Rega P2 or MusicHall MMF-5?

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 30
Considering both. The MMF seems like the better deal to me.

Any thoughts?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
The Rega is still the table that the others are compared against.

Try this site:

http://csown.dhs.org/hi-fi/rega_mod.html

And he doesn't even get started on how to get the most out of the table.
One caveat, the Rega has traditionally run about 1% fast, don't know if the MMF does the same. It's not a problem unless you have perfect pitch.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1753
Yes, they run fast. Is it possible to slow down a Rega turntable, perhaps by increasing the diameter of the platter drive wheel by 1 %? Say, with a band of tape around the drive wheel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Now also considering the P3. Auditioning both at home.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1759
Brad,

I, for one, would be interested to learn your impressions. I have a totally unmodified Planar 3 which has run faultlessly for 25 years. The standard arm supplied is improved now, I read, but I think that's about it. Don't be put off by that guy's obsessive modding (J. Vigne's link). Mine sounded great out of the box, and still does. "Leave the lid open, or off" is the best advice I ever received; it audibly cuts feedback, but my location is not optimal. If I get rich I might just replace the arm and get a replacement for the Ortofon VMS 30/III cartridge, but I have no problems with these, and the turntable itself is the single best piece of stuff I ever bought.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I just ordered myself a Rega P3, a Grado Gold Phono Cartridge, and a Record Clamp.

The MMF-5 didn't seem to measure up, especially in the tone-arm department, and the MMF-5SE isn't yet available here in Canada.

My audio salesman told me that I should have it in about 10 days. I can't wait. I'm using an Onkyo CP-1000A with a Grado Black until then, and I can't wait to hear the difference... $1200+ CAD later...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1991
Brilliant, Brad! Good luck! Please keep posting, and let us know how it sounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
The Planar 3 arrived yesterday. I had it set up with a Grado Gold, however my record clamp is not yet in. I haven't committed to any purhcases yet, as I'm still in the listening stage.

(my audio salesman also loaned me his Nitty Gritty machine, so all the records are clean)

my observations thus far...

The Grado Gold hums a little on the inner grooves of the record, but this is normal for the unshielded Grados. The sound of the cartridge is so good with the turntable that I'm probably going to overlook the hum. About that sound... the cartridge definately took some time to break in. The first few albums I listened to, the sound improvement was most noticeable in terms of bass response. Then suddenly when I put on a recording of Rienzi Overture (Wagner), and the trombones came in, I was blown away. The midrange tone out of the Grado/Rega is so real and rich I'm exstatic. Norah Jones voice sounds so realistic and clear. Playing my new copy of The Bends (Radiohead) revealed a much deeper and wider soundstage than I am used to, and instruments were much more solidly located.

Toto IV was a record of mine that I had almost written off because of it's condition, but a go-round on the Nitty Gritty and it sounded better on the Rega than I could have ever imagined. From the drum intro to Rosanna to the end of Africa, this album was a showpiece for this turntable. Back in the High Life by Steve Winwood was another sound demostration of soundstaging. Hawksley Workman's album, Lover/Fighter, revealed a level of detail that I've never been aware of before.

I'm in love with this turntable/cartridge combination. Despite the slight hum on the inner grooves, I doubt that I could find a better sounding cartridge than the Grado Gold for $200. (CDN)

I think it's a keeper.

Thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 314
Brad,

Thanks for that review! I plan to get a Rega Planar P3 in a few months to go along with a McIntosh amp I just purchased.

Have you done the comparison to the MMF and, if so, what were your impressions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Ghia,

I haven't auditioned the MMF at home, however I can tell you based on what I have seen and heard of it that it's biggest drawback is it's tonearm. The Regas are essentially unbeatable at this price point. The build quality of the Rega is a bit higher, too. (dust cover notwithstanding)

However, the MMF does have it's merits. I would go with the MMF-5SE over the MMF-5, though.

To everyone else: The hum of the Grado is driving me nuts. I'm working on making a shield for under the platter, however I'm also looking at other cartridges. Any suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us