That didn't help at all.start again I think.?

Username: Been_a_while

Post Number: 5
Hi all it's me again I got so lost on my last post I put up.so I shall start again I have two nad 2400 power amps and I'm looking for advice on a pre amp and a good cd player I am going to use a set of mission arganauts speakers or I have been looking at the definitive tech bp8080 st floor standing speakers.plus will good cables make a big difference.I don't want to know if tubes are better than valves so keep it simple please as I am a simple person.I like to turn my sound up when I'm chilling in the garden so loud and clarity are what I am need with some good deep base when needed.I listen to all sorts from reggae to classical to the specials.regards Simon.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16420

Here's what I posted in the original thread to a similar request made by you, simon; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/684714.html#POST1960909 Possibly someone would prefer to come into this thread and provide specific models but, IMO, you really just need to do some reading of the archives and make a few decisions regarding the type of sound quality you might prefer.

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1095
I don't want to recommend anything either. As Jan said, there are dozens of options and they will all sound different. What will sound good to you is something none of us can know.

But my first instinct would be, why not try a NAD pre-amp? If you buy the right one, one would think it would match up nicely to your NAD power amp. NAD pre-amps are quite inexpensive (on the used market). You could try one and then move on if you don't like it for whatever reason. NAD's current crop of budget CD players also seem to be well liked.

I wouldn't call this a recommendation, but since you already have a NAD power amp, starting your search with NAD seems logical.

You haven't provided a budget either. Are you looking to get a nice pre-amp and then upgrade your other components around it over time? Or are you simply looking for a good pre-amp for the money that you can insert into your system and leave it that way for years?

Lastly, I'm a bit unclear. Do you already own the Missions, but are considering Def Tech too? Or do you own neither? If the former, I'd play around with the Missions first before considering a change. They might give you exactly the kind of sound you are looking for. And it's very likely that your NAD separates will have little trouble driving them.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1662
Are you eliminating the iPhone from your system Simon?

Post Number: 7
I will get a docking station for the iPod but my main sourse will be cd player.I am now trying to find a nad 1700 monitor series pre amp,am still looking so pre amp sorted just got to find one.!speakers sorted mission,s so I have just need to get a cd player and cables.So as I said in my old post I want loud but clarity.Hope this helps and thank you to the people that have pointed me in the right direction.I'm thinking nad cd player now so what one would be a good one to start with.?? regards Simon.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16423

The CD player has nothing to do with "loud" and nothing to do with "clarity" when you're listening from the garden. I don't understand what your difficulty is then with finding a suitable player. NAD has a long list of players available either new or used.

Post Number: 8
I know cd player has nothing to do with this.but I was asked in one of my older post what sound I want so I'm just answering the question.I have narrowed it down to one of two players the 545 and the 565 so thank you for your help jan.I won't be posting on hear again.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 560
Simon feel free to post as much as you like. Don't take the tone of some responses the wrong way.... it is how some people here communicate.

Now I own the c545bee and it is a nice player. Simple, no frills, and it seems that the issue some units had early on have been resolved. The c565bee costs more (300 or so) but it does offer you some things that the 545 does not. It has a usb input so you can use a thumb/flash drive which is really nice, and sample rate converter, and dual dacs. It also has digital inputs (in the back) so it has versatility.

In hindsight I would have gone with the c565bee due to it's versatility. Most reviewers say the 565 offers more detail over the 545, but some prefer the 545's overall presentation..

If you can give them both a listen with some cd's you are familiar with it would help you make your decision. Here is a video on the c565bee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4Zsr0KtJg

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the advice on players and thank you for the video it has helped me very much regards Simon.

Post Number: 10
Hi all I am looking for nad monitor series 1700 pre amp and a nad 565 cd player I am in the uk and have cash waiting.so if you see one please let me know.regards Simon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us