Archive through December 18, 2010

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 551
Sounds like a good time! I'd be watching sci-fi action pics!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15596
Which stand is that, Dave?

if you twist the knob clockwise, the amp is better after 4 watts or so...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4493
It's the one up in the living room. Watching TV the meters don't even move. Cranking a Blu-ray like "Master and Commander" gets them up to maybe 20 watts.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15599
That is right in the Mac's wheelhouse!
Should be about perfect as the amp gets.
Try around 200, the protect does not even start flashing there, it takes about 300 for the amp to protect.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4494
I think I would go deaf before that happened.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
You do like it loud Nuck!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15600
I wear a headset for testing the kit, as the 402 goes waaaaaay over the 400 mark under heavy use.
Say what you will, but this is a killer Mac amp swinging wild volumes from stock.
The meters bounce!

A kilowatt of sub makes a diff as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3338
Looks great Nuck and David. Media Servers on the way!

Silver Member

Post Number: 561
"A kilowatt sub makes a difference as well!"

I'm sure it does! (chuckling as I imagine your entire house vibrating) How many windows have you replaced in the last year?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3342
Dac's, Racks and Automobiles part 3: Old and New.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4497
Nice rack!

lol... I had to. Sorry.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3344
lol Thank you, thank you very much. I had them done Monday. haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15605
That's my Media Center! damn!

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
Nice!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15606
SJ, the media center, along with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC on the bottom shelf, makes life a breeze of top drawer hifi.

http://www.sourceavtech.com/

Just shop once.

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
I see that Nuck! You don't put your Mac amp on that though! Lol! (hears crashing noise in head)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15610
The BDA-1 is a fab unit, and sounds very 'right' on the Mac.
YMMV, but I think I know the difference.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13605
Looks good, Nick!

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
Are those aluminum cones?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15613
Nick, we crawled around your old rack, this looks fab. Very nice.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4502
What you and Nick do on the weekend is between you guys. Don't ask, don't tell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Lol Dave!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3345
lol Thanks everyone. This week the room gets fully re-hauled. Rack stays put. Speakers, couches, chair, tv center all gets moved.

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
Why rearrange? Speaker placement optimizing?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15615
Nick will maximize his assets, I think.
Bass is very strong at the front door enclave.

Time for the room!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3346
Yeah current room setup is brutal. Got a plan. Will see if it works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
Would moving them away from the wall A) help and B) be feasible?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3347
Not really SJ. As long as the speakers are facing that back wall where the front door is I will have major bass issues. I am going to get the couch and coffee table out from in front of the system, get the system on the side wall, spread out with nothing in front of it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15618
The wall of glass is pretty hard to get around, short of light killing draperies.
The light is more important, I should think, for warming little Ava where she plays.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4505
You need to build that dedicated listening room in the basement Nick.... you have a perfect little area for it.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3348
Nuck- Got a big pull down drapery made out of canvas material sort of like my projector screen.

David- I agree.Our next house I told Danielle has to have a single room where I can have a dedicated two channel system, another for a dedicated Theater and she can have the rest of the house.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4506
Like the kitchen and the laundry room? doh!

Don't tell her I said that.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3349
lol I just did. She laughed. She can have a walk in closet with the Dyson, and other cleaning agents. haha!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4507
hahaha......

So when are you guys thinking of looking for a new place?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3350
No more than the next 5 years I hope. I would to turn this place for a decent profit. Switched the room around today. Still not perfect but what an improvement. Opened the room up too. Looks like its twice the size literally. Love it. The NAIM blows my socks off. Now for the Totems.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15619
Good stuff Nick. How about a pic?

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
At the risk of letting my quasi-purist show, if you have tone controls, turning down the bass might help.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13612
What speaker cable are you running with your Naim, Nick?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4198
Your stuff looks great Nick. The Nait makes me a bit jealous. Love that Naim sound.

As Art was asking, what speaker cables are you using? What other cables do you have too?

While cables make a difference, I don't hold their performance (especially their VFM) in the highest regard. Naim responds better than most to their own cabling. The NACA5 (Naim's speaker cable) works very well. It's about $10/ foot. Not dirt cheap, but not outrageous by any means. They also make/used to make RCA to DIN cables. Naim USA's website only lists the High-Line cables, which are about $1k and not what I was talking about. Naim also endorses using Chord Cables. For the longest time, Using anything other than Naim and Chord cables voided the warranty.

Also, be on the lookout for the Naim Tibia power cord. Not sure when they started coming standard with Naim gear. It was a good upgrade over the previous stock power cords. They were selling for $25. Maybe call Naim USA (or Canada if they have one) to find out if they still make entry level DIN to RCAs and how to tell if you have a Tibia or not? If you've got a Naim dealer, they should be able to help too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4199
And if you want a great rack (don't we all?), the Naim Fraim is the best looking rack there is IMO. At least audio rack-wise anyway. Very expensive, and I've never demoed it (or any other rack in that way), so I can't say if it's worth it or not. Looks like you just bought a new rack, so the point is pretty much moot anyway.

The Fraim would probably cost more than what it's holding, but it's just such a great looking rack IMO. The Maple or Cherry with aluminum is where it's at.

Then again, with the little one getting ready to walk around an explore Daddy's stuff before you know it, you may want something that'll keep little fingers and whatever they're carrying out. Doors on your rack may save you quite a few bucks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13613
I've owned a bunch of speaker cable and tried various cables in many setups and I find that it makes as much difference as interconnects.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4200
All cables definitely make a difference, Art. No arguement from me. Some people go on and on about them. There was a guy on Audiogon talking about how great the Musical Fidelity V-DAC sounded with a $3k digital cable. $300 DAC connected to a $3k cable? The other way around makes far more sense to me and pretty much everyone else.

Just saying that components make far more difference than any cable I've ever heard. I've seen people get way too caught up in the cable game (not here, but a lot of other forums). I've always advised to sort out the components first, then fine tune the sound with the cables. For Naim gear, NACA5 and Naim interconnects are a no brainer and should be the baseline for performance. If for some reason those aren't doing it for you, then make a switch IMO.

Pretty sure we're both on the same page, even before that explanation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
I really don't see using a cable >$30 to carry a digital signal, let alone $3k! Even for analog, I typically use cables that are <$100 a pair unless they go over 8 ft. So far 8 ft are the longest I have ever used.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3351
Thanks guys. Right now I am just using a 200 dollar pair of UltraLink interconnects and a glass bum UltraLink optical cable. For speaker cable I am currently using a pair I made myself with about 75 dollars worth of material and 4 hours of my time. Nothing overly good in my system for cables. I did get the Tibia power cable with the NAIM however which is one hefty momma of a power cable. I am looking for a used DIN to RCA cable from Chord online and will probably pick it up. Then I will nab up some NAIM speaker cable. I dont mind paying 10 dollars a foot. That is reasonable.

I actually looked at getting a NAIM Frame but shipped to me would cost 1250. wowsers. Thats a used pair of Totem Hawks almost.lol. I wanted something with a close in bottom but with a well constructed frame on it so I just went with the 350 dollar TechCraft. Nothing crazy but it is a huge improvement over what I had and looks much nicer/modern than the silver and glass. It also holds my Media Center properly so I dont have a huge box on the top of the stand.lol. I think I am going to pick up that DIN to RCA cable today. More pics to come.

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
You really don't have to spend a whole lot on cables. I was sorry I spent $120 or $130 (not sure) on a pair of 8ft AQ Sidewinders when 8ft AQ G-snakes sound just as good for $90. Then a guy showed me what he was sorry about. He spent over $1k for a pair of cables only to find out that they no better than G-snake. Now I don't feel SO bad.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4201
$1250 is for a Fraim base, which will hold 1 component. Each standard-height shelf level costs another $850. So if you needed a Fraim for 3 pieces, you're talking $2950!

Check out some of the pics on the Naim forum's system pics threads. There's guys with two or three Fraims, side by side, with about 5 shelves in each one. Must be nice.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13614
You don't have to spend a fortune however you do need to find quality and that usually ain't free. I've been sorry about the money I've spent on cables as well as other gear but am not one bit sorry about what I've spent on my Van den Hul cables.

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
That's just crazy! I could build my own for much less and it would be much stronger. Granted, it would be ugly as sin, but you'd be able to put 2 Mac 1200 monoblock amps on it and I guarentee you'd have to replace the amps before you had to replace the rack!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4202
Jazzy,

A lot of people have found that there's very little correlation between price and performance with cables. Some very expensive ones sounded great, and some didn't do anything to my ears. Same can be said for cheap ones. When buying cables, make sure you can return them for a full refund or sell them off for little to no loss IMO.

Once the new DAC comes and the system and set up are maximized, I'll get a handful of cables from my dealer to try out. He's got boxes of them in the back room. His approach is try a bunch of them out, buy what works best, and bring back the rest. I can't think of a better way to do it.

I hate how cables complicate things. You'd figure wires are wires and can't make a difference. I'd rather they not make a difference, but I guess you can't have everything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
You're dealer has the right idea, I just hope no one violates his trust so that he no longer does that. You would think that wires were wires in that as long as they are thick enough for their use, they'd suffice. However, many cable makers advertise the use of different materials that are supposedly better able to carry a given signal. For instance, AQ claims that using silver in subwoofer cable makes the bass cleaner. They warn you not to use it for full range audio. When I replaced my sub cable with the AQ, it sounded better. Was it the silver or just better wire? I'm guessing the latter.

I probably could have gotton a refund on the sidewinder, but I needed the cable and use the G-snake for another source. So, I don't feel any great sense of loss.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4203
When I first started hanging around his shop, he took a credit card number/imprint as a collateral on gear that was lent out. His policy is if it doesn't come back on time, he'll give a phone call warning. If no timely response, he'll charge the card.

He hasn't taken my card info in a while. I'm sure there are several other regulars who he doesn't need to take there's as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
I call that the honor system with insurance!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3352
Sounds like you have a very good dealer Stu. Sounds like my kind of guy.

In my previous post I had said the Rack would stay put. That didn't swing through the WAF factor. So I moved it.

Just picked up a RCA to DIN Chord cable for 35 dollars. Good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
You'll know if the cable is good when you use it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4204
What he said.

Not sure of which model you got, nor what the new and used prices are. I'd imagine its a good price.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3354
Cool. I am told you havn't heard a NAIM until you hear it on its DIN connections. Its a very musical amp even on RCA so I am very curious to try it out on the DIN.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2423
What is the burn in period for the DIN cable?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3360
Good question Mike. To be honest I have no idea.lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4209
I'm not the biggest believer of cable burn in by any means. Getting used to exactly what its doing is another matter.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3362
I personally can't see what could be inside a cable that would benefit by usage. Although I would definitely agree that it would take time to hear what the cable has brought to the system.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1136
Some believe it isn't the cable that needs the burn-in, it's the insulating layer. I tend to believe that's at least partially true. The wire I use has a very thin coating and it seemed to settle in very quickly. Wire I've had with a thicker covering layer and harness seemed to evolve for a number of hours.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4212
Nick,

Regarding "You haven't heard a Naim until you've heard it's DINs," it's a little true. It's not going to sound like a completely different amp by any means, in a good way. Switching from RCA to DINs, I've heard a little better everything - less noise, grain, veiling, etc. The biggest immediate difference going from DIN to RCA was it seemed like it added a small layer of graying to the sound, if that makes sense. Went back to DIN and it was gone. The RCAs weren't cheap crap by any means. Can't remember what they were, upper end Tara Labs? I really liked them until I heard the difference between them and the DINs. The dealer said it's all RCAs in a Naim system that do that. The ones he used had less of it than most.

Can't go wrong with DINs in a Naim system. Haven't heard any DIN to RCA cables, so not sure if this makes as much a difference. Pretty sure you won't be crying about $35 if it's not as good as you hoped. I'd still get a hold of a Naim dealer or the distributor to see if Naim makes their own DIN to RCA that's not $1k.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2424
Chris, I have had the same experience with my DIY cables and the MITs I replaced them with. Even when I had damaged my DIY wires and had to rebuild them I had to let them burn in a bit. It had nothing to do with getting used to them as they were the exact same wires I already had in place.

The MITs have Network boxes as well as multiple articulation points. There is significantly more there to work with which is why MIT says 2 days to get 80% there and 2 weeks to get them completely burned in. Then there is a period after that where you get used to the system's sound with the new cables in place. I found that MIT's timeline was accurate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15622
Is it a coincidence that this is the same timeframe as portland cement?

The added time is for machining through it, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
No that's not coincidence, the cement companies and cable companies want their products to be in sync.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4230
My old man gave me a new camera (well, new to me) so I can take good pics of my duaghter. Still trying to figure out how to use the damn thing. Its a Canon 400D for all you camera guys out there. Here's some updated system pics...

Covered up...
Upload

Full frontal...
Upload

My listening Buddy makin' sure everything's set up right...
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 4231
B60, Apple TV, and Theta DAC...
Upload

B60 closeup after the faceplate change...
Upload

Yara...
Upload

Getting ready to play Jimi's latest...
Upload

Followed by Master of Puppetts...
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 858
Nice pics, Stu. What do you have your components sitting on? They almost look like rolls of hockey tape.

Love the kitty, looks like a big one from that angle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4233
That's actually a slimming angle for him! He's a big boy. He was 24 lbs before we changed vets. He's down to about 18 right now, and he's got another 3 or so lbs to go. 3 lbs doesn't seem like much, but it's a lot of a cat. We recently found out dry food is all carbs, which is really bad for cats. Switched him over to grain-free wet food on the advice of the new vet, and he's been so much better off.

The gear is sitting on hockey pucks. I wrapped the pucks with a little red hockey stick tape for aesthetics. Looks pretty cool IMO. The B60 sits very low, so the pucks raise it up to help with air flow, and to take some pressure off the cables.

Silver Member

Post Number: 963
That's a nice set up. I like the cabinet. My cat thinks he's source component too! Lol!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13656
Nice pics, Stu. Those Audio Physics are great looking!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4539
Cool pics Stu! Nice choice in tunes too.

Your cat almost looks like a bear from that angle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1009
Yeah, the long brown hair, he does look like a bear!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4235
Buddy is actually gray. Kind of like smoke. Not that I know much about cat breeds, but he's mainly Russian Blue.

Funny you guys say he looks like a bear. I always thought that, especially when following him around. He's got a bear-like walk. My wife shakes her head when I say it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
Thats's funny Stu!

If there were such a thing as a husky breed of cat, mine would be it. He's got the blue eyes and beige and tan fur on his back along with a white chest & stomach. That with medium hair and a bushy tail make the look. He also has two black spots on the end of his nose, one above each nostril. He's a strange cat too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15630
Looking real nice, Stu!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16181
Nice rack!

lol

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16182
nice to see a metallica fan also

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4540
What other good metal albums you got on there Stu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4236
I've got a ton of them David. No hard-core cookie monster singing stuff though.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4541
LOL... if you're referring to Death Metal, I feel the same way. I can't stand that stuff. The growling vocals really bug me.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13660
It all bugs me...lol.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 860
I'm still waiting for my copy of Garage Inc. on vinyl, but I'm not sure Amazon is going to be able to find it! I ordered it in October. They are hoping to ship it this week, but they've said that twice before.

I agree about Death Metal. I like the hard stuff too, but you have to be able to carry a tune as a singer, and the music's got to have some melodic quality to it. If all you're doing is yelling like an idiot over a wall of guitars - nah, not for me.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3368
Very nice Stu!!!

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 200
Most of it is a joke, but harsh vocals do have their place. Just have to find the right stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4237
Dan -
Be careful with Garage Inc on vinyl. On my copy, and one or two others here, the speed is off on the side with the Garaga Days Re-Revisited on it. 33 is too fast, 45 is too slow. Really pi$$ed me off, because that was 90% whay I bought the album. I bought it from a local store, and we opened up all 5 copies he had to try to find one that wasn't like that. No luck.

He offered me a full refund, but I kept it anyway.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 861
Thanks for the tip, Stu. Maybe that's why the vinyl was so cheap. $17, vs. $25 for the CD version. You don't see that too often (vinyl being cheaper than CD). I'll go and read some user reviews. Might have to cancel that order.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4542
New HT stand for the living room...

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1143
Nice Dave.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4543
Thanks Chris. The cable hook-up was a PITA.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13680
Looks good, David. Cable hookup for HT is always a pain, or so it seems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4241
The system looks great David. The wiring mess is the bain of everyone's existence who wants a clean and tidy look.

We've still got some regulars who haven't thrown up any pics yet. What's up with that?

Gold Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1145
You wouldn't want a picture of my listening room. Trust me. I was thinking of tackling a remodel after I send my amp out for a tune-up and mod. I won't be using the room for a month or so anyway.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15635
Pic's please folks! Make my surfing experience even slower.

Thats what this thread is about! Show us your Orange carpet(thanks Art).
Show us your bade studs and drywall.
Show us your meek..your opressed.....your

Oh hel l, I am gonna get a drink.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Jamie

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 872
A happy xmas season to all here!

I am planning on uploading some pics. I am waiting for my new stands to arrive first. The pair I have now (in silver) are borrowed from the dealer, since it was taking so long for the black pair that I ordered to arrive. Black looks way better, so I must wait to take pics. However, the dealer now has them in hand and will deliver them on Sunday. I've got some pics of my Avons though, they obviously don't need stands. I'll see about getting those up tonight.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3370
Wicked Rack David. Beauty!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4544
Thanks Nick! We ordered the matching coffee table (it's actually called a "cocktail table" which suits me better anyway), and the matching end table.

This weekend I have to get some wall anchors and move the shelf above the TV for my center channel.

For a brief period of time my wife was saying "Those Sierras don't match the new furniture". I thought I had a new set of HT speakers in my future, but later that night she said "You know, I think they look just fine after all". Darn.....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13691
She wised up...!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4545
So close... yet so far, Art.

I was looking forward to trying out my Sierras on my 2 channel system.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3371
LOL!! You still rocking the StingRay? Wheres the MAC these days?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us