3.2 Int Amp and B&W 604 's
Budget is about $800-1000
The current short list is
MF A 3.2 CDP (Very weak remote like the amp , 24 bit unsampling??; no new age format support)
Sony SCD XA 3000ES
Dennon 2900 (Universal)
As you note I am grappling with the Universal versus Cd only divide also
Appreciate advise

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Look at the Njoe Tjoeb player. It is available from www.upscaleaudio.com.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1739
I would not call DVD-A and SACD "new age", if that is what you mean, as I guess from the mention of Denon 2900. I can, and have, spoken for DVD-A, which I have had for about four months. If you want the best sound quality, that is what you will get, but you have to be willing to consider changing your disc-buying habits, too. My opinion is that there is an inherent limitation on the quality of CD sound that no number of refinements, such as up-sampling, can overcome, bringing it up to the quality of 24-bit 96 (or 192) kHz resolution. There are a people on this forum who had serious reservations, but are now as enthusiastic for high-resolution formats as any. It is a simple fact that a DVD-A or SACD player will also play CDs. This is all true whether or not you want surround sound, which J. Vigne and I have discussed on other threads, for example Teaching an old dog new tricks...

Larry R
Unregistered guest
As a man who values music more than electronics, may I humbly suggest the Denon 2900? John A. is a DVD-A fan - I tend to favor SACD, in part because more and more classical albums are coming out in that format, and because Sony isn't about to cave in unless ten thousand John A.s descend on their doorstep with "cease and desist" orders! G R I N
Call them New Age, or whatever, SOMETHING had to be done re the overall quality of CDs - either tweaking the "old" format, or creating a new one. Those of us who worship at the feet of such notables as Mozart, Copeland, Beethoven and Bach quietly demand that they be heard in the best possible way. Sigh. Wish I had THE answer - but in closing, may I suggest that the Denon will allow you to hedge your bets - and at the same time get a quality product. Oh, yes, you don't HAVE TO listen to SACD/DVD-A in surround sound, you know? Your choice. Good hunting. . . Oh, yes, one final comment - I got into a mud-slinging fight on another forum re that Dutch "hybrid" CD player, the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb. Sigh. It is for hi-end folk who love to tweak as much as they like to listen - and I have my reservations about its merits - personally.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 264
I also think it makes sense to get a universal player so that you can listen to hi-res discs. However, you will most likely give up a bit on the sound quality of CD playback compared to a dedicated CD player. Another option would be getting the Sony flagship SACD player (retails around a grand), which has very good CD sound, but does not play DVD-A. I suggest auditioning the Sony and the Denon 2900.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Wryter

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 13
I'll need it, Two Cents! Am still waiting to see what "goodies" come out on the latest player-models this Fall. I THOUGHT I'd bet on the Philips 963 - or its successor. But I read so many user-complaints Online that I tend to shy away from that brand. They did, as you know, absorb Marantz, which remains, IMHO, a top-line product. We'll see. . . waiting, waiting.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 471
I can recommend the Denon DVD-2900. The CD playback is as good as most mid to good players and the DVD-A and SACD playback are excellent. The on-board DD.5.1 and DTS decoders are again, very good quality and the video signals are outstanding. The unit is heavy, very well built and far too many good featureas to mention here.

I spent ages researching for a good universal player and by most accounts (magazine and i/net) the 2900 came up as one of the best for the money. Have had ours for about 6 weeks and have thrown everything we have at it - and often. At about $AU1000 cheaper than it's nearest rival it's excellent buying! The Denon DVD-2200 is also a great universal player but not quite as good on CD playback.

Read this review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/denon-dvd-2900-dvd-player-1-2004.html

Bronze Member
Username: Wryter

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 21
My Rantz - have you had any experience with the Philips units - esp. the 963? It's soon to be replaced with something - don't know what until September. Guess it's having some problems. I'm waiting until Fall to see whatever comes out then. Things change so fast! But yes - I agree with you - the 2900 is ahead of the pack.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 473
Larry R

Sorry. no exp with Phillips. Like all models, they all get replaced sooner or later - probably not long before the 2900 and 2200 are replaced also. Marantz is releasing it's 500 models and the 400 models (6400, 8400 etc) have barely shown their faces here in Aus!

The 2900 was a costly item for us, but so far, I think it is really worth the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us