Just a long Shot... Digital Convert to Analogue via phono

Username: Jgrayonline

London, Acton UK

Post Number: 2
Hi All,

I know this might be a bit of a long shot but I've got an old 5.1 surround system that uses phono as front left/ front right, cent,sub, rear left/ rear right.

And now I'm upgrading most of my computers and Monitors to HD as I work as a Freelancer Sound, Camera, Editor.

I'm looking for a digital converter that would take one optical digital line and convert it to an analogue 5.1 phono or jack.

So it would go

IN - Digital optical

Digital to Analogue converter

OUT - Phono/Jack - FL/FR
Phono/Jack - C/S
Phono/Jack - RL/RL

Any answers and messages are greatly appriciated.

Kind regards
James Gray
info@jgrayonline.com

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1237
Are you saying the turntable is 5.1 channels or that the receiver will put sound from the tt into all 5 speakers and the sub? I never heard of a 5.1 turntable and highly doubt such a thing exists or ever did.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1238
Or are you talking about phono/rca jacks as speaker outputs?

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1183
I'm assuming by phono you mean RCA ? If so, what type of receiver do you have ? If you use the optical in on most receivers, it will use the receivers internal dac and output 5.1 to the speakers. You don't need to do an external d-to-a conversion and then go analogue in. I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
Okay Jgray, after re-reading your post a couple of times, I think I've got it. You want to run a digital line from your computer to a DAC and from the DAC, to your HT receiver via RCA jacks and cables, correct? I BELIEVE there such DACs (digital to analog converters) available. Posting your question in the phono section threw me off. I suggest doing a google search, if I were at home, I'd do one, but I can't right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1240
I don't think his receiver has a DAC Chris.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15736

I'd guess Chris is correct and you've confused "Phono" as in turntable with "phono jack" as in RCA. Raw 5.1 audio is not available through a phono (RCA) input/output. Yes, the signals are sent out through RCA's but they are converted in the digital domain to an analog 5.1 format. Again, I'm guessing you understand that as I read your op.

To my knowledge there are no current production outboard DAC's which convert to 5.1 output. You might find something on the pre-owned market but today the conversion exists in the digital domain within either a sound card or a full processor which would include a pre amp or be contained within a receiver. A processor isn't likely to provide the connections you require as 5.1 is not available as a recordable medium, it is playback only in the analog format. If you're just looking to feed analog outs to power amplifiers, then there are several good processors to consider depending on your price. If you're looking to do this with your soundcard a quick search with Google should give some choices. Otherwise, check with Sweetwater for this item; http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=5.1+processor&go=Search Musicians Friend doesn't show anything available through their stores but they might be able to give you a lead on a product if you call. With your location in London(?), this still might not be very helpful. Best bet there is to pick up a local pro sound magazine and check the ads for shops that might stock what you need. I just don't think you're going to be very successful unless Chris and I have really misjudged your question.

To be honest, your question as written is rather confusing and I don't think either Chris or I know exactly what you're looking for.

London, Acton UK

Post Number: 3
Arrgggghhhhh, so sorry guys, was really tired last night and my brain decided that matching words like phono and RCA together was a fun thing to do.

Did a little search that I've been doing for a week now and found what I needed.
http://www.hdcabling.co.za/optical-toslink-or-digital-coaxial-rca-dts-ac3-dolby- digital-51-to-analog-surround-sound-converter-35mm-analog-rca-outputs-pi-229.htm l

Which I found supprisingly easy on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AC3-DTS-Digital-Audio-Decoder-5-1-Audio-Gear-Decoder_W0QQi temZ400174016312QQcategoryZ81741QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo %3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6161872069092013144

but thanks everyone for the answer and I'll be taking a look on sweetwater cheers Jan.

So sorry for any confusion guys and girls, but thank you all for the really quick response. Thats brilliant.

Cheers
J

London, Acton UK

Post Number: 4
That link for ebay was ment to be:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AC3-DTS-5-1-Audio-Gear-Digital-Sound-Decoder-SPDIF-PS3-/11 0631063095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2200e37

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers
J

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
I'm glad you found it J. I hope it all works out for some times talking online when tired is a bad idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us