Help with Magnepans, NAD T742, Impedance, and worldwide dealers

GK
I just heard about the Magnepans speakers - I didn't fully understand the technology behind them - it seems really strange for me. But everybody seems to give compliments not only for their look but mostly for theis sound quality.

Well I have my new NAD T742 (I guess this is where I sould thank Hawk), which I use mostly for music (classical mostly), and I seem to be very happy with it's sound - detailed and warmed - exactly the balance one would want to listen to. My speakers (Wharfedale Valdus 200)are in a bad situation right now - beacuse my last receiver got them totally damaged - I have to get them repaired. Until then - I get somewhat less than the real NAD quality I guess.

I wondered if there's any chance that the Magnepans could be driven by the T742, or is it too weak. I know it's not rated for 4 ohms. Also - I never understood exactly the full meaning of speaker impedance - it seems all wrong if I think of what I learned in high school :) Lower impedance shouldn't be easier to drive? then why is the Watts into low impedance rated higher than into high impedance?

Last, I live outside of the US/Canada - in Israel, and I have no idea how to find out if Magnepans are available here - where can I find them. It could be real nice if I could get them to try in my home - or at least listen to them in the store.... so if anyone's got a clue about that, I'd appreciate.... :)

Thanks

GK

Hawk
GK:

I don't know how to help you, but start by checking out the company website at www.magnepan.com.

good luck!

Railbait
Can't hurt to email Magnepan and ask them about the NAD T742 and MMG's, or the others. You may be able to try the MMG's for 60 days, also. Email is the 21st century mousetrap. :) Well worth the effort!

GK
Yes - emailing is a possibility, I guess I just didn't notice their email on the website, but I'll go check it again. Thanks.
I just thought someone might have had experience with it.
I'm not sure to buy speakers soon, but in the meanwhile I heard some Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers with my T742 that I liked, and I keep looking for interesting sounds and offers.... :)
In the meanwhile - can anyone explain to me technically what's special and different about these speakers, and also the thing with speaker impedance that I cannot really understand....

Thanks

Railbait
GK,

Silly me, I just assumed they had an email address on their website. I could not find one there either. Sorry.

GK
Yes - there'sno email - I guess the company's not so much into the 21st century :)

So there's still no answer for me - if anyone has something, please let me know...

GK
By the way - is there any other companys making loadspeakers in the same technology like Magnepan, competeing with it?

John A.
GK,

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/esl.htm

GK
So QUAD is competing with Magnepan in the electrostatic loadspeakers area I see. How do I know which is better?
The QUAD's are probably much more expensive I would guess, but the loadspeakers have an impedance of 8 ohms - does it mean they won't be as power hungry as the Magnepans?

Railbait
GK,

I spoke with Magnepan today (I wanted swatches, which they are providing). They only have email for distributors. I mentioned you were in Israel and they gave me an importers name there.

LM Agencies & Marketing
Rishon Lezion
phone 972-3-967-8795

They carry Magnepan. Hope this helps.

:)

John A.
GK,

Quad has been making electrostatic speakers much longer that Magnepan. Quad has a dedicated and loyal customer base, it is bordering on a cult. But Hawk posted somewhere that he has heard both, and prefers the sound of Magnepan.

"How do I know which is better? "

As with all these things, you would have to try it and see. I have no idea where anyone could make a straight comparison. Quad speakers are not supposed to require so much power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us