My setup and 6.1 or 7.1??????

UNICRON-WMD
Hi all, I am new to this board and I have been reading you reviews for the past week.

Here is the thing. I have a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V592 receiver and a Technices DTS and DD processor. I also have Infinity SM125 front speakers, CC-3 Center channel and SM65 rear speakers. I am sure NONE of you like my old system but I have been very happy with it for 6+ years.

Anyways, My Technices processor took a dump and I need a new receiver. Now, I think I have decided on a new receiver. Here is my idea for my new setup.

Yamaha Rx-V740
My CC-3 center speaker(I love this thing!!!)
A pair of Infinity Overture 1 speakers I got for $320 for my main speakers.(They are in the mail)
Infinity RS 2000.3 rear speakers
and Cambridge Soundworks 12" powered Sub.

I know it is all older stuff but I am pimpin on a budget. I always like the Overture 1 speakers but I couldn't afford $1200 at the time.

Anyways, here are my 2 questions, what do you think of my new setup? Also, what is the difference between the 6.1 and 7.1? I need to find this out before I decide completely on the Yamaha RX-V740. I also need to audition it too.

Thank you for you time guys!
WMD

Johnny
6.1 vs. 7.1...
Both are the same as 5.1, only they add additional surround speakers, called "surround rear"...6.1 adds one of these, 7.1 adds two. I heard a Yamaha RX-V640, the younger sibling of the 740, paired with an Infinity system...sounded alright, but kind of bright for my preferences...but I do think a preference for a "bright" or "mellow" receiver is a matter of personal taste. If you had the Yamaha before and liked it with Infinity, then it would make sense that you would like it again. Audition it and see what you think...if you like it, get it, no matter what others on this forum might advise, as they are not the ones that are going to be listening to it.

UNICRON-WMD
So it goes from 2 Surround speakers to 3 with a center SS speaker. So why the 4th speaker? Where would I place all 4 SS speakers?

I know generally Infinity is a bright speaker. From what I have heard in person, the Overture series is a lot smoother the their previous speakers.

Thanks for the reply man.

Johnny
WMD,

Yes, in 6.1 there are three surround speakers, and in 7.1 there are four, along with the standard 2 fronts, and 1 center. In my opinion, it is largely just another "feature" that receivers offer that doesn't really help the sound too much, but sells more units. It is cool to have, but for most people, it is relatively useless. Yamaha now offers a 9.1 receiver, and I have heard from Hawk that there is another receiver on the drawing boards that will be 12.1...WILL IT EVER STOP!!! I can barely fit 5 speakers in my listening room, much less 6, 7, 9, or even 12. I think your question of "where would I place all 4 SS speakers" is very legitimate...most people cannot find the room to place 3, muchless 4, surround speakers. The only situations in which this would be necessary I think is if you had an increadibly large room, or if it was shaped funny so that the rear of the room was much larger than the front. For most people, a traditional 5.1 setup will be fine. Like you said...who has room for that? I know I don't. Additional surround speakers may add a slight bit more "surround" effect, but probably not much. Probably 90% of the DVD's are only encoded in a 5.1 format, so the receiver kind of has to "guess" what sounds the additional surround speakers in a 6.1 or 7.1 will put out. This is called matrixing.

Paul
If you have an existing 6.1 speaker system and you replace the reciever with a 7.1 , how do you use the sixth speaker? Don't you need to add another speaker or just go with 5?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us