Help - Possibility of one preamp driving 2 separate amps?

Boston
Is it possible to have a single preamp drive 2 separate amps by, for example, using a Y connector? If so, will there be any loss of sound quality. I am considering reconfiguring my system so that my "stereo" speakers (Sonus Faber Signums) will be separate and distinct from my home theater speakers (Totem Acoustics), but I do not want to acquire a new preamp. I will be using a B&K Reference 50 as the preamp, a B&K AV125.7 amp for the Totem Acoustics and a B&K ST2140 amp for the Signums.

ROSEBUDD
Boston,
The best possible set up would be to use two seperate preamps. The problem you have is the signal will pass thru both amps, so one amp will have to either have to be on or off depending on how you want to use them. It sounds as though you have an issue with the speakers you are using. As far as using a y connector, i am using a bi-amp setup for my mains, i've tried both a y adaptor and a pure copper based product from audioquest. If i had to say which had less loss it would be the audioquest product, can't really tell. Have you ever thought of Bi-amping your sonus faber speakers, if your looking for more performance from your speakers this is the best way if they are capable of such a setup. L8R

Black Math
Is it possible for you to either:

a: Connect your stereo amp when you want to listen to stereo by switching your main interconnects from one amp to the other.

b: Get speaker wire with bannana plugs and switch your mains for HT and stereo use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us