Klipsch rf-15 vs Dahlton 1500 (long post)

Dazed and Confused
Now that I have your attention.

I last purchased speakers 20 years ago as a poor college student (Kef Cantors) matched with a Hitachi HA-330 integrated amp.

I purchased the Kef cantors because of their mellow/warm sound compared to the advents, avid and other speakers of that era. I was able to hear them with the Hitachi amp that I also purchased.

Up until I read some posts (especially those from Hawk ,Elitefan and some others who really have spent time on this) about matching speakers with receivers, I was totlly unaware that a receiver could have that much influence on the sound. This explained why, when I changed the hitachi for a JVC 709 VBK av receiver I stopped listening to my stereo. I used it to make cassette tapes for the car and to watch tv.

Which is a long way to bring me to my concerns.

I have been auditioning the following speakers:

Klipsch rf-15 (Denon 2803)
MIssion M34 (Denon 2803 and Sony STRDA1000es)
Tannoy Mx3-M (Sony STRDA1000es)
Kef Corda 90 (Nad T742)
and several way out of my snack bracket.

Of the speakers I have auditioned, the missions sounded most like my current KEF's and did not make an impression regardless of the amp used (no slag to Mission fans just my opinion). I did not experience a "WOW" factor like I did when I listened to the Klipsch.

I liked the Tannoys much better than the Missions and was impressed by the KEF Codas but did that have to do with the NAD?.

THE PROBLEM: I had to drive to three different stores to hear all the speakers and could not compare them to each other using the same amp or the same room.

THE QUESTIONS:

1) How does one choose a speaker without hooking it up to the amp you are going to use/buy?

2) Should I purchase an amp and take it with me to the stores? but then I would be limiting myself to a certain speaker /amp combo. This is based on what I have read about matching speakers to amps

3) If you hook up a bright speaker to a bright amp wouldn't that be detrimental to the consumer? Having read that Klipsch and denon should not be used

4) Would it not be in the retailers best interest to demo the speaker amp set up to compliment each other.

I did manage to use the same CD to audition them.

Final question: does anyone have any comments about the Klipsch rf-15 or any of the speakers I have listened to and a matching avr ( comparable to Denon 2803).

I am in Eastern Ontario and will not purchase on line. I want to support local business. I will be purchasing front towers rear surrounds sub and centre speaker at the same time.

Thanks in advance

Binthere Donedat
THE QUESTIONS:

1) How does one choose a speaker without hooking it up to the amp you are going to use/buy?

It is difficult if the speakers you want are at one store but the amp is at another. Go with what sounds good to you , do not worry about what others suggest. Some quality retailers will allow you to demo the speakers/amps at home. This can be time consuming and tiring to bring home different set ups.

2) Should I purchase an amp and take it with me to the stores? but then I would be limiting myself to a certain speaker /amp combo. This is based on what I have read about matching speakers to amps

Again it is what sounds good to you. If you are set on a certain amp which is at one store but you want speakers from another talk to the retailer. They will try to talk you into buying their speakers/amp setup but a quality retailer will also give some advise as to if it is a good match (especially the speaker salesman). Check in to the return refund policy first. If you have made a mistake taking it back should not cause you any grief.

3) If you hook up a bright speaker to a bright amp wouldn't that be detrimental to the consumer? Having read that Klipsch and denon should not be used

Don't worry about what other people's opinions are. It is your ears that will determine what sounds good to you. Use it as a yardstick. If you like Denon and Klipsch then great. Most quality retailers will set up their demo rooms to optimize all the speakers they carry.

4) Would it not be in the retailers best interest to demo the speaker amp set up to compliment each other.

Yes it is. And yes the quality retailers will. They will also hook up any amp in their line up to the speakers of your choice. If they don't want to because they do not believe that it is a good match, walk out. They are in the retail business not the snob business. They should earn your business.

I did manage to use the same CD to audition them.

Final question: does anyone have any comments about the Klipsch rf-15 or any of the speakers I have listened to and a matching avr ( comparable to Denon 2803).

Great choice IF YOU LIKE IT. Again do not worry about the suppose experts say.

Good Luck and tell us what you got.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us