Turning 12x12 room into a home theater- need suggestions

Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 7
My room mate just moved out and I've decided to turn his 12x12 room into a theater. I'm in the process of buying a 50 HD television, and I'm fairly up on current tv technology. However, it's been 15 years since I did any shopping for receivers and I'm really behind on technology. I know I want at least a 6.1 setup, but I would consider a 7.1. I want a pretty good amount of power, but I hear that "per channel" power is measured several different ways, and I'm clueless. I'm hoping to spend in the neighborhood of $500-$700 for the receiver AND the speakers. I would appreciate anyone and everyones suggestion for a good receiver and or speaker suggestions in that price range. I don't mind doing my own research, but there are just so many things out there its tough to know where to start. Even if you just have a good link that compares different models, that would be a great help.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Why don't you read a few items on "Definitions and Descriptions" under the "Speakers" section of this forum. There are no product recommendations but you might find something interesting.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
By the way, if the room is actaully 12X12 you will have a problem getting good sound because of the dimensions. A 50" screen is also pushing the limits of size for that room.

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 8
Good Call J.
I was thinking about that today. If I were to put the tv up against one wall and a sofa against the other. I wouldn't be able to put speakers behind the sofa. Plus, I'd be sitting pretty close to the tv. So now...it looks like I'll be setting up in the living room. It is 12x24. I'll probably put the tv on one end, and the sofa near the middle. I figure that will give me some distance beside and behind the sofa for surround speakers. thanks for the pointers. Any other suggestions from anyone are welcome.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 67
My first suggestion would be to downsize the tv's budget in favor of better sound but thats just me. I would imagine a 50 inch TV costs a pretty penny and to pair it with a WHOLE sound system costing under $700 seems like it wouldn't be doing the picture justice.

You might find yourself wondering why you are watching this giant image with small tinny sounds accompaning it from a HT in a box setup.

This is just my opinion of course and you can do what you want but I think it you spent a bit more money on the sound portion (perhaps in the thousand to 1200 range?) you would be much more happy with the outcome.

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 9
OknessaD and JVigne
I appreciate your suggestions. I guess I was hoping I could get some very specific suggestions. Like "for a room that size try a Onkyo model whatever and a set of whatever model number speakers". Again, I don't mind doing some research, but I thought I would see what some of you audiophiles are using for a similarly sized room and research the examples. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 69
Well I'm using an NAD T752 receiver and PSB Image speakers all around. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I spent quite a bit more than $700 though.

Let me know some things you are thinking about and what your budget is more specifically. I don't know what is most important to you etc so its tough to give any sort of advice.

Oh, by the way, i'm far from an audiophile so don't let my suggestions lead you astray. I'm fairly new to the mid-fi world after moving up from a cheaper yamaha receiver and a klipsch quintet system (which, btw, is not a bad package that would fit your budget... just didn't give the kind of sound I enjoy now)

Jace

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I seldom make product recommendations on this forum. I think everyone should decide for themselves what is best for their situation. Also I find little value in telling someone they need to hear "X" brand when it is not available in some areas. There are very good values in lower priced audio equipment today. More so than ever before. The computers have made speaker design exremely predictable and eliminated the old "cut and try" method of years past. You can find amazingly good speakers for under $200 (but to be that good there are limitations of absolute volume and bass extension. One of the best in the mini speakers category is the Energy Take 5 and its derivatives.) Amplifiers are a different situation as they tend to be units that are only good on a test bench. They can't deliver current into a real world situation and have a hard, nasty, razor totin' type attitude. Be very careful about the amplifier you purchase. There are some good pieces for not a lot of money but they are few and far between. (Try NAD and Harman Kardon refurbished equipment. Put them into a Google search.) My advice would be to up your budget slightly on audio, downsize the TV slightly (prices are falling on LCD, plasma and DLP [Digital Light Processing] and in another few years you will be able to pick up a really good set for much less than you can currently) and plan for upgrading as the budget allows. A good audio dealer can help you with this type of system but not a Best buy type dealer. Find a good shop and spend some time in there getting ideas. If they are helpful give them your money as they will be a big help in working through your system. I started a thread on this forum under "amplifiers" that was "how you buy and sell audio" that you might want to check out. It came about due to the number of inquiries on this site that were from people who bought stuff on line or at a big box store and then expected to get help from those of us here on hooking it all up or figuring out a problem.

The real matter of my initial post was the fact that you are looking at putting this system in a room with divisible dimensions. Any room that has two or more dimensions that are divisible by a similar number (12 X 12, 12 X 24) will give you problems in achieving good sound. This is because the room "nodes" are self multiplying, which is simply a way of saying boomy and they tend to emphasize certain frequencies over others that are downplayed. I don't know if the dimensions you gave are accurate but if they are you will need some help from a dealer that knows their stuff to get good sound in the two rooms you have mentioned. Find a good dealer and use their experience. This is what they do all day, not just move a box out the door.

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 10
thanks Jace, again I appreciate your time.

My budget is negotiable, but I've been using a $120.00 Sony receiver 80wx5, that I bought in 1989 with a set of $120.00 Sony surround speakers. I'm just looking for something to upgrade it with. I watch alot of dvds. Mostly just 5.1, but a few are DTS. I'm sure anything I buy will be 100 times better than what I've been using. I'm pretty set on getting a 50" or 61" HD tv. It will probably work better in the larger room, but I do want the sound to "match up" well. Again it's 12x24x8. I know alot of folks would suggest a real high dollar receiver, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to spend more than $700.00 or so for the receiver and speakers.

I was reading about the Onkyo HT-S770. It is a 130 wpc home theater system. It looks like it might meet my needs. Anyone have any experience with this model.

Bronze Member
Username: Nealm

Post Number: 31
fredzky, ive heard good things about the Athena Technologies Micra 6 Home Theater Speaker System with Powered Subwoofer ($500) and you could pair it with a refurb h/k receiver if you are willing to do some shopping. id see you spending ~900 on this after taxes are added. i dont know much about the onkyo but i always hasten to buy boxed sets because you end up having to upgrade eventually and then your box set is of no use to you. http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/hometheatersystem.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us