Bose ps28 sub

Username: Soundboi843

Charleston

Post Number: 1
i aquired this bose ps28 sub at a garage sale it has an audio input like an ethernet cable ...is it possible to use this with a regular amp/system

Charleston

Post Number: 2
i aquired this sub at a garage sale it has an audio input like an ethernet cable ...is it possible to use this with a regular amp/system

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1416
Is the ethernet the only input or are the rca jacks and/or speaker level connections? If it only has ethernet/usb, then it's meant for computer use only.

My suggestion would be to look for a REAL subwoofer (not bose) within your budget. If there are independant dealers near you that carry such gear with knowledgeable salespersons, start there. If not, you may be stuck going to best buy.

How much can you spend on a sub rite now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1417
Also, before buying any piece of audio equipment new or used, you should make sure it is compatible with what you already have.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16205

The connector obviously isn't an ethernet jack as the subwoofer would have no use for such a connection. The pin configuration of most Bose subwoofers is meant to limit their use to Bose only systems. The sub you purchased was likely designed to fit into a Lifestyle system and complement the very small satellite speakers which are so commonly sold to Bose customers. The speaker crossovers and system equalization circuits are contained in the subwoofer's circuitry and there is no good way to separate out the subwoofer itself from the rest of the electronics within the sub enclosure. Nor would you really want to. Bose subs are not going to provide a high level of deep bass and are known more for their "thump" than for their precision or extension. There's no convenient way to adjust the output level of the sub to match other speakers. All total this makes the Bose sub a very one note affair suited only to Bose systems. If you were to research this subwoofer, you'd probably find the amplifier line out of the Bose receiver feeds directly to the subwoofer and then the sub's circuitry splits the two channels and directs the split signals to the two or more channels being used. If the system doesn't fit into the confines of the Bose specs, then the sub is all but worthless to you.

There's not much point in trying to make this subwoofer work for you since the sub is not going to work well with other components. Hope you didn't pay much for this sub.

Charleston

Post Number: 3
thanks to all jan was most informitive and to others its a forum dont take every chance to be a smart a*ss i know its not an ethernet cable that was just a laymans discription and i run a full nad system on my setup i just took a chance and spent 10 bucs for this thing and was hoping to gain some insight here on is specs and to see if it could be used. I GET IT Bose sucks and is overpriced lighten up already

Gold Member

Post Number: 1418
I'm glad you only spent $10 on it. I don't think anyone is trying to be a smart a**, or getting uptight. Ok?

Username: Fooserjeff

Deland, Florida Us

I am looking to buy that unit.....want to sell it?

Charleston

Post Number: 4
yes jeff make me an offer

Username: Ericstevencookhotmailcom

Wytheville, Va United States

I know how to connect these to any system you'd like. I'm not a huge fan of Bose audio products, but I know many are, and at the value prices you can get these "proprietary" products second hand, even for audiophiles, the price makes these GREAT products. Bose keeps their circuitry closely guarded so it's rare to have what I have for this particular type of connection. I do have specific requirements in order to share this information that you MUST agree to in order to get this valuable knowledge, that have nothing to do with money. I hate the stuff. If you want to know more and get started contact me at samsepiol2rule@gmail
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us