Paradigm Center Channel Speaker Upgrade

Hi All,

Sorry if this subject has already been covered, but I've searched and searched and searched, and I can't come up with a thread that covers EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I've recently upgraded my NAD AV711 receiver to an NAD T752, and now found that I need to upgrade my center channel speaker (does it ever stop?) My current setup is a Paradigm CC-50 center channel speaker, with a pair of Paradigm Phantoms for fronts, and a pair of Paradigm Micros for surrounds (and a Yamaha YST powered subwoofer, whose exact model escapes me at the moment.) I'm not sure of the "version" of these speakers, but considering their age (approximately 6 - 7 years old,) I would expect them to be v1.0.

Since I'm not completely replacing my speaker system and just upgrading the center channel speaker, I was going to stick with the Paradigm and go to the CC-170, CC-270, or on an outside chance the CC-370. Budget wise, I'd like to stick with the CC-170 or CC-270 if possible.

1. With the speakers that I currently have, is one of the current Paradigm Performance Series center channel speakers the way to go?

2. If the answer to number 1 is yes, then which of the three models listed above would be best for my system?

3. Should I consider trying to find something used in the above models (on eBay?) or should I shy away from that and simply buy new?

4. Is there someplace on-line that I can buy this speaker below list price? I followed advice on the NAD T752 receiver and went to Saturday Audio Exchange, had a couple of great conversations with Andy, and now have myself a great receiver at $200 below list price, AND got myself a sweet new NAD T712 DVD player for $100.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If you have questions, please let me know.

Jason

Hawk
Jason:

1. Yes.

2. I would lean toward the 270, but you will need to try them all out at the dealer to be sure.

3. Stick with new (see answer to #1)--you never know what you will get on eBay. Besides, the newer units are better at reproducing the voices than the older Paradigm center speakers.

4. No. Paradigm is one of those manufacturers that has its dealers tied down very tight. congrats on going to Saturday Audio for your receiver and DVD players (great choices), but no luck on Paradigms, I'm afraid.

Hawk - Thanks for the response. You were one of the few that I was really hoping I would get a response from.

I'll be heading down to my local Paradigm dealer to give a listen to them (he's also the local NAD dealer, so I'll have to figure out how I explain to him that I bought a NAD T752, just not from him...)

elitefan
I agree with all Hawk said. I would upgrade to the cc270. That is a very nice center for the money and much better than your current one. I would also consider when your budget allows upgrading your sub to the Paradigm PDR-10.

Thanks for the add on Elitefan. I haven't demo'd the CC-270 yet, but I can't wait to do so. I'm sure I will be going home with one.

Regarding the sub, I was considering adding a second sub rather than upgrading my first. What are your thoughts on this? I'm sure the Paradigm PDR-10 is better than the current sub I have (it was an try level sub at the time,) but I figure adding a second would give me an noticeable improvement.

Looking forward to your response(s)...

elitefan
If you have a large room then a second sub can be a real kick but if your room is medium to small I don't think it's worth it unless you are really into lfe big time. For me one good sub is enough.

Well, the room that I have now isn't that large (12' X 24'), so a second sub may not be nessary. Of course, we're not planning on staying in this house for very much longer, so things will change.

So, if more power isn't necessary, what will I get from upgrading my sub to the Paradigm? The frequency response of subs is limited, so I would have thought that as long as you had enough power that differences in sub performance would be minimal.

Looking forward to a possible education...

elitefan
Jason,
What you will get is a much better sub than what you have now for not much money. The Paradigm subs are not the kind of subs that blow the pictures off your walls but are exceptionally quick and accurate. The PDR10 can be had for less than $350 and come in a couple of nice finishes. Finish your Paradigm system off with a Paradigm sub and you'll really have a nice, balanced, high quality system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us