Budget 5.1 receiver recommendation

Peter
Please advise of any good 5.1/6.1 receiver in the price range of $250-$350 (I can stretch it to $400 but that's it :) ...) I'd use it about 60/40 (music/movies) ...

DVD Player: Pioneer 563A
Speakers: Bose 501 (Front) 141 (rear)
Sub: SONY SA-WM500 Powered
Center: JBL S-Center II

Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade my speakers later on but they'll do for now. Thank you for your inputs ...

G'day...

elitefan
I would recommend a Pioneer vsx912. Very nice receiver for the money and you should be able to find it for $350 or less. This unit has gotten very good reviews and you can read them on this site under the review section. One review actually liked this receiver better than a NAD742.

elitefan
I forgot to mention that I think you should definetly upgrade your speakers ASAP. Bose are not very good and it's not a good idea to have different mains with a different center. All 3 fronts need to match sonically which is not possible under your present set up. Let us know what you decide on a reciever and then we can give you some recommendations on a good speaker package. Good luck and keep us posted.

Peter
Elitefan - I aprreciate the quick reply.

The Pioneer vsx-912 spec looks interesting and the price is appealing.

I know my speakers are not up-to-par but it's kinda tough at this point :) I do like the JBL center channel speaker though, I think it's not that bad - clear & loud enough for $140. Should I consider other JBL speakers set (Front/Rear)... or any set that doesn't break my ..piggy bank :) (I'm thinking around $400 max - there's a recurrent theme here I know.) I think I'm getting decent sub out of the Sony.

Thanks for the help.

Peter
I've noticed that the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 is in my range also. Is it a better receiver than the VSX-912 ? Thanks

Peter
Hmm... I think I'll give the VSX-912 a shot ...
Still welcome any thoughts on this subject and some decent budget speaker sets ... Are the JBL Northridge series any good ?? :)

elitefan
If you like your JBL center then keep it and go with JBL's for your mains. The Elite 41 is a nice receiver but not much different than the 912 actually. Either one will do the job for you.

Peter
Elitefan --Thanks for your help. I've ordered the VSX-D912. Now I'll have to look for speakers ... :)

Good Day..

PeakMaster
Peter, if you replace your speakers, take a look at the following deal. It cannot be beat. The Pinnacle AC650's are outstanding and very highly rated. They list for $300-$400, the street price is about $199 and Buy.com has them for $118 shipped 2nd day delivery. If you use this eCoustics link:
http://www.buy.com/retail/PEProduct.asp?sku=200773228&dcaid=1688

Sam David
Hello Every one,

This is mostly directed at elitefan, but any one can suggest.

I have Mitsubishi 65511 HDTV,
10 year old Pioneer Receiver and various speakers,
In few months (may be in Jan/Feb 2004) planning to upgrade receiver and speakers. Was thinking in the direction of pioneer 59txi and Bose Acoustimass 16 speakers. In the future when the price is right I will be replacing my Mitsubishi TV with a 1080P front projector. Wnat to be future proof thats why leaning towards 59txi.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter
PeakMaster - Thanks for a good suggestion. Looks like a very good deal but I've already purchased the JBL S38II for the front and the S36II as rear (still wating for the rear speakers' arrival)... So far, the JBL sounds quite nice with the Pioneer VSX-D912 (very clean output, good remote & very helpful MCACC function) ... For my low budget, this set up is very capable thus far.

Now, I have to figure out how to give away my Bose speakers :D...

elitefan
SamDavid,
Please if you get a great receiver like the Elite59 or other do not even think about ruining that purchase by getting Bose speakers. I can't think of a worse speaker brand that I have ever heard, especially for how expensive they are. What is your speaker budget? If you have a Monitor Audio dealer nearby run to that store and you will find that there is no better match with a Elite receiver than Monitors. Listen to the Silver Series[like the 6 or 8]. Amazing clarity and perfect sonically with Elite or any other mellower brand like H/K, Marantz etc. Forget Bose.

Sam David
elitefan
Thanks for the suggestion, I have about 1700 to 2000 for the speaker budget. I can always wait, save if the speakers are good.

Sam David
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us