Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.2
Speaker Stands: Atacama Nexus 7

This has served me very well as an entry-level system, especially in
recent years as I've left student accommodation to put the set-up in a
proper sized living room.

However, now I feel myself wanting a bit more 'punch' and would like
advice for an upgrade. To my knowledge, this will involve replacing
either the amp or the speakers with something more powerful. But:
1) Which needs upgrading more, the amp or the speakers?
2) What specifically would you recommend I get?

My budget is up to 1 grand, and at this stage I'm only interested in
replacing one of the two pieces of hardware.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4454
Are you looking to spend 1k GBP or USD? Either way, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

My gut instinct tells me to look at upgrading the 320BEE first. This is assuming the speakers are set up properly and are the appropriate size for the room. If it's a small speaker in a big room, you may get better results with speakers.

I owned the 320BEE for a few years. Excellent integrated for the price. But it's not an amp to take to the grave IMO. You should have a lot of good options in the UK. Get out and hear some gear. Not quite sure about prices over there, but brands like Naim, Rega and Creek should have something in your price range.

Just be prepared to upgrade everything around it. Nothing wrong with upgrading one step at a time. You'll get more for your money that way. I'd look into auditioning entire systems so you have a good sense of what the end result will be. Pieceing things together based on price alone ends up costing far more in money and headaches in the long run.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14535
I would definitely say to upgrade the speakers. I have a set of Diamond 9.1's which I recently replaced with a pair of Pinnacle AC650's from the mid 90's and the difference is not small. They render the Wharfedales unlistenable. Also if you haven't changed out the jumpers on C320BEE that should be the first order of business. The AQ jumpers at $30 are a great choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Black_octagon

United Kingdom

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the replies!

I'm actually in Belgium so '1 grand' means up to 1000 euro, so 1,400 US dollars.

I'm no expert so I can only hope that I have the speakers set up properly. I'm not looking to correct any audio 'deficiency,' just to add some punch. The room is 4.8 x 6.1 (metres), so hopefully that helps.

The Pinnacle AC650s look great (if I can find such an old model in stock somewhere), but will the C320BEE have enough power to do them justice? When I first put this system together eCoustics folks did say that the C320BEE was 'great but far from a powerhouse.'

Also, thanks for the tip about the jumpers. I'm going to do this first thing since, even if I do end up replacing the amp, I'll of course continue using the NAD for a secondary setup. I don't suppose you have a link to a store selling these jumpers? Even in the US is fine, just so I have the reference.

Many thanks!

Bronze Member

United Kingdom

Post Number: 14
Sorry, one more thing. I do NOT have a separate preamp, so maybe this could be a good first additon? As far as I can tell these after-market jumper cables help only if the NAD is connected to a preamp, right? So in my case I would first need to actually buy a preamp (or buy a more powerful amp and use the NAD as a preamp)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, can anyone recommend a preamp? Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14536
I was simply using the Pinnacles as an example. They are old and cost me $10 at a garage sale a few years ago. I'm using an NAD C326BEE to drive Harbeths and my wife uses a C325BEE to drive Era Design 4's, both pretty inefficient speakers.

What my point is that the place where you can get the most improvement in your specific setup is the speakers. Then at some point if you feel you need more than the C320BEE you can look at that upgrade.

Below is a link for the jumpers and remember if you buy them give them a month to run in.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-246-audioquest-psc43-preamp-jumpers-pr.aspx

Bronze Member

United Kingdom

Post Number: 15
Thanks a lot! I've just bought the jumpers.
Now need to decide on which speakers to get....

Bronze Member

United Kingdom

Post Number: 16
What about the Polk LSi 9? They're within the budget, but I'm not sure if the NAD will do them justice...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us