My exhaust fan is so loud.. any alternatives?

Bronze Member
Username: Delirium

Post Number: 14
ok guys I just wired up this radio shack fan & boy is it loud! Its a 115 VAC fan and it has a loud whirling noise! I have not plugged it into my receiver yet, but I know that it will be quite loud because I plugged it into the wall. Is there anything that you guys can suggest? Is there a quieter fan that I can buy? I was thinking about using the DC fan a universal adapter, but the only problem is that the universal adapter's plug is an adapter & so it has one of those big box type of plugs which will not plug into my reciever... help please.

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 59
Look at the decibel rating. The Radio Shack fans that I looked at have high decibel ratings. That means that they are going to be loud. There are some quieter fans on the market, most of which run on 12v. I have seen them - and have purchased one - from Fry's Electronics. You will need a transformer if you are going to power these fans with 115 volts AC. I have seen fans as quiet as 20 - 28 db. The radio shack fans are probably 45 - 50 db. The decibel ratings are logrithmic, which means that a 25 db fan is much much quieter than a 45 - 50 db fan. Good luck.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can also put the R.S. fan on a lower voltage. Several options for this are a resistor placed permanently in line, a transformer that will step the voltage down to about 60-70 volts or a dimmer that you would use on a light switch. The dimmer will allow you to put the R.P.M./noise at the most acceptable level. If you go this route make certain the dimmer you buy has R.F.I./E.M.I. filtering so it does not create interference through your amplifier. Depending on where you live in the U.S., or most anywhere in the world for that matter, you can get these parts through a good electronics supply house. Try Graingers in the South West or try:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
The dimmer can probably be found at a home supply store, i.e. Home Depot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us