Marantz vs Yamaha

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 36
Your opinions on these receivers...looking for rich/warm sound with power quoted being what is actually delivered simultaneously through all channels. Will be using through 5 Athena speakers (the best they make) & an Athena sub for about 50/50 movies music.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 478
I do not know how well Marantz matches with Athena but the Marantz is a warmer,richer sounding receiver than Yamaha and has much better multichannel power although the new Yamaha 1400 and 2400 are vast improvements over previous models. It sounds like Marantz would come closer to what you are looking for. So would H/K and Elite. I would use your words rich and warm to describe my Elite 45.

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 56
yea i got the Yamaha 2400 on ebay for around $800. Great receiver, tons of opions, makes anything on tv or on dvd sound amazing

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 57
yea i got the Yamaha 2400 on ebay for around $800. Great receiver, tons of opions, makes anything on tv or on dvd sound amazing

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 744
i have to second "therealelitefan's" post to a tee.

the only thing i might add would be nad.

but my personal choice would be h/k

Bronze Member
Username: E1kad2

Post Number: 36
Yammy

Username: Smittykit

Singapore

Post Number: 7
I second to what therealelitefan quoted. Have personally tested both Marantz SR5400 and Yamaha V450 side by side. (Audio CD)
Marantz produced a warmer, smoother feeling. Yamaha was fine, but not as good.
Both my wife and myself are no audio professionals but were able to tell the diff in a couple of secs of listening.

misterHT
Unregistered guest
Rule of thumb:

Marantz is warm and generally reproduces the true sound as intended by the sound engineer.

Yahama tends to brighten the sound. I call this a euphamism for TINNY.

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
i too will also have to agree with therealelitefan
quote. I honestly think that the marantz SR5400 is a MUCH better receiver than the Yamaha RX-v450. the marantz gives you more and better options. I love yamaha, hell i own the rx-v440, but if i was to redo my budget receiver, it would probably be the SR4400 or the onkyo tx-sr502. now as what misterHT said about the Yamaha tends to brighten the sound, i would have to agree with him to a certain extent. you see if you have the thx certified yammies, then the whole brightness issue is gone. but the new receivers they have and their previous models had the brightness problem. it also depends of what type of speakers you have to tame the yamaha's sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us