Need to power Athena AS-B2's looking at Rotel RA-01 and NAD/Cambridge models

Username: Destro713

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
I just recently got an incredible deal on some new Athena AS-B2 speakers, and now I need an amp to power them. The models I'm looking at are the Rotel RA-01, the Cambridge Azur 340A/540A, and the NAD C320BEE.

I'm looking for a slightly warm sound, detailed but not analytical. I'll probably be pairing the amp with an NAD C521BEE CD player. I've heard that the 521BEE has a bit of warmth itself, so I'm not sure if I should pair it with an equally warm amp or if I should look for a brighter amp to avoid potential muddiness. I'm basically just going off of recommendations and reviews, because I've never heard any of these components and I have almost no experience with separates.

I'd be willing to go as high as $350 for the amp, but the lower, the better.

Recommendations?

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 122
I'd go with the Nad amp. I'm using a Nad cdp and amp but don't get any muddiness. The amp is the main player when it comes to warmth or brightness IME.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
What about the Cambridge 540A? Any word on its sonic characteristics?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 388
You are looking at all the good ones at the price. You might want to hear a RX-series Yamaha - since this one has a sub out unlike all of your choices, you can add a sony sub for under $100 (sawm 200) , and it will fill in the bass the Athenas lack.

This way, you will have a full sounding system for about the same price. The Yamaha is 80 watts and the it sounds pretty good with the Athenas (with the effects on).

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=333903/search=yamaha%20r x

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 32
I used a cambridge 640A for about a week and it was stellar. I highly reccommend anything in their line.

Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 6
I checked the Rotel website and it shows that the RA-01 does, in fact, have a preamp output that can drive your powered subwoofer. I haven't heard this amp, but it gets a lot of favorable comment on here and elsewhere. Good luck in your hunt!

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 127
The RA-01 doesn't have a remote which in this day & age I find pathetic. The RA-02 is exactly the same amp....but with a remote and it's about $150 more expensive. Ridiculous.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 8
What about sonic performance though? I know the Rotel amp is highly regarded, but I've seen people call it bright. And I haven't been able to find any info about the Cambridge line's sonic "signature."

The remote control thing doesn't bother me too much.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 116
Destro & Ethan,

I did compare the NAD and Cambridge amps you are looking at a while back. They are both nice sounding amps but have quite different sonic characteristics. You really should try to arrange a demo, ideally at home, to see which one suites your equipment and tastes.

I did not audition the Rotel amp as it's lack of remote put me off but sonically it's worthy of inclusion as both the reviews and feedback from those who have heard it are generally favourable.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/10807.html

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 128
The Rotel is very forward sounding and 'bright' but has a nice bass. The Cambridge Azur line are very very warm with what can only be described as a thick mid-band. Not a lot of treble and not a lot of bass in my opinion. Nad are somewhere inbetween.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us