Speakers stand... what they are for??

Perhaps my question look a bit stupid, but I have a very big dubt. I'm going to build my own stands, and I would like to know what they are for.

In some webs I had read that they isolate the sistem from the floor to avoid the transmission of speaker vibrations to the floor and vice-versa. For this aim, it is necesary to isolate the platform from the floor.

In the other hand I had read that the stands are used to fix the speaker and to avoid its movement during cone movement (i.e. music reproduction). To avoid the movement of the speaker the optimum idea is to fix the stand to the floor. This is oppossite to the idea promoted in the previous paragraph, isn't it.

I would like to know if I have to build a very heavy stand, and if it has to be isolated from the floor or if it has to be well fixed to it.

If the idea is to avoid its movement what about to glue or to screw the speakers to the stands.

Thanks for every comment.
...Javi

Mike V
The purpose of stands is to bring the drivers to ear level. Since bookshelf speakers are only 24" tall in most cases, you need to elevate them to get them so they're level with your ears when you are listening to them.

And yes, you need to have the stands anchored so they don't move. Think of it this way. The woofer makes sound (as does the tweeter, but lets stick with what we can see) by moving in and out, thus moving air. If your speakers are allowed to rock back and forth they will do so with the movement of the speaker thanks to Sir Isaac Newton, that is every force has an equal and opposite force. If your speakers rock, you are not getting full sound.

As for screwing or glueing, that's up to you. If this is a set of speakers you don't care much about, that is a certain way to make sure they stay attached to the stand. Just make sure your stand is secured to the ground somehow (carpet spikes, or whatever).

-Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us